Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GambitXRemy View Post
    not a fan of kg
    He's fine. I don't have a problem with him. I think he was hamstrung by editorial. All in all, I don't think he'll have a lasting impact on the book, which, to me, both CC and Morrison did.
    Pot+Kettle - "This post went so full retard that it had to be quoted."

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Cool, i like Gillen. But i fucking demand my Fraction Uncanny-bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Regino View Post
    He's fine. I don't have a problem with him. I think he was hamstrung by editorial. All in all, I don't think he'll have a lasting impact on the book, which, to me, both CC and Morrison did.
    1. Stan/CC
    2.Morrison
    3.Gillen
    4.Joss
    5.rick

CTT Grand High Priest Windrider's Avatar

not a fan of kg
    Not a fan either. Glad his run is ending. His run was decent and I'd rank him above Fraction but well below the well known x-writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Windrider View Post
    Not a fan either. Glad his run is ending. His run was decent and I'd rank him above Fraction but well below the well known x-writers.
    Yeah, not a huge fan but several notches above Fraction(which isn't saying much considering Fraction's run was pretty awful). Taking into consideration runs between Uncanny and Adjectiveless, I still think Mike Carey's initial X-Men run---before it morphed into an Xavier-centric then Rogue-centric book---is the best X-Men run of the last decade next to Morrison's.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Still with that tired canard? Here's the thing, Morrison's run is overrated, Fraction's is underrated. And Joss Whedon's doesn't even belong in the conversation. He's basically writing his Buffy characters, but with X-names.

I like Fraction's run. His stuff was my first venture into comics. I really like KG's run. It's we won't get to see what he could have crafted without AvX looming in the distance. Hopefully he comes back.

BANNED

mediocre. not up to par with gillen's other marvel work.
    good follow-up to fraction though, pretty seamless transition.

Lol, Fraction and Whedon. Begone from this thread!

KG's was a fantastic run. At its best, for me it evoked the same excitement for the text that Morrison's did, though with less scope and depth. But as others have pointed out Morrison and CC aren't the only two great X-Men writers from the past. But Gillen is definitely up there.

Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    His run on Uncanny was fantastic. My favourite since Morrison. A feat of sheer genius. But Generation Hope was in better hands with Asmus.
    With you. Generation Hope got off to a very rocky start under KG.

BANNED

the good gen hope issues were as good or better than any of his uncanny issues

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelGirlBoy View Post
    Lol, Fraction and Whedon. Begone from this thread!

KG's was a fantastic run. At its best, for me it evoked the same excitement for the text that Morrison's did, though with less scope and depth. But as others have pointed out Morrison and CC aren't the only two great X-Men writers from the past. But Gillen is definitely up there.

With you. Generation Hope got off to a very rocky start under KG.
    Fraction and gillen both made the five lights so gillen involvment was even before he started writing for uncanny x-men so I guess what I'm trying to say is that the first arc of gen hope was plotted by both gillen and fraction so you can see why it started off a bit rocky

BANNED

I absolutely love Gillens' run. The writing was great, but I am simply more compelled by the over arching theme of power and how it corrupts. The X-men stopped being super heroes and became an army doing whatever it takes to survive.

The best thing about Gillen's run(post schism in particular) was the extinction team itself, as far as super hero teams go this cast has to be my all time favorite. I never really cared for Namor, but he was so lovable here. Always thought Colossus was boring, but because of the Juggernaut and damnation I couldn't get enough of him. Even Hope who has been a total bitch in AvX and was obnoxious in Generation Hope was likable. When I reread the comics I totally forget that I hate her(I think when Hope isn't written as the center of attention or as leader, and instead just another team member then she is amiable enough). The only character who bored me a bit was Storm, and even she had her purpose as Cyclops' conscience.

It would have been great to see where this book had gone without AvX's interference. That being said the UXM tie-ins were by far the best of the bunch. I really didn't like the Sinister arc, but those were the only poor issues of the run. The first 3 AvX tie-ins were bloody fantastic.

The final chapter was good, but I think we should have gotten a page with the entire extinction team on it. This really did feel like another issue. But I guess it's being wrapped up and then continued in consequences and ANXM, so we can let it slide. Great series Gillen. I have no interest in Young Avengers but I am reading it simply because of how much I loved your rUn on UXM

BANNED

Double post
    Last edited by Ayiteb; 10-18-2012 at 09:51 AM.

KG has crafted one of my all time favorite runs on X-Men; easily up there with Morrison.
    I'm bummed that it's ended so soon, but the one silver lining is that the brevity of it basically meant that there wasn't a single wasted issue or uninspired tale.
    I liked Fraction's run a great deal as well. Yet it was much longer and there were a few arcs where it just didn't work for me. In that it was a truncated run for KG, there was never any issues where he seemed at all bored with writing the story - sort of like a light burning super fast and super bright, it can only last so long.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

1. Stan/CC
    I always laugh when people mention Stan, whose run wasn't that long or very good. Most of the early X-Men stories people remember were from Roy Thomas.

That being said, Gillen had a great run, and I really enjoyed it. I hope he gets to come back one day.
    "That's the thing about the Phoenix. There always has to be destruction... Before rebirth. " - Scott Summers