Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE: Mignola's Abe Sapien Awakens To "The Dark And Terrible"

The beloved fishman of the B.P.R.D. steps into his solo adventures in a major way in "The Dark And Terrible." Creator Mike Mignola explains why a supernatural future was awaiting Abe Sapien all along, with exclusive art.

Full article here.

Yeah. I think I'll be giving this one a shot.

One thing I'm confused about, is this an ongoing or a mini-series?
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

It's an ongoing storyline tackled in a series of miniseries. Dark and Terrible will be first running for three issues. It will be immediately followed by a two-issue miniseries that hasn't yet been formally announced drawn by Max Fiumara.

I find it fun that Mike is finally getting around to revisiting this one by fleshing it out formally into a full blown story. I always liked the title and hearing Mike drop hints here and there for years about it made me wonder what the actual story would be like were it fully formed. Thankfully I'll now get the chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Hill View Post
    I find it fun that Mike is finally getting around to revisiting this one by fleshing it out formally into a full blown story. I always liked the title and hearing Mike drop hints here and there for years about it made me wonder what the actual story would be like were it fully formed.
    Oh yeah, much agreed.

Although 'fleshing it out formally'? I already found it way special and cool that it got shared with readers, the kind of abandoned pages (The Island) or either future storylines as starting to look redundant due to getting encapsulated by actuality, such as how 'Dark and Terrible' got described as in one of the Library Editions years ago.
    Like for sharing or pointing towards what the actual managing of these books both as the making of them could be like?

It's so cool that Scott Allie pointed out how the earlier incarnation of 'Dark And Terrible' on the one hand appeared as needing to get bypassed or overthrown, but on the other that there was little desire to be doing so. And lo: a good couple of years later an incarnation of it will be put out there after all!

The fact that this storyline is gonna place Abe into a full-fleshed destiny-quest of his own has everything fitting for me again. Like finding my car keys in my coat pocket, after having wrestled a flock of monkees above ocean level pretty carelessly.
    And this fitting or the moving key characters like Abe and Liz away from normal B.P.R.D. continuity has also already gotten mentioned or anticipated on in interviews, I do believe.
    Like such would be for benefitting the scope of things, like solo stuff would mainly work better for any individually reality-shattering kind of material.

So yeah, I feel like I'm in a restaurant, with diggin' it much, like: "Bring it, baby!"
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-13-2013 at 05:29 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

I remember reading somewhere, no idea where, that they basically threw out all of the backstory they had for him for the original 'Dark and Terrible' after they decided on his Victorian past rather than something Atlantean. I think it's just as likely we won't see anything related to those old designs we saw for it... at least, not anything set in his past, if that makes any sense. Then again, something had to build that undersea temple, and something worshipped that artifact Caul found down there. But I'm not sure how or if that could relate to a future, post-apocalypse race of man.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they pull him back out of being a 'regular guy' like he's tried to be for so long and stick him in some weird situations. It's definitely time for him to figure some things out, I think. And so much of his story and the mythos surrounding his life is actually pretty confusing or unclear if you think about it too much. Here's hoping we get some answers too.