Page 76 of 98 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1461

I understand it's a somewhat volatile topic, but aren't we still talking about the casting for the JL movie? I don't see how that's off topic.

I think a lot of the changes we see on screen as far as race go are just as much about making a modern interpretation of a very old story as it is about demographics and political correctness.

But while I like Cyborg, I still wish we could get MM as well. Obviously they'd have to downplay or remove his superman powers, but I think he's interesting enough with shape shifting and telepathy.

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    I understand it's a somewhat volatile topic, but aren't we still talking about the casting for the JL movie? I don't see how that's off topic.
    There's nothing off topic about discussing the casting, Whip, but I don't want to read any more about racism or similar topics in this thread. That's for the Community Forum, not here.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Uh, as long as this thread is, is the OP legit? or just speculation?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective
    Warner Bros. announced it in June. Whether or not it actually comes to fruition or stalls is the question, of course.
    The original post is a link from the Los Angeles Times article published in October of this year which got their information from sources at Warner Brothers. The story has since been picked up and reported by most major industry websites including Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, Entertainment Wkly and all the entertainment gossip websites such as AICN, Bleeding Cool, SuperHeroHype, et cetera.

Will Beall ("Gangster Squad") has written a script (also reported by all of the above). WB is in the process of searching for a director.

Man Of Steel director Zack Snyder has confirmed that a Justice League movie is in development and reporters have directly asked him about the rumors that MOS will include a post-credits scene linking MOS to Justice League. Snyder point-blank said he is forbidden to discuss it and even used the word "spoiler."

WB is keeping this tightly under wraps, but everyone knows it's going on. It's absolutely not just a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    Ok. You really don't understand the character.
    Maybe YOU don't understand the character. I've read every Kirby New Gods story (and every Forever People too), I've read the clumsy attempts to integrate Darkseid/New Gods into the DCU proper, I've read the awkward attempts to make him first a Superman villain and then a JLA one. And I've read all that Simonson had to say/draw on the matter as well. I read all of those comics because I was young and I liked them and I appreciate the Kirby/New Gods mythos but I appreciate it for what it is -- a beautiful piece of comic book history filled with cliches and built to appeal to children on the most basic white hat/black hat fashion. The only remotely interesting thing about Darkseid is his relationship with Orion and I can hardly remember the last time there was a focus on that. Certainly there would not be room to explore Orion's story in a JLA movie.

I also know the character well enough to know that he didn't even fight the original JLA (1959-1984) until more than twenty years after the team was formed. In fact, I'd venture a guess that I've read more stories involving Darkseid than you have. I base that on the fact that I've rarely missed a DC comic and I'm 43. That might be the median age here by now but judging from your posts you're considerably less mature; as a generosity I will presume that your ignorance is born of your relative youth.

Regardless, I would never tell someone that they "didn't know" or "didn't understand" a character they didn't like. That's in very poor taste. How about I follow you around telling you that you don't understand characters you don't like? Oh wait, I have a life.

Put Darkseid in a JLA movie and he will be a dead ringer for Darth Vader. I don't care who writes/directs.

Quote Originally Posted by batmanjones View Post

Put Darkseid in a JLA movie and he will be a dead ringer for Darth Vader. I don't care who writes/directs.
    CAVEAT: We don't know that Darkseid is the villain. It's merely a rumor reported by Latino Review. So right now, this whole topic is also just speculation.

I will say the bigger problem isn't Darth Vader; it's Thanos who was a ripoff/copy of Darkseid that Marvel managed to sneak into their movie universe while DC was developing the script for Justice League (and I don't think that's an accident, either--damn Marvel ).

Also, I find your comment that people might think of Darth Vader here kind of silly. Neither Darkseid nor Thanos are cybernetic-equipped humans that wear Iron Man-style armor. The big villains are usually, well, big and wear black and have deep voices. That hardly leads to everyone thinking they're clones of Darth Vadar.

If I'm upset or annoyed with anyone about this situation, it's Marvel for trying to one-up the Justice League movie so they'd have to work extra hard to use Darkseid. Which is why I still hold out a very teeny-tiny bit of hope that WB will return the favor after all and use Brainiac to c0ckb10ck Ulton.

Oddly enough, I do think Darkseid should be handled like Darth Vader in A New Hope, in that he is seen and known, but none of the main cast (save for Kenobi) interact with him directly, until possibly the end.

The last thing I want is an hour-long slug-match between Mongul-Darkseid and Superman and Friends. The Justice League should, just barely, find a way to halt his invasion, in the movie, only for Darkseid to return in a future installment.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I don't know why people keep saying MM's go to alter ego is a black guy. It often isn't. Now and than it is. When I think of MM I think of him as the green alien. Not the human he hides as.
    The thing is that for the last eleven years, J'onn has been portrayed by mostly African American actors in both live action and animated ventures. That's why people say that he could be played by an African American, instead of some white dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    Also, I find your comment that people might think of Darth Vader here kind of silly. Neither Darkseid nor Thanos are cybernetic-equipped humans that wear Iron Man-style armor. The big villains are usually, well, big and wear black and have deep voices. That hardly leads to everyone thinking they're clones of Darth Vadar.
    I didn't mean that people would literally mistake one for the other. I meant that they are both characters whose top two characteristics are that they're evil and generic. Instead of Darth Vader I could have as easily said the guy in the Western with the black hat or The Devil. Each is a stock character with about zero distinguishing features and each is boring.

I'm happy at Marvel for the Thanos teaser. If it means no Darkseid, I'll send them $20 of my own dollars.

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    The thing is that for the last eleven years, J'onn has been portrayed by mostly African American actors in both live action and animated ventures. That's why people say that he could be played by an African American, instead of some white dude.
    There's zero reason why he ever needs to be white again. That's one change that I heartily approve of.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

Man Of Steel director Zack Snyder has confirmed that a Justice League movie is in development and reporters have directly asked him about the rumors that MOS will include a post-credits scene linking MOS to Justice League. Snyder point-blank said he is forbidden to discuss it and even used the word "spoiler."

WB is keeping this tightly under wraps, but everyone knows it's going on. It's absolutely not just a rumor.
    that means we probably wont hear anything about the story until we watch the end of MOS

If I'm upset or annoyed with anyone about this situation, it's Marvel for trying to one-up the Justice League movie so they'd have to work extra hard to use Darkseid. Which is why I still hold out a very teeny-tiny bit of hope that WB will return the favor after all and use Brainiac to c0ckb10ck Ulton.
    NO.I dont want Mos sequel to loose its planned villain because of Justice league.Honestly this is one of the main reasons im not thrilled about Justice league-because there is a chance it cld negatively impact the Man of steel franchise.

Anyways if the Justice league need a non-Thanos like villain they can use Hyperclan.By using them theyd effectivelt be c0kblocking the avengers from using a villain team(Masters of Evil,Squadron supreme) or shapeshifting aliens(skrulls)

CAVEAT: We don't know that Darkseid is the villain. It's merely a rumor reported by Latino Review. So right now, this whole topic is also just speculation.

I will say the bigger problem isn't Darth Vader; it's Thanos who was a ripoff/copy of Darkseid that Marvel managed to sneak into their movie universe while DC was developing the script for Justice League (and I don't think that's an accident, either--damn Marvel ).

This!

Quote Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
    NO.I dont want Mos sequel to loose its planned villain because of Justice league.Honestly this is one of the main reasons im not thrilled about Justice league-because there is a chance it cld negatively impact the Man of steel franchise.

Anyways if the Justice league need a non-Thanos like villain they can use Hyperclan.By using them theyd effectivelt be c0kblocking the avengers from using a villain team(Masters of Evil,Squadron supreme) or shapeshifting aliens(skrulls)
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea either, rather than an alien horde invasion like the Avengers, have a big-screen version of the hyperclan invading earth, only a small vanguard. Maybe.
    Pull list: Aquaman, Batman, Batman Inc, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman Unchained, JLA

Quote Originally Posted by Judge-Dredd View Post
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea either, rather than an alien horde invasion like the Avengers, have a big-screen version of the hyperclan invading earth, only a small vanguard. Maybe.
    With Hyperclan you can avoid the horde alien invasion angle we saw in avengers,rather go with the secret alien invasion angle where the aliens are disguised leader figures in the world and slowly establishing an evil world Government.Wed have the Justice league fighting this evil Governemnt and seeking to expose the leaders for what they really are.Maybe throw in that the Evil Governent has an army of Omacs which they use against the Justice league

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

I think people might still see that as too similar to Avengers. I mean yeah the delivery system is different but don't you eventually have to do a big full on heroes vs invaders action piece? That's going to seem too much of a rip off I think. I'm also glad Marvel got on Thanos quickly. He's an appropriate level for a real future big bad plus he helps bridge the cosmic gulf an tie in Guardians of the Galaxy fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I think people might still see that as too similar to Avengers. I mean yeah the delivery system is different but don't you eventually have to do a big full on heroes vs invaders action piece? That's going to seem too much of a rip off I think.
    The invaders are very diffferent though.The Hyperclan isnt an army of mindless robot like aliens like chitauri.The Hyperclan are just 7 diverse Alien warriors-basically a supervillain team.So by having a different delivery system and very different Alien invaders the avenger comparisons will be avoided
    Last edited by Zionite1; 12-05-2012 at 02:57 PM.