Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Before Watchmen: Minutemen #4

"You tell them, Hollis. Tell them all what they did to us!" And don't miss the latest sensational chapter of the CRIMSON CORSAIR, from writer and artist JOHN HIGGINS.

Full preview here.

Did anyone read this?

When I originally read Minutemen #1, I decided not to go any further with the series as there were a few things which bothered me about the issue, in context to the original Watchmen storyline.

A few weeks ago, I decided, on a whim, to check out issues 2 & 3, since Darwyn Cooke is generally a reliable writer. I ended up liking the books, so I decided to put Minutemen #4 on my pull-list.

While reading it, I felt it to be the best issue of Minutemen so far. It still doesn't compare to the original series by Moore, but the style is quite different in this series, giving us a nostalgic feel which Cooke tends to excel with.

In this issue, we had interesting characterization on Mothman, Hollis Mason (original Nite Owl), and Silhouette. We also had, within the context of just a few pages, better characterization on The Comedian's background than Azzarello has done in 3 entire (And, IMO, miserable) issues. Cooke gave us a believable breaking point in Blake's past.

What irked me was the twist at the end concerning Hooded Justice. We don't know for sure if he's fully responsible for what Nite Owl I is investigating, but, regardless, his connection to Silhouette's past just felt like unnecessary shock value and almost ruined an otherwise solid issue......In Moore's original storyline, it's hinted that Hooded Justice is a sadist, but the dynamic Cooke brought in was a bit much, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if the twist is a red herring, but that wouldn't change my opinion on the Hooded Justice angle.
    Last edited by Christopher Cross Is God; 10-19-2012 at 03:11 PM.

This is definitely the best of the Before Watchmen titles. I too am a bit confused by what Hooded Justice's history is. You are right that it could be much less worse than hinted at.

I always wanted to know how Silhouette died...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...