Page 5 of 129 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    It would also be a pretty bad move to make one the strongest characters of the comic, a black man, an inmate after you've had a Tolken, might as well be mute, black character for two seasons named T-DOG. Which, btw, is a nickname not a name and I'm still confused as to why he calls himself that (unless the writers think it's an actual name black people call their kids, like in their birth certificate).
    i donīt even get the existence of this t-dog character to begin with. did the comics missed the appeal to the urban market? they had to add diversity from season one on?
    otherwise i donīt see the point, when u have strong characters coming up ahead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-isAmaVbsM

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    Based on historical fact.

Previous video is a horrible example. He was not cutting properly, he was in fact "hacking" not cutting properly.

What do you think katanas were designed to do? They weren't made for stabbing. They were not make for striking/parrying other blades. They were made for cutting people in half.

Bone is not that thick and probably not as rigid as you'd imagine.

FF to about 8:00. That's a metal pipe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj1Jytiw8e0
    ...historical fact? Who's history? Samurai Shampoo?

Katanas were made for stabbing, not hacking. Using them for hacking would wear down the blade pretty damn quick.

Wasn't there a segment on "Deadliest Warrior" that showed a guy slicing through several inches of pig bone and flesh with one swing?

Professional Hedonist cybrestrike's Avatar

Discussions about the physics of swordplay and whatnot aside, this was an excellent season opener.

Loved that the opening scene had no dialogue. It established that they've been on the road for a while, they know what they have to do, and it's working like a well-oiled machine. Silencers! About bloody time. Looks like they've somewhat got their stuff together. Thought the tactics they used to get into the yard was cool. I had no problem with the riot guards fight--I mean, you're in a fight with the undead and suddenly you've got dudes in armor, on top of worrying about the other walkers at the gate...I saw that as a bit of HSQ panic. When Rick ripped that mask off and the skin went with it, I was eating dinner. Suffice to say I finished dinner after the show. They'd better win an Emmy for special effects and costume design or something...because dayum that was nasty.

I'm also loving that Lori is a lot more sympathetic this time around--because last season she had the whole Lady MacBeth thing going on, and that didn't work for me.

Michonne! Awesome. She looks comic-booky, and this is a show based on a comic book, so I had no problem with that. Casting did a great job getting Danai Gurira in this role. It's exactly how I pictured her.

And the prison! I read through the books again, and I noticed that the interior of Cell Block C looked a lot like it did in the show. Even down to how the bars on the windows looked. Holy crap that was cool.

All in all, great episode. It totally met my expectations and went far beyond it in a lot of aspects.
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magma Magik Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Husk Chamber Skin

I don't know why your all tripping over the katana bit. I mean this is a show about zombies after all. And its somewhat plausible. If the Blade is sharpened enough and strong enough it would just take a very powerful swing to cleave someone's head off. On the battlefield this is unlikely to happen, cause of how fact paced the fighting is and how unrealistic it would be for someone to take a baseball like swing with a Katana and hit an unblocking opponent cleanly.In this show we are talking about zombis who are mindlessly walking towards the humans.

But the most important fact is this is a tv show, and if your already accepting the zombies I don't really see the complaints about the katana attacks. Action based tv shows traditionally ignore physiscs as it is, no matter how realistic they may try to be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    ...historical fact? Who's history? Samurai Shampoo?

Katanas were made for stabbing, not hacking. Using them for hacking would wear down the blade pretty damn quick.
    Japanese feudal history.

Katanas were not made for stabbing, nor hacking. They are in fact made for slicing.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Wasn't there a segment on "Deadliest Warrior" that showed a guy slicing through several inches of pig bone and flesh with one swing?
    Actually, it cut through two pigs and was stopped a the third. (However, it woudl still not slice through the Viking chainmail.)

go to about 8:00:
    http://clips.team-andro.com/watch/e5...ng-vs.-samurai

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    I don't think there was any real implication of a Beth/Carl relationship happening.

who cares what swords can actually cut through, it's stupid tv.
    definitely not with the Beth/Carl thing. It was clearly just to hammer home the point of Carl maturing..........

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    It would also be a pretty bad move to make one the strongest characters of the comic, a black man, an inmate after you've had a Tolken, might as well be mute, black character for two seasons named T-DOG. Which, btw, is a nickname not a name and I'm still confused as to why he calls himself that (unless the writers think it's an actual name black people call their kids, like in their birth certificate).
    T-Dog's name is Terrone-something, he's not Tyresse. I'm actually a fan of T-Dog just cuz I like that he doesn't say a thing and just kills zombies & keeps his head down, it's kind of badass and smart. Hell, I think even the actor put it that way. The running joke is that he *doesn't* say anything but he still sticks around. He's the anti-red shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by President Kang View Post
    T-Dog's name is Terrone-something, he's not Tyresse. I'm actually a fan of T-Dog just cuz I like that he doesn't say a thing and just kills zombies & keeps his head down, it's kind of badass and smart. Hell, I think even the actor put it that way. The running joke is that he *doesn't* say anything but he still sticks around. He's the anti-red shirt!
    T-Dog's name birth name was Theodore Douglas.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

BANNED

I like T-Dog, I just think it sounds fucking ridiculous when anyone says his name.

Fantastic opener.

Such a huge improvement over season 2 (although, I didn't dislike "life on the farm" as much as others).

I'm already loving the duo of Michonne and Andrea, they're the "Xena and Gabrielle" of the zombie apocalypse!

I like T-Dog, I just think it sounds fucking ridiculous when anyone says his name.
    His actor's name is IronE Singleton (obviously his stage name and not birth name). I'll take T-Dog any day over IronE.

Yeah it's dumb, but it's actually a good nickname evolution of his birth name Theodore-Teddy-Ted-T + Douglas- Doug- Dog = T-Dog. The name "T" would seem slightly less stereotypical in my eyes. They need to introduce Tyreese or have T-Dog step up majorly if he is a Tyrese replacement and wants to have the same impact Tyrese has on the audience of the comic book.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones View Post
    i donīt even get the existence of this t-dog character to begin with. did the comics missed the appeal to the urban market? they had to add diversity from season one on?
    otherwise i donīt see the point, when u have strong characters coming up ahead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-isAmaVbsM
    How come when someone adds a non-white character to a cast, there is always someone that demands for a justification, a "why" is he there?

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    How come when someone adds a non-white character to a cast, there is always someone that demands for a justification, a "why" is he there?
    Because they are going to kill the token black guy who's there.