Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Really? I've seen Moore's quote praising Azzarello's take on Constantine.
    I loved that run. He really took it back to how Moore first introduced the character: the enigmatic, wandering mystic.
    Fantastic art too.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I loved that run. He really took it back to how Moore first introduced the character: the enigmatic, wandering mystic.
    Fantastic art too.
    I enjoyed the first prison arc only and im not saying people should avoid Azz run. I would warn more against Casey run. I just meant Hellblazer now isnt the best way to introduce to new fans. Backread Delano,Garth Ennis way before Milligan.

Milligan i would recommend The Human Target before his HB.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

I didn't really find anything wrong with Mike CaRey's run... Dragged a bit in the middle perhaps.

I still think it's a crying shame Warren Ellis's run got cut short over a fight with editorial.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    I enjoyed the first prison arc only and im not saying people should avoid Azz run. I would warn more against Casey run. I just meant Hellblazer now isnt the best way to introduce to new fans. Backread Delano,Garth Ennis way before Milligan.

Milligan i would recommend The Human Target before his HB.
    Human Target was the first thing I read by Milligan, and that's only because I was familiar with TV show. Liked it a lot though.

Ultimately, I think Warren Ellis quitting was better for him and for the business. Every so often it's good for someone to leave a corporate title for reasons other than "I got bored" or medical necessity (which they will be attacked for, incessantly, online, of course, by fans), for good, solid ethical reasons. Just as a reminder that people do have ethics and they can live by them.

When the story did see print, the general innocuousness of it, the fact it wasn't absolutely horrorshow, went a ways to illustrating just how careful DC were being, too. But it gave it some frisson the first time I read it, too.

BANNED

Just looking at the list of trades, it seems like Hellblazer has never had a bad writer, which is why I wouldn't know which ones to skip. Garth Ennis's run is well-liked right?

Just looking at the list of trades, it seems like Hellblazer has never had a bad writer, which is why I wouldn't know which ones to skip. Garth Ennis's run is well-liked right?
    A lot of people think Ennis' run is the best, but in the end there has been no bad run on Hellblazer (IMHO of course, even the weakest runs have been good comics).

Most HB fans would rank Ennis' run as the best. Personally, I like Delano's run more, even with its inconsistancies, because I felt his highs were higher than Garth's. That said, Ennis' run is such a tightly plotted masterpiece that it's essential HB reading, and it's influence on everything that came afterwards can't really be overstated.

Denise Mina's year long run is the least essential run on Hellbllazer. It's not bad, per se-- I'm of the opinion that there's never been a bad issue of HB, just less good ones, and I also refuse to classify anything drawn by Leo Manco as "bad" (and I own a lot of his early '90s Marvel fill-in and What If?s)-- but it is a pretty inconsequential storyline. It's only "bad" compared to the rest of HB, not comics in general.

If I were to rank the runs, I'd go Delano, Ennis, Diggle, Jenkins, Ellis, Azzerello, Milligan, Carey, Mina.

BANNED

Cool, thanks. I'll just start with the Ellis run for now.

I'm enjoying Milligan's run but not at all in the way I expected. It's not trippy or idiosyncratic like his other works. Stormwatch is the same way right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    A lot of people think Ennis' run is the best, but in the end there has been no bad run on Hellblazer (IMHO of course, even the weakest runs have been good comics).
    Except for Warren Ellis's first arc, the Ennis run is IMO the best the book has ever been.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    That is what i wouldnt recommend to newbies. The between is the best HB runs. Delano early issues was not his best and not the most acclaimed.

Although i envy you havent read Azzarello run, some of Casey run that are too horrible to forget in my mind.....
    Carey's run was fantastic!
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

I think Delano was best, but I prefer Delano's standalones and minis more than his actual run. Ennis was hella good, though - so good I had to go back and reread it recently to prove to myself it wasn't just that I discoverd it during a fantastic time in my life and transposed the excitement. It's damned good.

Carey has his ups and downs for me. I like the Mina story more than Carey or Azzarello's work.

But it's true, there are no really bad Hellblazer comics.

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    I think Delano was best, but I prefer Delano's standalones and minis more than his actual run. Ennis was hella good, though - so good I had to go back and reread it recently to prove to myself it wasn't just that I discoverd it during a fantastic time in my life and transposed the excitement. It's damned good.

Carey has his ups and downs for me. I like the Mina story more than Carey or Azzarello's work.

But it's true, there are no really bad Hellblazer comics.
    Delano had him as essentially a con man with exquisite knowledge of arcane, no particular power except force of will. He was overmatched by mid tier demons. He spent most of his time drugging around with the fringe culture of London and battling evil corporate execs. Ennis's book was *fun*, but it irrevocably re-invented the character to be a guy fighting the likes of Dracula and Satan. It's impossible to reconcile the characters.

Delano seemed to be using Hellblazer to promote his anti-materialism, pro-Pagan? views. Ennis wanted a character that would give Satan the middle finger.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meehl View Post
    Delano had him as essentially a con man with exquisite knowledge of arcane, no particular power except force of will. He was overmatched by mid tier demons. He spent most of his time drugging around with the fringe culture of London and battling evil corporate execs. Ennis's book was *fun*, but it irrevocably re-invented the character to be a guy fighting the likes of Dracula and Satan. It's impossible to reconcile the characters.
    Ennis put John up against bigger antagonists, but he did not change the character. He was still essentially a con man with exquisite knowledge of arcane, no particular power except force of will.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Ennis put John up against bigger antagonists, but he did not change the character. He was still essentially a con man with exquisite knowledge of arcane, no particular power except force of will.
    Eh, he gained stature and ability. He was holding his own and winning against bigger, god-level antagonists. The scope and importance of his character became that of his antagonists.

Is Norma Jean just Marilyn? Is Cassius Clay just Ali? No, not really.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.