Page 53 of 129 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    So you thought the rape should have happened? And wait, violation of Maggie or Glenn? The governor already violated her when he forced her to take her shirt off. Say it ain't so you think he violated Glenn because the Governor caressed "his girl."

Your views sort of worry me.
    I thought he was saying the Governor violated and humiliated Maggie. The caressing of her hair was humiliating HER, but also making Glenn feel helpless.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    It just seemed to me that she saw through his BS way too quickly. I could see her having suspicions and being unwary, but it seemed like she hated his guts from the moment she laid eyes on him. I guess some people have a hyper sense of intuition. Also I guess calling yourself "The Governor" would raise some eyebrows from anyone you'd encounter.
    I don't have a problem with her sussing him out quickly. The warning signs are all there to see if one is willing to look pst the slick facade. She hit it right on the head when she described him to Rick as a "Jim Jones type." He oozes a charismatic cult leader vibe.

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think they made the right move making the TV Gov. more of a cerebral evil instead of the full on comic version. The line Michone had about him being a Jim Jones type bastard was right on the money here.

The Governor in the TV series is much creepier than the comic book Governor. He's like that guy next door who you think is a decent guy but ends up being a serial killer.

So many cool things about this episode:

-Glenn/Merle/Walker
    -Reuniting Carol with the group
    -The Hermit (man that was sad!)
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

ButterRum, not Butter Rum ButterRum's Avatar

I thought he was saying the Governor violated and humiliated Maggie. The caressing of her hair was humiliating HER, but also making Glenn feel helpless.
    I hope so!

It's just that it sounded like graffiX said the governor only humiliated her in the interrogation scene but finally violated Glenn's girlfriend -- which, according to him, made matters worse. It sounded like Maggie was Glenn's property or something, but I wasn't sure that's what he meant. It just came off that way. As most mentioned here, it was bad enough he made her strip -- which already was a violation of her body.
    Never Forgive. Never Forget. Justice for Butter Rum. ♥
    Emma Frost Week: Winner of Best Emma Frost Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    I'm glad no actual rape happened. I mean, rape kinda sucks, so like, yeah!
    But mostly, it's one thing on a comic page when dolled out by a mustache twisting cartoon villain like the governor in the comics. It's a whole other thing when it's acted out by real people in live action. Just the set up was pretty stomach turning. That was plenty. It was at least enough for me. If it wasn't enough for you, you might have some deep psychological issues.

I have been enjoying this Governor version so far but he was outright creepy,terrible in this ep. That scene and what he did to Maggie make was hard to watch, i felt her fear and didnt need to see more. When he comforted her after he brought to Glenn was great evil bad guy that is far better than the cartoon villain in the comics. Woodbury arc,prison arc weakest part was the funny looking,over the top cartoon villain. I liked Woodbury conflict much better without him. This one i am convinced after this ep that is one of few things that is much better in tv show than in the comics.

I hate the guy and cant wait to see his death. Poor Maggie.

So im with you guys and i dont watch to see live action rape that dont add anything more. Good writing is better than cheap chock effects.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think they made the right move making the TV Gov. more of a cerebral evil instead of the full on comic version. The line Michone had about him being a Jim Jones type bastard was right on the money here.
    What I like about this Governor is that he feels realistic, as if you could know someone like him in real life and not really be aware of it. One of those hidden psychopaths that only need the right circumstance to let go of their mask of sanity and show their true colors.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

I'm convinced that (comic spoilers for those that haven't read it)
    spoilers:
    The almost-rape scene with Maggie was just a tease at what going to happen to Michonne. Had the Governor gone and raped Maggie, I think it would have came a bit out of left-field for a lot of viewers unfamiliar with the comics. Teasing what he's capable of makes it more believable when it inevitably happens to Michonne.
    My gut tells me that Michonne is going to get captured at the end of the next episode and raped once the season starts up again. That way it leads to Michonne's escape and the Governor's mutilation and eventual retaliation against Rick and the prison.
    Maybe Rick will lose his hand in the mid-season finale too.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by fortyseven; 11-26-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

spoilers:
    Kirkman said he felt that taking Rick's hand was a mistake, and in a live action show it would be a lot more problematic than in a comic, so I don't see it happening
    end of spoilers
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    spoilers:
    Kirkman said he felt that taking Rick's hand was a mistake, and in a live action show it would be a lot more problematic than in a comic, so I don't see it happening
    end of spoilers
    That's true.
    I still think the other part of what I said might hold true though.

Venomous Female Tish-the-Scorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    I'm glad no actual rape happened. I mean, rape kinda sucks, so like, yeah!
    But mostly, it's one thing on a comic page when dolled out by a mustache twisting cartoon villain like the governor in the comics. It's a whole other thing when it's acted out by real people in live action. Just the set up was pretty stomach turning. That was plenty. It was at least enough for me. If it wasn't enough for you, you might have some deep psychological issues.
    the reason why i thought they wouldn't shy away from it is because shows like SVU has no problem showing it. and it's on a very mainstream channel.
    Okay, before this thread this is what I knew about Tish, zip, zero, nada.
    I now know that Tish is a heavily armed, black, bi-sexual, truck driving woman who likes going to the clubs.
    I don't think I learned this much about Tom in six months let alone one post. - Boldido

I'm begining to like Tish more and more, that's what I know. - cable guy

"We were forced to build America, and if forced to, we will tear it down." Huey P. Newton

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tish-the-Scorpion View Post
    the reason why i thought they wouldn't shy away from it is because shows like SVU has no problem showing it. and it's on a very mainstream channel.
    I doubt it was a case of them "shying away from it" like they were scared to show it. They likely just felt they could effectively tell the story and make the point about the Governor's nature without it. And they did.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Was the creepy research ghoul a character in the comic? If so, did it say what he did before the zombie invasion? Because I get a definite "former serial killer" vibe off of him.
    I was getting a creepy vibe off him before this episode, but the old guy dying really seemed to upset him.

Also, did anyone else notice Rick digging his thumb into Michonne's gunshot wound to try to get info? He's pretty off the rails at this point as well. I'm surprised Michonne is so willing to trust him and not the Governor (well, before he sent Merle into the woods to kill her). I'm assuming Andrea told her stories about Rick and company while they were on the road with each other, also the way Rick reacted when he found Carol alive probably bought him some "Michonne Points".
    Yeah, I'd say she trusts Rick for the same reason she doesn't trust the Governor: she's smart, has good instincts and keeps her mouth closed and eyes and ears open. So far she's seen Rick save her, joyfully hug Carol, cry about Lori, try peacefully to keep the hermit calm, and thank Darryl, and seen Carols grief at hearing about Lori, every body fuss over the baby, every one volunteering to go after Glenn and Maggie, and Darryls 'It's what we do" comment. She can see these peoples raw humanity the same way she saw the Governors disguised brutality.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    I was getting a creepy vibe off him before this episode, but the old guy dying really seemed to upset him.
    I'm pretty certain that it wasn't the old man's death that actually upset him. The old guy was just a lab rat to him. He was upset over not getting any payoff to his "research" and the fact that he almost got his face eaten off because he acted like a know-it-all and ignored Andrea's warnings.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    I hope so!

It's just that it sounded like graffiX said the governor only humiliated her in the interrogation scene but finally violated Glenn's girlfriend -- which, according to him, made matters worse. It sounded like Maggie was Glenn's property or something, but I wasn't sure that's what he meant. It just came off that way. As most mentioned here, it was bad enough he made her strip -- which already was a violation of her body.
    No, that's not what I was saying at all. No one is anyone's property. How could you take it like that....? Sorry if I worded it that way.

The humiliation/violation point. Let me put it to you this way: would you rather be humiliated or violated? And by violated, I mean in the PHYSICAL sense. There is nothing worse than being physically violated against your will (well, except for being killed), IMO. Not to say being humiliated is GOOD, hell no! It's bad too. But any physical violation (i.e. rape, being beaten) is a greater crime than being told to strip (albeit bad as well....and could also be called violation- but not in the physical sense). However, she was violated when he slammed her head against the table and again when her and Glenn were reunited and he was trying to caress her and tell her that was ok. I don't see how you thought I was saying she was Glenn's property from that, but whatever.

Did the Governer intend to rape Maggie? We'll never know for sure. I was just saying that, FOR ME, he needed to rape her (or cut off Glenn's hand or something else totally shocking and "I can't believe that BASTARD did THAT!!"). Do I mean that we, as viewers, needed to see the rape? NO, of course not. Simply implying that she was being physically assaulted would have been enough. Did I want to see it? NO! But I *needed* to see it to hate the Governor character. Although there is plenty of show left, so I'm sure he still could do something to make me HATE him (at this moment I strongly DISLIKE him....but hate? I can't say that I do at this moment but he's well on his way).

Look, this is the Walking Dead. So far (off the top of my head) we've seen: brains blown out almost every episode, zombies being eviserated left and right, CHILDREN being both zombies and then getting blown away, a very graphic child birth that involved a C-section in which the mother was then shot and killed by her SON, etc. You get my point. This show is held to a higher standard when it comes to shock moments.

Would the aforementioned scene with Glenn/Maggie/Governor make me hate the Governor on another show such as say....Lost? Yes, absolutely. But not this show. Not the Walking Dead. The moments that tease or dance around the subject....the coulda, woulda, shoulda don't work. This show has calloused my emotional response towards it.

*This is simply my opinion. Feel free to disagree, as I'm sure most will.
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.