Page 50 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Blasphemy I say, blasphemy!

Regardless of Marvel's constant sidelining of the character (joining the X-Men, what?) he still is awesome. I don't find Aquaman as compelling. I thought the pilot for 'Mercy Reef' was good, and I have no doubt that an interesting flick could be made off of him but as of now? I don't get the attraction. The SWORD OF ATLANTIS series Busiek did was a hundred times better than what Johns is doing now.
    For a long time they were trying to make Aquaman more like Namor ever since at least the 80s if i recall.

Which is still miles better than what Geoff Johns is doing to him right now.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

For a long time they were trying to make Aquaman more like Namor ever since at least the 80s if i recall.

Exactly. Namor did all this "trouble with the surface world" and "disenfranchised king" stuff years ago, and with much more gravitas. It's a real shame that there's no Sub-Mariner comic out nowadays, I used to devour those as a lad. Aquaman only started to pique my interest around the time Peter David took over, and that was a much more Namor-lite type of book. Great stuff mind ya, but Namor-lite.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zinx View Post
    surely you dont claim that the whole things in First Class is the contribution of its director alone?�hing from its producer,screenwriter or other staffs?
    a film wouldn't get a go without approval from its producer.
    i believe both of them had the same vision for First Class.
    Well, unless there's excessive fiddling and the director can't have the final cut, it's his or her vision, and Mathew Vaughn's vision was fresher and different than anything to come down the superhero movie road in a long time.

Strong directors can pick producers and vice versa, and Mathew Vaughn is more a career producer and writer than director. And he doesn't do sequels (he passed on directing the sequel to Kick-Ass) and is reportedly working on a different project with Mark Millar.

Vaughn also wrote the treatment for X-Men: Days of Future Past, and my guess he'll let Bryan Singer helm it because Vaughn has the hot-right-now buzz to choose his projects and Singer is probably begging for work after his lousy record as a filmmaker. With First Class, Vaughn probably realized he should take advantage of his leverage that resulted in Fox accidentally making a good movie.

He probably figures Fox's cheap take on its trove of Marvel characters is the norm and can make more money doing something else. Singer has a little 'ol following and he'll probably work for Fox for peanuts by now.
    Last edited by Alan Smithee; 11-05-2012 at 11:48 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Namor's a poor man's Aquaman at best. Regardless of the fact he was created first.
    Steve Carrell brought a gravitas to the Aquaman character that clearly put him thousands of leagues ahead of the Submareeeeenerrrr!

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 11-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Exactly. Namor did all this "trouble with the surface world" and "disenfranchised king" stuff years ago, and with much more gravitas. It's a real shame that there's no Sub-Mariner comic out nowadays, I used to devour those as a lad. Aquaman only started to pique my interest around the time Peter David took over, and that was a much more Namor-lite type of book. Great stuff mind ya, but Namor-lite.

Namor is Moonknight to Aquaman's Batman

re: 2015

Where does Star Wars now factor it this? I'd assume it would be a summer movie but with Avengers & Justice League. That's a busy summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFever View Post

Where does Star Wars now factor it this? I'd assume it would be a summer movie but with Avengers & Justice League. That's a busy summer.
    Traditionally, Star Wars movies come out around Memorial Day weekend...So Disney will have Avengers 2 May 1st, and then two more weeks to itself probably. So if JL does come out 4th of July weekend, Star Wars should be winding down by that time. I wouldn't think it will be a problem.
    "Nice girls don't wear Cha-Cha Heels"
    -John Water's Female Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post

If you're into the whole making Aquaman extremely edgy and look like a hobo with a hook, I guess you would prefer the 90s Aquaman. (Not 80s, they didn't do much with him in the 80s)
    I was never into the PAD or Kurt Busiek version of Aquaman. I much prefer the Silver age Aquaman and the current iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    If you're into the whole making Aquaman extremely edgy and look like a hobo with a hook, I guess you would prefer the 90s Aquaman. (Not 80s, they didn't do much with him in the 80s)
    I was never into the PAD or Kurt Busiek version of Aquaman. I much prefer the Silver age Aquaman and the current iteration.
    I liked Pads version of him a lot yes.

And if you read some of the Aquaman books or even Justice League Detroit that came out during the 80's he was a very angsty character who could be kind of a dick.. which is a lot like Namor most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    I liked Pads version of him a lot yes.

And if you read some of the Aquaman books or even Justice League Detroit that came out during the 80's he was a very angsty character who could be kind of a dick.. which is a lot like Namor most of the time.
    I read some trades but he wasn't as angsty as how he was in the 90s IMO. I love the whole Death of the Prince storyline and enjoyed him in Aquaman Archives. Which were all in the 70s. Those were my favourite version of Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Namor is Moonknight to Aquaman's Batman
    Pretty sure Namor was created first, so it would be the other way around.
    Edit: Yep, Namor 1939, Aquaman, 1941.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Yeah and the 'Shield' came out 14 months before Captain America, but that doesn't make him the definitive patriotic superhero.
    Personally I think Aquaman is the definitive water based superhero. Also he's way more known to the public.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHIELD+2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	103843

(BTW I liked the shield comic while it lasted at DC, but he's no captain america)
    Last edited by Judge-Dredd; 11-05-2012 at 07:45 AM.
    Pull list: Aquaman, Batman, Batman Inc, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman Unchained, JLA

Quote Originally Posted by Judge-Dredd View Post
    Yeah and the 'Shield' came out 14 months before Captain America, but that doesn't make him the definitive patriotic superhero.
    Personally I think Aquaman is the definitive water based superhero. Also he's way more known to the public.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHIELD+2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	103843

(BTW I liked the shield comic while it lasted at DC, but he's no captain america)
    I agree more people know Aquaman, but mainly as the butt of a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Already stated that on the last page. Was talking terms of popularity not who came first. And your really splitting straws from 39 to 41

Quote Originally Posted by DrFever View Post

As awesome as it will hopefully be, I don't consider taking 2, maybe 3 (I'm waiting for the Star Wars preview before I decide) nights in a 3 month period to go to the movies "busy".
    Last edited by dupersuper; 11-07-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...