Page 51 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast
    Venomous Female Tish-the-Scorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SatanBigsby View Post
    Just because something didn't happen last night doesn't mean that they've seen the worst of their time at Woodbury.
    that's basically been my thoughts. it's hard to say what the tv show is capable of. i think it's 50/50 they'll go with the rape, or the beheading of a loved character. also the fate of Judith is also up in the air.
    Okay, before this thread this is what I knew about Tish, zip, zero, nada.
    I now know that Tish is a heavily armed, black, bi-sexual, truck driving woman who likes going to the clubs.
    I don't think I learned this much about Tom in six months let alone one post. - Boldido

I'm begining to like Tish more and more, that's what I know. - cable guy

"We were forced to build America, and if forced to, we will tear it down." Huey P. Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Tish-the-Scorpion View Post
    which is weird cause it still might happen..
    Nope.
    spoilers:
    I had been saying they wouldn't do it in the tv show, more refering to the way it happened actually, but still.
    Here's my thinking. What he did, was creepy as all hell in a tv show. In a comic like walking dead, it wouldn't be as creepy, simply due to the medium.
    They got the point across, she hates the governor, glenn hates him, the extreme hate is what they needed to build and they got it. You can't make them angrier by adding rape, it doesn't matter anymore.
    end of spoilers
    Isn't needed anymore if you don't want the spoilers.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by idlewildered View Post
    A "weak substitute" for a character you haven't read................ I'll leave it at that.

Clearly we're seeing, at the core, a character directly opposed to Rick. A bad man, who is capable of good things as opposed to the other way around.

If the Governor was a transparent through and through villain the set up of Woodbury just wouldn't work.

As an avid fan of the comics I'm enjoying the differences here. I also have to admit concern over the statement: "important that he rape Maggie" and "missed opportunity".
    True, a character I haven't read (yet). But like I mentioned, I have friends that read the books and all I kept hearing for the last year was "Oh, the governor is this horrible, HORRIBLE human being". The man is evil, but maybe I was expecting something a little more....well, evil. I want to HATE the governor as a character. I want to cheer when (if) he dies a violent death and smile when vengence has been served. But at this point, I'll just shrug and say "glad he's dead". Next villain, please.

And you misunderstood my comment about raping Maggie. My apologies for not explaining it better. Oh, wait I DID explain it. See that part there that says (I'll quote myself): "I thought it was important that he rape Maggie. Not that I "wanted to see it", but the governor needs to do something that makes me hate him". This time I bolded the "me" part so I was emphasizing what *I* need to happen for me to hate the gov. You already hate him it sounds like....good for you. I, however, just need something more. There I go again with those damn high expectations. Damn.

And the "lost opportunity" wasn't in reference to specifically raping Maggie. Again, I apologize for not explaining that one. And I really didn't. He could have chopped off Glenn's hand. THAT would have sufficed. That action could have made me hate him. See where I'm going with this....?

Emotional investment in characters works both ways. There are characters I love....and then there are those that I hate. I want to hate the governor, I really do. But honestly at this point he's been overhyped. I blame my friends.
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

Governor in the comics is a cartoon villian.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Governor in the comics is a cartoon villian.
    ...who kind of reminded me of a short-order cook.
    I have this idea for the next X-teme Games Gold Medal Event--Bear Tickling. Its like Bull riding but more X-treme! You are timed on how long you can tickle a bear before he attacks you.

-Excelsior

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    True, a character I haven't read (yet). But like I mentioned, I have friends that read the books and all I kept hearing for the last year was "Oh, the governor is this horrible, HORRIBLE human being". The man is evil, but maybe I was expecting something a little more....well, evil. I want to HATE the governor as a character. I want to cheer when (if) he dies a violent death and smile when vengence has been served. But at this point, I'll just shrug and say "glad he's dead". Next villain, please.

And you misunderstood my comment about raping Maggie. My apologies for not explaining it better. Oh, wait I DID explain it. See that part there that says (I'll quote myself): "I thought it was important that he rape Maggie. Not that I "wanted to see it", but the governor needs to do something that makes me hate him". This time I bolded the "me" part so I was emphasizing what *I* need to happen for me to hate the gov. You already hate him it sounds like....good for you. I, however, just need something more. There I go again with those damn high expectations. Damn.

And the "lost opportunity" wasn't in reference to specifically raping Maggie. Again, I apologize for not explaining that one. And I really didn't. He could have chopped off Glenn's hand. THAT would have sufficed. That action could have made me hate him. See where I'm going with this....?

Emotional investment in characters works both ways. There are characters I love....and then there are those that I hate. I want to hate the governor, I really do. But honestly at this point he's been overhyped. I blame my friends.
    I guess everyone has different thresholds. What was shown wasn't enough to make you hate him. Fine. What was shown was enough to make me hate him, though. That puts him above and beyond his comic book counterpart, IMO, which I have read (well, just once, but still). Funny you're commenting on hearsay instead of what you actually read.
    I have this idea for the next X-teme Games Gold Medal Event--Bear Tickling. Its like Bull riding but more X-treme! You are timed on how long you can tickle a bear before he attacks you.

-Excelsior

That "leaked" video of Daryl with his guts out that's floating around? Is from the 2009 film Pandorum.

how desensitized do we have to be that the only way we can hate a villain if they rape or maim people?

so far, we have:

a guy who guns down unsuspecting soldiers rather than have his authority potentially usurped

a guy who keeps a pile of floaty heads as a replacement for TV

a guy who is boffing one member of a group whilst torturing their comrades

a guy who sent a death squad after a woman because she didn't want to stay in his town

that's pretty much enough for me to hate him, and I could give more examples.

Professional Hedonist cybrestrike's Avatar

how desensitized do we have to be that the only way we can hate a villain if they rape or maim people?

so far, we have:

a guy who guns down unsuspecting soldiers rather than have his authority potentially usurped

a guy who keeps a pile of floaty heads as a replacement for TV

a guy who is boffing one member of a group whilst torturing their comrades

a guy who sent a death squad after a woman because she didn't want to stay in his town

that's pretty much enough for me to hate him, and I could give more examples.
    Agreed.

I pretty much hate him. Especially after that creepy sequence when he reunited Maggie with Glenn. That was straight up malevolent.
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magma Magik Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Husk Chamber Skin

Quote Originally Posted by cybrestrike View Post
    Agreed.

I pretty much hate him. Especially after that creepy sequence when he reunited Maggie with Glenn. That was straight up malevolent.
    you'll really hate him though when he starts chopping bits off people though, right? He's just a bit of a loveable old rogue at the minute...............

You don't think the whole simulation with Maggie was enough to show how much of a sick, evil bastard he is? Wow. The rape itself didn't happen but the fear and humiliation she felt were real.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I guess everyone has different thresholds. What was shown wasn't enough to make you hate him. Fine. What was shown was enough to make me hate him, though. That puts him above and beyond his comic book counterpart, IMO, which I have read (well, just once, but still). Funny you're commenting on hearsay instead of what you actually read.
    Exactly. And that works for you. And that's all that matter, right? I was just giving my opinion (and how I came to that conclusion).

For this show, unfortuntely....yes. It has made of bed of shock deaths and "I can't believe they did THAT!!!" moments. That's why it's my favorite show on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    You don't think the whole simulation with Maggie was enough to show how much of a sick, evil bastard he is? Wow. The rape itself didn't happen but the fear and humiliation she felt were real.
    Fair point. But the worst part of it was after her and Glenn were reunited and he was kissing her head and running his fingers through her hair. Humilation is one thing, violation is another. Both are bad, but in my opinion, the latter is worse than the former. And what he did on that part was violation.
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to have to side with those that say the rape isn't necessary anymore because the hate has already been established. What he did to her was already reprehensible. In all honesty, from my perspective, forcing a woman to strip and then making it very clear that you'd rape her, and actually raping her, are separated by a *very thin* line. Your mileage may vary on that, but to me he's already crossed an area where I want him to get his dick cut off and fed to Walkers.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to have to side with those that say the rape isn't necessary anymore because the hate has already been established. What he did to her was already reprehensible. In all honesty, from my perspective, forcing a woman to strip and then making it very clear that you'd rape her, and actually raping her, are separated by a *very thin* line. Your mileage may vary on that, but to me he's already crossed an area where I want him to get his dick cut off and fed to Walkers.
    they needed to make clear he would have done it and that was all.
    They had to establish he was a bad guy and do something somewhat tramatizing to glenn and maggie.
    Mission accomplished, they can move on now.

Exactly. And that works for you. And that's all that matter, right?
    Oh sweet irony, since that's how you're starting to come off now.

I was just giving my opinion (and how I came to that conclusion).
    And I was giving mine. That's kinda how this works. You don't just say your opinion and then everyone swoons/agrees, we give ours as well, even if it conflicts with yours.

-Excelsior