Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Cyber Force, #1

Mark Silvestri brings "Cyber Force" back to the new comic rack with artist Khoi Pham for a fourth volume at no cost to readers.

Full review here.

The only reason I got this issue is because it's free. And the cover is really nice. But otherwise, there's nothing else about the comic that would have made me want to buy it. But then I read it. And it's a really solid book. The interior art is some of Pham's best work and I feel intrigued enough to come back for the second issue.

My only reservation is that it's a relaunch of a 90's era book, one of the founding titles of the 90's aesthetic. I worry that eventually, that's all this book is going to be: a retread of an idea way past it's prime.

But issue #1 doesn't feel that way and that's enough to make me come back for issue #2. Let's see if #2 makes me want to come back for #3.
    If this were the gospel truth, your bushes would be on fire. - Warren Ellis

Current Faves: Flash, WW, Batman, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Hellboy, X-Men, Conan The Barbarian, Saga, It-Girl

I enjoyed it. At this point it pretty much seems like a straight retelling of the original Cyberforce #1, albeit wrapped in a steampunk-esque aesthetic, but the art was great and im looking forward to seeing if itll develop differently further down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
    The only reason I got this issue is because it's free. And the cover is really nice. But otherwise, there's nothing else about the comic that would have made me want to buy it. But then I read it. And it's a really solid book. The interior art is some of Pham's best work and I feel intrigued enough to come back for the second issue.

My only reservation is that it's a relaunch of a 90's era book, one of the founding titles of the 90's aesthetic. I worry that eventually, that's all this book is going to be: a retread of an idea way past it's prime.

But issue #1 doesn't feel that way and that's enough to make me come back for issue #2. Let's see if #2 makes me want to come back for #3.
    I'm pretty sure the first 5 issues are free as well, so you can check them out. That's what I'll do. On the issue, it was good. Pham's art was the best I've seen from him. The story is interesting and the dialogue was good. There was not much character work, but that to be expected in a #1 with a big cast. Eagerly waiting for #2. Hope it's a $2.99 book. Does anyone know the price of this book once the free issues are gone?

I dont think its been announced yet. Although every other book Top Cow put out is $2.99 so hopefully itll be the same,

I've never read Cyber Force. What made me pick up this book was the art, I saw it in previews a few months back and did some reading on the first run and decide to pick th is up. I read it and was amazed by the art and intrigue by the story. I'll continue with it while its free and if it continues to impress I'll have to add yet another Image title to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I dont think its been announced yet. Although every other book Top Cow put out is $2.99 so hopefully itll be the same,
    The first 5 issues will be free. Hopefully that will bring a solid readership when they start charging (its worth noting that as they beat their Kickstarter target they mentioned they might try and do #6 for free as well.)

The solicit for #4:
    CYBER FORCE #4
    story MARC SILVESTRI & MATT HAWKINS
    art KHOI PHAM & SUNNY GHO
    cover MARC SILVESTRI
    JANUARY 16
    32 PAGES / FC / T+
    FREE (A $2.99 VALUE!)
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=41707

So after the free issues it will be $2.99 .

I might have skipped this first issue if it cost anything, but it's a strong first chapter that goes a long way toward salvaging Cyber Force from its beginnings as a showy but unimaginative reworking of the X-Men. As another poster has mentioned, the story runs parallel to the mini-series published in 1992 but places the characters in a more intriguing world, one that combines futuristic technology with the trappings of old-world aristocracy, from armored sentries to horseback riding and royal insignia. In its imagery and tone, this book feels much closer to the video-game worlds of Dishonored or Deus Ex than the comic-book universes of Marvel, DC, or first-generation Image. The retro-futurism of this Cyber-Force has less in common with other super-hero books than the mainstream of science-fiction in games and prose. The plot once again follows the teenage Velocity (with the naivete of Jubilee and the two-toned hair of Rogue) as she escapes into the arms of renegade cybernetic agents. But this new series emphasizes the paranoia, intrigue, and ticking doomsday clock of Hunter-Killer over the macho action of the original Cyber-Force.

Unlike Marc Silvestri or his spiritual successor Kenneth Rocafort, artists who favor ornate scratchy lines and exaggerated anatomy, Khoi Pham delivers a comparatively clean-lined style that emphasizes movement, gesture, and narrative clarity over panel-by-panel stylization. I've admired Pham's crisp storytelling on X-Men: Legacy and Daredevil, but his work here looks much more finished and less sketch-like than some of those earlier issues. It would be unfair, though, to neglect Silvestri's artistic contribution. His cover indulges some of his frustrating stylistic vices, but he also replaces the steel bands that coated everything cybernetic in the 90s with biomechanical ridges and scales that give the characters a more unique and unsual appearance.

This is the best value of the week. And I might have felt the same way even if I had paid for it.
    Last edited by Cryptid; 10-19-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

Haven't been to the shop. I bet they are all gone now.

Ill be interested to see if this series will eventually be shown to sync up in the same universe as the other Top Cow books. The current setting makes it seem unlikly (unless Jackie decided to recreate the entire work save Pittsburgh in the same visual/technological mould.) but then we have the likes of Aphrodite IV showing up whom i cant imagine is gone from the Artifacts/Witchblade/Darkness-verse forever, being a previous Artifact bearer and all.
    Maybe they'll eventually crossover from another dimension like the fantasy realm as seen in Witchblade recently.
    Or what ould be cool is if this Cyberforce universe is what became of the old world after Jackie created a new one.

I put this on my pull list because it was free. I have never had any exposure to Cyberforce before now. I'm probably gonna drop it even though the next four are free - just didn't grab me at all.
    PULL: Chew, Walking Dead, Saga, Batman, Lil' Gotham, Bedlam, Hellboy in Hell, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, The Wake, Sex, Trillium, Miracleman, Sandman Overture, Rocket Girl, Sex Criminals

Also picked it up because it was free, although my LCS charged a minimal fee for the issue to cover transportation costs which seems reasonable to me. Haven't read it yetbut I'm looking forward to it when I work thru the rest of my stack.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Also picked it up because it was free, although my LCS charged a minimal fee for the issue to cover transportation costs which seems reasonable to me. Haven't read it yetbut I'm looking forward to it when I work thru the rest of my stack.
    How much did they charge you? My LCS wanted .50 cents. I said thanks but no thanks. Comixology will suffice.
    PULL DC:Batman Inc., Batman, B&R, Flash, WW-MARVEL: New, Young, Uncanny and Vanilla Avengers, DD, JiM, WATXM-IMAGE: Luther Strode, Prophet, Manhattan Projects

The Silly Symbiote! Spectral Entity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chronin View Post
    How much did they charge you? My LCS wanted .50 cents. I said thanks but no thanks. Comixology will suffice.
    Mine was 50 cents as well. I was pleasantly surprised as I just picked up the book on a whim thinking it was another normal release.