Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 88
  1. #46
    Veteran Member GambitXRemy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    I always laugh when people mention Stan, whose run wasn't that long or very good. Most of the early X-Men stories people remember were from Roy Thomas.

    That being said, Gillen had a great run, and I really enjoyed it. I hope he gets to come back one day.
    my first comics were x-men the early years by jack and stan so i have a personal fondness for them

    ive read review on uncanny x-men 20 and reviewers are saying its up there with grant morrison

  2. #47
    ... Dr. Sonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    13,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    I always laugh when people mention Stan, whose run wasn't that long or very good. Most of the early X-Men stories people remember were from Roy Thomas.
    That being said, Gillen had a great run, and I really enjoyed it. I hope he gets to come back one day.
    Yeah, Stan Lee didn't write that many X-Men stories at all.
    Still, as the team's co-creator, along with Jack Kirby, he warrants recognition and a degree of reverence on any list of the great X-Men writers.
    Totally agree in regards to hoping KG gets a chance to return to the X-books in the not so distant future...
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

  3. #48
    Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayiteb View Post
    The final chapter was good, but I think we should have gotten a page with the entire extinction team on it. This really did feel like another issue. But I guess it's being wrapped up and then continued in consequences and ANXM, so we can let it slide. Great series Gillen. I have no interest in Young Avengers but I am reading it simply because of how much I loved your rUn on UXM
    Read Journey Into Mystery then. Shows some of Gillen's finest work, and will introduce you to the absolute awesomeness that is Kid Loki.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    I always laugh when people mention Stan, whose run wasn't that long or very good. Most of the early X-Men stories people remember were from Roy Thomas.

    That being said, Gillen had a great run, and I really enjoyed it. I hope he gets to come back one day.
    I think he was talking about in terms of influence, not necessarily quality (although Stan and Jack had some very good stuff, specially the Sentinels story).

    And Stan and Jack in less than 20 issues introduced the O5, Xavier, Magneto, Juggernaut, Sentinels, the Brotherhood, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Mastermind, mutantkind itself as a different group than humans, and the X-men as hated and feared by the people they are sworn to protect (although not to the extent it was developed in Claremont's run), and that's just from the top of my head. Without all those characters and concepts, there would be no X-books today.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

    I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!


    Donald M.

  4. #49
    Kind of a DB 0bsessions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston/Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Regino View Post
    He's fine. I don't have a problem with him. I think he was hamstrung by editorial. All in all, I don't think he'll have a lasting impact on the book, which, to me, both CC and Morrison did.
    Lasting impact?

    Outside of Cyclops/Emma, what about Morrison's run is still even a consideration? Shit, even cat Beast has effectively been ignored at least half the time over the last few years.

    -Booming mutant population? Retconned with House of M.
    -Magneto/Xorn? Retconned to hell within like two months.
    -Cyclops is a pussy? Whedon did away with that right quick.
    -Fantomex? Dead, dead, dead.

    Most of his ideas were quickly swept under the rug. Some of them have been revisited, but by and large Morrison has had almost no lasting impact on the X-Men franchise. Damn near everything he did was undone within a year or two to bring it back in line with the Claremont status quo.

  5. #50
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Hindu Kush
    Posts
    59,851

    Default

    What Claremont status quo?

  6. #51
    Kind of a DB 0bsessions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston/Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    What Claremont status quo?
    I should probably have clarified it:

    Claremont, amidst his racism analogues, did a lot of work turning the X-Men into conventional "super heroes." While they still faced plenty of mutant centric stuff, a good chunk of Claremont's early run was the X-Men tackling general threats (Cosmic stuff, Moses Magnum, the Savage Land, etc).

    Whedon went in a similar direction and Fraction seemed to grab on to that too.

    As "progressive" as Morrison's run was considered, he did a lot of backtracking the the early era with making the X-Men remarkably bubbled up.

  7. #52
    X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    For me, it's CC at #1 and Gillen at #2. I hated Fraction's run, but KG brought me back in. Glad I did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Read Journey Into Mystery then. Shows some of Gillen's finest work, and will introduce you to the absolute awesomeness that is Kid Loki.
    After reading the Point One yesterday, the Young Avengers story stuck out to me...specifically because of Kid Loki. It's got me interested in the character. Where is a good place to start on Kid Loki (Journey Into Mystery)?

  8. #53
    Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    For me, it's CC at #1 and Gillen at #2. I hated Fraction's run, but KG brought me back in. Glad I did.



    After reading the Point One yesterday, the Young Avengers story stuck out to me...specifically because of Kid Loki. It's got me interested in the character. Where is a good place to start on Kid Loki (Journey Into Mystery)?
    He first appeared in Thor #617, but Journey Into Mystery begins with #622.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

    I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!


    Donald M.

  9. #54
    Veteran Member Regino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    Lasting impact?

    Outside of Cyclops/Emma, what about Morrison's run is still even a consideration? Shit, even cat Beast has effectively been ignored at least half the time over the last few years.

    -Booming mutant population? Retconned with House of M.
    -Magneto/Xorn? Retconned to hell within like two months.
    -Cyclops is a pussy? Whedon did away with that right quick.
    -Fantomex? Dead, dead, dead.

    Most of his ideas were quickly swept under the rug. Some of them have been revisited, but by and large Morrison has had almost no lasting impact on the X-Men franchise. Damn near everything he did was undone within a year or two to bring it back in line with the Claremont status quo.
    Emma/Scott; Jean Grey staying dead; the World and Fantomex; Death of Darkstar; Dust; Quentin Quire; Sublime; Cassandra Nova; Phoenix and White Hot Room.
    Pot+Kettle - "This post went so full retard that it had to be quoted."

  10. #55
    Junior Member Thrive2Mix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Havent read it yet!
    But it is on my list! (Have been re-reading the entire series from start to finish)

  11. #56
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Regino View Post
    Emma/Scott; Jean Grey staying dead; the World and Fantomex; Death of Darkstar; Dust; Quentin Quire; Sublime; Cassandra Nova; Phoenix and White Hot Room.
    Also the genocide of Genosha, that's a big one.

    @Alpha Omega: I may check it out. I even less interested in that than Young Avengers though.

  12. #57
    Veteran Member GambitXRemy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,637

    Default

    Im just glad Gillen didnt try to change the x-men if you know what i mean or go in and try to make a mark and turn everything upside down

  13. #58
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GambitXRemy View Post
    Im just glad Gillen didnt try to change the x-men if you know what i mean or go in and try to make a mark and turn everything upside down
    With only 20 issues, and almost half of them devoted to AvX, he really wasn't given much of an opportunity to.

  14. #59
    Veteran Member GambitXRemy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayiteb View Post
    With only 20 issues, and almost half of them devoted to AvX, he really wasn't given much of an opportunity to.
    true but i think thats what makes it more better

  15. #60
    Your Move DarthCyclopsRLZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canuck Land
    Posts
    15,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayiteb View Post
    With only 20 issues, and almost half of them devoted to AvX, he really wasn't given much of an opportunity to.
    Gillen wrote 11 issues prior to the relaunch and contributed to another four.

    Damn, now that I think of it, it's such a shame we never did find out what the hell happened to Penny Newsom.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •