Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sledgehammer 44

Default Sledgehammer 44

A two-issue story by John Arcudi, originally written for John Severin, with art by Jason Latour.

I just ran across that in Hellmail, they didn't give us anything other than that to go on so I wonder what exactly it will be about. Is it a BPRD story? A follow up to Serverin's previous Witchfinder story?

Either way the title sounds neat.

It's not a BPRD story, but what it is I have no idea.

A little more information, aparently it has to do with the second generation of the vril suit.

"Sledgehammer '44" with art by Jason Latour on tap for March. The marketing copy tags this as "Mike Mignola's version of Iron Man." How does that specific kind of thing build up, and does it connect to the present in ways we might not see?

Mignola: I think it's kind of fair to say that John is moving things forward while I'm stuck in the past. [Laughs] There's so much history that is underdeveloped, and when I look at this giant chunk of time, I go, "Gee, we've got nothing going on in World War II. Lobster Johnson died before World War II, and the B.P.R.D./Hellboy stuff started at the end of World War II. Wouldn't it be nice if we had something going on during the war?" So I had created the prototype for this character in the first Lobster Johnson series -- "The Iron Prometheus" -- and back when we did that, I'd already done a design for a second generation of the V.E.S. suit. I'd had the design since way back then, and I always knew there would be a second version of the character, but it was just laying on the mental shelf waiting for the right artist to come along.

That's a big part of the game for our stuff. I've got a lot of different projects. We just need to find the right artist and the right timing. Here, we had Jason Latour come along, and I said, "I bet that guy would do a great World War II book." And that's how that happened.
    Sounds pretty great to me.

I'm gonna throw out a guess and say it takes place in 1944. I feel like the no more stories in the past thing isn't true anymore, between this and Vampire

Sidney Leach Defender rubberchickenben's Avatar

From the link in the #100 thread, it seems to involve the use of the Vril suit from The Iron Prometheus during World War II.

Sweet... looking forward to this. I know Mike mentioned on Facebook a while back he was watching a lot of films and television shows about the French resistance and the SOE during WWII so maybe that was research for this?

BANNED

Looks great! I love the fact that he is wearing a uniform over the robotic body!

I can't resist these previews on ComicsAlliance... I have no self-control. Plus, the Mignola covers are incredible!

Man there are so many BPRD books coming out now!

Dark Horse should just directly withdraw all my money from my bank account each month.
    Ars longa, vita brevis
    www.mscorley.blogspot.com

I think this just became my new favourite comic... i don't even need to see any more...

Default Snipets - Part 1

Here's some of the work in progress images Jason Latour posted on his Twitter before the project was announced (shown newest to oldest). Not all of these may be from Sledgehammer '44:

Default Snipets - Part 2

Default Snipets - Part 3

Default Snipets - Part 4