Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks for posting this, gonna send for a script myself.

Default Topcow Talent Hunt

Here's page 5 of my submission.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Topcow Talent Hunt Pg 5 001 (659x1024).jpg  

What I would like to see, is a reset, or the formation of a new universe - either Top Cow does it, or another mid tier comic book company to compete with the majors. Rather than re-hash, create a new universe, all new characters. These companies need to take a risk. Which, could be a e-comic book universe, solely for the electronic market, non paper. Organize a talent search and begin a whole new dynamic.

Paul Penna

It's amazing how many people are complaining about not knowing the characters or it being too difficult.

They're trying to challenge us.

I, for one, have loved doing research on these characters.

I'm formulating an idea based on Glorianna Silver and Michael Finnegan.

It's tough but I'm enjoying myself.

As a writer, I enjoy a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauul View Post
    It's amazing how many people are complaining about not knowing the characters or it being too difficult.

They're trying to challenge us.

I, for one, have loved doing research on these characters.

I'm formulating an idea based on Glorianna Silver and Michael Finnegan.

It's tough but I'm enjoying myself.

As a writer, I enjoy a challenge.
    Me too, to all of the above.

Bah, your being a scot gives you a superior ear for the dialog, you bastard. :)
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by A.Glass View Post
    What I would like to see, is a reset, or the formation of a new universe - either Top Cow does it, or another mid tier comic book company to compete with the majors. Rather than re-hash, create a new universe, all new characters. These companies need to take a risk. Which, could be a e-comic book universe, solely for the electronic market, non paper. Organize a talent search and begin a whole new dynamic.
    You pretty much described what Top Cow did months ago.

The Talent Hunt is to deepen characters that aren't The Darkness/Witchblade/Magdalena/Angelus. It's primarily for one-shots or a small mini-series, where we take currently established characters that HAVE NOT been seen in the new Top Cow Universe, and give them a fresh squeeze of interesting juice. Assume going into this contest that the script you submit will not be the script that gets printed in a year or two whenever the mini-series will be released. It might share a few characteristics, but make it be very clear: this is a work for hire project, designed to give a few lucky people a "break" into the industry while also learning to work IN the industry for a major publisher.

Which is why it isn't allowing new characters. That's a legal mess that Top Cow doesn't need nor want. They've already got dozens and dozens of characters from years of books, and they've got a completely new universe where things have been changed around drastically, giving us - the writers and artists - a virtual clean slate to work with. They don't want an amazing idea you've had bouncing around in your head disguised as one of their characters, they want ideas that involve their characters and are fresh and interesting. Speaking in generalities here: Save your own amazing idea for your own amazing book.

Going into this contest blind and ignorant will only get you dismissed, as the submissions from talented and informed aritsts/writers will absolutely destroy the submissions from the uninformed.

Any writers want to share a few ideas/trials and tribulations/thoughts, perhaps via PM? Could be fun to discuss, and I have to assume no one is going to steal anyone else's stuff, since you'd both be out of the running.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I'm doing the artist talent hunt. I met with Marc and Matt last week. Matt looked at my portfolio and took down my Deviant Art page. I have to get my pages scanned and on my DA, but he seemed real positive. Seemed like a nice guy and gave me quite a bit of his time.

I have a writing question. I've tried searching for this on the Top Cow boards, but I can't find anything, and it won't let me register to post my own, some kind of error.

I know that the rules say "no new/original characters," and obviously that means no creating new heroes/villains, or no using the guys I created when I was 10 years old, etc. But does that also include smaller, supporting characters? For instance... if I wanted to do a story about Nottingham encountering a moral dilemma, whether or not to go out of his way to save the life of some innocent girl that reminds him of his little sister or something (not my actual idea, just an example), would I be able to actually create the "innocent girl" character, as just a one-off to help the plot? It sounds to me like they want us to create stories where we ONLY use the characters on the list... which is challenging, it means basically writing about these characters in a vacuum, cut off from the rest of the world (more or less). Not impossible, I just want to make sure I do it right and don't get disqualified for having my main characters interact with the world at large, even if it's just some random guy at the hot dog stand or something.

Thanks.

Page limit for Artists?

How do you submit a signed submissions agreement when they only accept submissions digitally?

Quote Originally Posted by Double L View Post
    How do you submit a signed submissions agreement when they only accept submissions digitally?
    My first guess would be that you are supposed to print it out, sign the actual piece of paper, scan it, and then include the scanned image of the signed document as part of your submissions package?

Here are a few pencils from my submission:

Nice work Chris. Let us know if you hear anything.

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, but I also entered Top Cow's Talent Hunt. These are a few pages for you to see, I hope you guys like them :)
    http://jgmiranda.deviantart.com/art/...ss-4-344292796
    http://jgmiranda.deviantart.com/art/...ss-5-344292911
    http://jgmiranda.deviantart.com/art/...nd-7-344292981

I'm sorry for the links but I can't post images, I don't really know why.

Enjoy.