Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    The JL dark movie is a rumor of a rumor of a rumor. If it ever materializes it will likely be yeaaaaaars from now. I doubt anyone is basing any decisions around that.
    Well Guillermo has said he is interested in the "heaven sent" movie (whatever that is) but says he is not interested in a "justice league movie" which is kind of confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scurlogg_Hawkk View Post
    Mate i will read the both versions of our dear Johnny boy .The chew toy of destiny .Here we see a perfect case of Dc trying too do something not so smart leave Vertigo alone and play with any superhero you want .
    Well what I mean is, over the years on forums I have heard people say something along the lines of "I have no interest in reading about Constantine" - I even remember somebody saying he was a less likeable character than Rorschach!!!! I remember thinking "So you prefer the violent sociopath to a character who struggles with his conscience to do the right thing but doesn't always manage to? You know, like a flawed hero, probably something people can empathise with a bit better than a violent traumatised vigilante!"

I just get the impression some people (probably primarily superhero readers) just have a knee-jerk reaction to him and Vertigo in general.

You are obviously not one of them though!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPhonomancer View Post
    Well what I mean is, over the years on forums I have heard people say something along the lines of "I have no interest in reading about Constantine" - I even remember somebody saying he was a less likeable character than Rorschach!!!! I remember thinking "So you prefer the violent sociopath to a character who struggles with his conscience to do the right thing but doesn't always manage to? You know, like a flawed hero, probably something people can empathise with a bit better than a violent traumatised vigilante!"

I just get the impression some people (probably primarily superhero readers) just have a knee-jerk reaction to him and Vertigo in general.

You are obviously not one of them though!
    I think since Milligan at least he has become more sympathetic where as before he would even admit that he isn't a good person at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    I think since Milligan at least he has become more sympathetic where as before he would even admit that he isn't a good person at all.
    Well my first encounter with him was through Garth Ennis' run and he may not have been the nicest guy in the world but he was underneath it all, a decent bloke with some sort of moral compass. Someone who you would probably have a lot of fun with on a night out but yeah, not someone you would want to get too close to.

I have been reading Delano's stuff in trades and yeah, he does some horrible things to his "mates" but its mainly in the interest of self-preservation and you just see it as a bloke who has very little options most of the time.

I know a lot of people say Delano's stuff is the best but it hasn't really taken off for me yet. First volume was good but the next 2 were a bit of a slog to be honest. Looking forward to the Family Man being reprinted in a couple of weeks as I've heard thats fantastic. But so far it can be a bit purple-prosey and heavy-handed and it feels more dated than the Ennis stuff.

That's another thing I can never understand - you have one of the most celebrated runs on the character by the team of Ennis and Dillon, one of the most celebrated pairings in modern comics, and it's not kept in print, and doesn't even seem to be that widely known about in general. Why? It's bloody fantastic!

BANNED

Well the whole point of Constantine is that the only reason we like him is because we're seeing him from the Fourth Wall and can understand him on an interpersonal level. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to tolerate him. A lot of writers have talked about how the character has become so personal to them to the point where "he writes himself." So the character is still "a bastard" as he's always called, but we at least know where he's coming from.

Rorshach is an odd comparison, because he was meant to be unlikable, but the audience reacted much differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    Well Guillermo has said he is interested in the "heaven sent" movie (whatever that is) but says he is not interested in a "justice league movie" which is kind of confusing.
    Him being "interested" is about twelve steps from it even entering production, and del Toro has like three or four things in various states of pre-production already.
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post

Rorshach is an odd comparison, because he was meant to be unlikable, but the audience reacted much differently.
    Rorshach is only likable because of the extreme situation he gets put into. On a day to day basis he is a terrible person and barely a functioning human. When you put him up against Viedt he becomes a sort of tragic character as he accepts his death calmly in the face of the apocalypse.

John on the other hand is perfectly likable on the day to day basis, hanging with his friends/having a pint etc. It's when the chips are down he becomes really scary.
    Army of Crime

Well the whole point of Constantine is that the only reason we like him is because we're seeing him from the Fourth Wall and can understand him on an interpersonal level. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to tolerate him. A lot of writers have talked about how the character has become so personal to them to the point where "he writes himself." So the character is still "a bastard" as he's always called, but we at least know where he's coming from.

I think people like Rorshach cause there is a tragic comic aspect to him you certainly wouldn't even wanna be his friend necessarily but he is entertaining.

Well the whole point of Constantine is that the only reason we like him is because we're seeing him from the Fourth Wall and can understand him on an interpersonal level.
    That's actually the opposite of the point of the original Constantine. It may have been what he's become, at least in your opinion, but it certainly isn't 'the point' of Constantine, IMHO.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

BANNED

John on the other hand is perfectly likable on the day to day basis, hanging with his friends/having a pint etc. It's when the chips are down he becomes really scary.
    In Milligan's Hellblazer, he comes off douchey on a day to day basis, but his truer character shines through when shit gets real.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPhonomancer View Post
    Looking forward to the Family Man being reprinted in a couple of weeks as I've heard thats fantastic.
    Already came out last week.
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 11-20-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    BB

The JL dark movie is a rumor of a rumor of a rumor. If it ever materializes it will likely be yeaaaaaars from now. I doubt anyone is basing any decisions around that.
    Yeah, I agree. Del Toro 'talking' about it doesn't really amount to shit.

In Milligan's Hellblazer, he comes off douchey on a day to day basis, but his truer character shines through when shit gets real.
    !!!!!spoilers for Hellblazer, guy who said he was going to read the family man don't read this!!!!

I notice John has become decidely more brutal over the years. In Highwater he reaaaaaly fucks up those Nazis, not to mention the prison riot in Hard Times. What he did to the guy who killed his ex-girlfriend in Haunted was pretty nasty too. Compare with how tore up he is to kill the Family Man, a straight up serial killer.
    Army of Crime

That's what age does
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    That's what age does
    And seeing an uncountable number of horrible things happen.
    Army of Crime