Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Ian Rankin had been talking about a Hellblazer Graphic Novels for years. He only got to make one.

Oh well....
    I saw Ian Rankin talking about his Hellblazer GN at the Edinburgh Book Fest a couple of years ago, when it was released.

He didn't enjoy the process at all - too much editorial interference compared with his novel-writing. I asked him at the signing if he was likely to do another and he pulled a bit of a face.

I have not read a lot of swamp thing between Vietch and Diggle. They need to put more of it in trade.
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    I have not read a lot of swamp thing between Vietch and Diggle. They need to put more of it in trade.
    Highly unlikely, with the exception of Millar's run. Most fans seem to either hate or be indifferent towards Doug Wheeler and Nancy Collins' stuff, unfortunately.

And while Brian K. Vaughn is currently A-list, he wasn't during his time on Swamp Thing, and that run seems to be forgotten for the most part.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Vaughn hates his Swamp Thing and when I was talking to him, he told me that he finally learned how to become a comic writer towards the end of his Swamp run. Haha.

I wish the Vietch (needs to be reprinted), Diggle, Dysart, Millar, Collins and Wheeler runs would get put.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Swamp Thing was fun under Alan Moore, the stories all went somewhere. Other than that, it's been dreadful everytime I read it.

Disclaimer Paquette is great on art on it right now. ♥♥♥
    Last edited by MartinRedmond; 11-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Come to think of it, I'm so glad Mark Millar never wrote Hellblazer.
    He did a good job writing John Constantine in his Swamp Thing run.

Edit - oops - Desaad beat me to it
    Last edited by dancj; 11-13-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Highly unlikely, with the exception of Millar's run. Most fans seem to either hate or be indifferent towards Doug Wheeler and Nancy Collins' stuff, unfortunately.
    No unfortunately about it. Wheeler and Collins' work on the character was near unreadable.

Even Veitch, for all the praise he gets, was just horribly mediocre I thought. I could literally watch him making all the mistakes that Alan Moore had so carefully avoided, turning the Parliament of Trees into a vindictive old enclave (a la the Guardians of the Universe), turning Abby into a complete willow of a character, turning allegory into preaching...

It wasn't horrible mind you, better than what came after until Millar re-ignited the book (oddly enough his co-authored story with Morrison the worst of his run), but still that book did NOT have a lot of success, relative to the number of issues it ran.

And while Brian K. Vaughn is currently A-list, he wasn't during his time on Swamp Thing, and that run seems to be forgotten for the most part.
    Probably because it was only just okay. Unoffensive and certainly not bad, but not particularly impressive either. Certainly not a stitch on his later, more famous work.

Diggle's run was fun, and brought it back to the mainstream, with a lot in common in fact with the Millar run and the current Snyder run. Not in terms of plot, but in terms of tone and direction.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    He did a good job writing John Constantine in his Swamp Thing run.

Edit - oops - Desaad beat me to it
    The whole origin of the lodge and all that was infinitely better than the Nick Necro stuff we've seen in the New 52.

Of course, there is a way to make all that fit, and I hope DC goes the extra length to do just that.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

BANNED

Actually never mind.

I'll probably just read Veitch's run as a lead-in to Delano's Hellblazer and then see if it's worth continuing.
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 11-13-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Actually never mind.

I'll probably just read Veitch's run as a lead-in to Delano's Hellblazer and then see if it's worth continuing.
    They have little in common, Delano is not Veitch and vice versa.

Delano's work is much heavier on prose, absolutely lush and gorgeous in its use of language, at times a little heavy handed in his desire to 'say something', especially on Animal Man (less so on Hellblazer, especially once he found his groove).

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    No unfortunately about it. Wheeler and Collins' work on the character was near unreadable.

Even Veitch, for all the praise he gets, was just horribly mediocre I thought. I could literally watch him making all the mistakes that Alan Moore had so carefully avoided, turning the Parliament of Trees into a vindictive old enclave (a la the Guardians of the Universe), turning Abby into a complete willow of a character, turning allegory into preaching...

It wasn't horrible mind you, better than what came after until Millar re-ignited the book (oddly enough his co-authored story with Morrison the worst of his run), but still that book did NOT have a lot of success, relative to the number of issues it ran.
    I'll give you Wheeler (he was just bad) but I'm partial to sappy soap-operatics, which Collins brought in spades. Not to mention Scot Eaton's early art was pretty damn good.

Probably because it was only just okay. Unoffensive and certainly not bad, but not particularly impressive either. Certainly not a stitch on his later, more famous work.

Diggle's run was fun, and brought it back to the mainstream, with a lot in common in fact with the Millar run and the current Snyder run. Not in terms of plot, but in terms of tone and direction.
    I've honestly only read the first 2-3 issues of Vaughn's run , hence the forgettable factor. Diggle and Dysart were both decent, but nothing amazing. At that point Vertigo was just treading water with the character, imho.

BANNED

They have little in common, Delano is not Veitch and vice versa.

Delano's work is much heavier on prose, absolutely lush and gorgeous in its use of language, at times a little heavy handed in his desire to 'say something', especially on Animal Man (less so on Hellblazer, especially once he found his groove).
    Ah okay. I just have the first Hellblazer trade, which includes an arc from Veitch's Swamp Thing.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Har!

Pricks could at least let him drop dead coughing his heart up between drags on a ciggie, not reduce him to some anemic rebrand.
    -Jamie Delano

BANNED

LOL.

10char

Would want the other Hellblazer creators (besides Delano, Diggle and Ellis) to say something on the matter.
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 11-15-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    BB