Page 63 of 129 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Bloody episode last night. I didn't like Daryl getting capture. I wonder if Merle will brainwash him into thinking that Rick is an opportunist and used him to get his friends. And points out that Rick intentionally left on the roof top. Then Daryl will think..."That SOB of Rick tricked me"

Oh, and my FB friend made this vid. I thought it was pretty badass.

Also, of the people who died, they could have picked the main character, the new popular character they spent time with, a lot of time with, Daryl, another popular characters who's been around since the start, or the new guy who had little to no character development.
    His jumpsuit was a red shirt.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Danny View Post
    My money is on the Brothers Dixon in any situation, but Daryl is significantly braver than Merle. Merle is a punk.
    I don't think it's an issue of bravery, so much as that Merle still basically only cares about his own ass, while Darryl has learned that there's value in putting the needs of the whole ahead of his own.

To echo that great line from Ren & Stimpy Merle's only good for two things: no good, and good-for-nothing!

Actually, what Merle's really good at is getting others killed and beating up anyone whose arms are bounds. He particularly excels at the former.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by SatanBigsby View Post
    I really think that the qualms about minority characters are misplaced here. This is a story about a small group of survivors, aside from the stupidity of T-Dog's name I think they're doing an excellent job with diversity, way better than most shows, and there should be more entering the show soon. Seriously, half the characters in the first season were minorities, T-Dog died because the character was fairly useless, not because he was black. Oscar's death was unfortunate, not because he was a black character but because he was an underdeveloped one and I was looking forward to seeing another new character show up.
    Well, if the reason why both Black characters were killed was because they were underdeveloped/useless. . . how about developing/using them? I mean, it's not like it's their fault they didn't have enough to do on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Well, if the reason why both Black characters were killed was because they were underdeveloped/useless. . . how about developing/using them? I mean, it's not like it's their fault they didn't have enough to do on the show.
    I was hoping Oscar would be allowed to hang around some more. When he got shot, it was like...aw, sh!t.

That's why we have Tyrese i'd imagine, Oscar wasn't around long enough to get a shot.
    I didn't know his name was Oscar until i watched talking dead.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    That's why we have Tyrese i'd imagine, Oscar wasn't around long enough to get a shot.
    And, again, whose fault is that? Why should we expect Tyrese to get any more development from the same writers/producers who failed to give any to T-Dog and Oscar?

I didn't know his name was Oscar until i watched talking dead.
    The episode where Rick goes running after Philip and T-Dog and Daryl have their weapons trained on Axel and Oscar:

Daryl: "On your knees!"

Axel: "Tell him we have no connection to what just happened! Tell him, Oscar!"

Oscar: "Man...just shut up."

I liked Oscar. He showed bravery, courage, and fortitude in just the short time he was there. Refused to beg for his life, took in the group and decided they were both something he wanted to be a part of and was willing to work to be a part, and immediately volunteered to go on a suicide mission to help save 2 people he barely knew. I think he deserved more character development. I liked him better than T-Dog in the brief amount of time he was on the show. His death was lame. He could of easily escaped (could of had the bullet graze him but not be fatal) and no one would of complained because Rick and Co had the element of surprise for a quick escape. It also wouldn't of seemed too easy to get away since the guy who many would agree is the most bad-a** member of the group ends up captured.

Well, now oscar is dead, everyone can write a petition and maybe they will bring him back to life.

Well, now oscar is dead, everyone can write a petition and maybe they will bring him back to life.
    My point was simply, any character can be a red shirt if not fully developed. Daryl could easily have been a red shirt when the show started because there was no future planned out for him. The show has already widely diverged from the comic. They can and should do whatever they want as long as it makes the show better.

And, again, whose fault is that? Why should we expect Tyrese to get any more development from the same writers/producers who failed to give any to T-Dog and Oscar?
    Because Tyrese has extensive history and informs some of the best moments and character development in the comics. I would have liked to see Oscar stick around longer, T-Dog not so much. The fact that they died though doesn't scream of some weird one black man rule so much as characters living in an insanely deadly world. T-Dog is a problem you can chalk up to Darabont, also. The show is very much different now than it was before his ousting. The name itself was ridiculous, and probably caused a lot of this backlash the show is paying for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
    My point was simply, any character can be a red shirt if not fully developed. Daryl could easily have been a red shirt when the show started because there was no future planned out for him. The show has already widely diverged from the comic. They can and should do whatever they want as long as it makes the show better.
    Don't disagree.
    But he was a red shirt, THE red shirt in that episode.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by SatanBigsby View Post
    Because Tyrese has extensive history and informs some of the best moments and character development in the comics. I would have liked to see Oscar stick around longer, T-Dog not so much. The fact that they died though doesn't scream of some weird one black man rule so much as characters living in an insanely deadly world. T-Dog is a problem you can chalk up to Darabont, also. The show is very much different now than it was before his ousting. The name itself was ridiculous, and probably caused a lot of this backlash the show is paying for now.
    None of which really gets the writers/producers off the hook or disputes what I said. There's no rule that says only characters from the comic can be well-developed. There was nothing preventing them from fleshing out either Oscar or T-Dog. They chose not to and decided it was easier to dispose of them and start over. Now, I personally don't have a problem with either of them getting killed off, but the ham-fisted way they keep handling it opens them up to legit criticism.