Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Now that Armageddon is officially underway (or really has been since the Storm and the Fury), I am looking forward to the BPRD pulling out the big guns for their last stand.

Anyone notice the plans for the Helicarrier from Liz's vision on the walls of Iosif's office?

I'm also wondering if the issue of nukes is going to be more directly addressed. The Russians have started using tactical ones on the weaker Ogdru Hem. Obviously they aren't going to win the day, but I'd like to at least see them used in an attempt to stem the tide. After all, a city filled with transformed monsters who can create other monsters is more dangerous than just a nuked city.

Default Issue 3 cover

I love the lil' bubble head! What a great cover... Another issue I am excited for!

Default Teasing Glimpse from C2E2

I can't wait to see this, I was stunned by the black and white art but that colored image is just as great. It really oozes mood.

A great nickname is revealed in that preview for one of our favorite characters... brilliant.

*SPOILER*
    NOWHERE MAN for Johan

A very, very solid first issue. I liked the fact that the focus is tight on Johann and the team and not jumping back and forth between them and headquarters.

The writing for Nichols feels different from The Long Death and Transformation of J H O'Donnell but that's fine; I suspect alot of this arc will be focusing on him and his reactions to what's going on which I look forward to.

Loved the art, though I think I would of liked it more if it were still black and white. But that's just preference! Looked stunning, and the transformed humans looked suitably creepy.

I got to read this one back in March. I'm so glad I can finally talk about it. I was dodging a particular question, about when this story was set, as I didn't want people to judge it before they read it.

The first issue begins during the final issue of The Return of the Master. A Cold Day in Hell is set after this story. They had to juggle things around to get Abe out of that tank sooner rather than later. In fact, if you reread Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible (Part 2) you'll even seen a reference to this story.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wasteland Ref.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	113900

It's too bad that they had to do that. It makes things pretty confusing for anyone paying attention, though maybe a lot of people aren't paying attention. I don't think it would have been that much of a spoiler to tell us when these were set, though, since we pretty much already figured the order out ourselves...

spoilers:
    And it definitely wouldn't have been as much of a spoiler as this weird release schedule itself is. The second issue of Abe Sapien spoiled the first issue of Wasteland, since we already knew what was going to happen to the girl with the pretty distinctive raincoat. And the first issue of Cold Day in Hell spoiled the last issue of Wasteland because we know Johann's going to come out of it just fine. Which we probably could have guessed, but still...
    end of spoilers

I know I'm being pedantic, but I hope this sort of thing doesn't happen again. These things are happening so close to each other in time, and the art is sometimes self-referential in a way that spoils what comes out after (but is set before). I guess this wouldn't bother me so much if I weren't used to a pretty high standard of quality from this series. Not that this is indicative of lower quality in the individual comics.

Are the books for these issues going to be released in the right order? Since they've already been marked #105, 106, 107...

I'm pretty sure they'll have the order flipped for the trade like they did with The Devil's Engine & The Long Death. Now that Abe's out there, I don't see why they'd need to do it again any time soon. The shift to monthly muddled the schedule around a little bit. I know originally The Abyss of Time was going to come out November-December. I'm guessing the plan was Wasteland would've been January-March, then A Cold Day in Hell would've been April-May, so that the first issue would coincide with the first issue of Dark and Terrible. When The Abyss of Time got pushed back, either Wasteland had to get pushed back as well or both A Cold Day in Hell and Dark and Terrible would have. This is the way it had to be to get Abe back in April instead of July.

That makes sense. Now that everything is monthly and everyone is where they need to be, maybe they won't run into any more time crunches like that. (And presumably if they chose to go bimonthly that would just mean the stories would come out faster, not that multiple stories would be coming out at once.)

As for the issue itself, I really enjoyed it! Great setup for some terrible things I can only imagine are to come. It's nice to get some more insight into Nichols as a person, though I'm trying not to get too attached just in case he doesn't make it for very long. Also nice to see how some of the grunts are taking all of this (popping pills to deal with the stress, etc.) and some little insights into the logistics of travel in this world (have to use helicopters). Just good storytelling in this one.

I was on the fence about Campbell's art when I first saw a preview of it a long time ago, but seeing it now, I love it! It feels just right for the story and for the way the world is at the moment. Both Campbell and Sebastian Fiumara have great styles that transition well between a certain level of realism and completely unreal monsters.

Also, I'm glad the tradition is still alive to tell Johann to shut up. He needs to hear it sometimes.

I was excited by just how realistic and scary those early preview panels were and I've been highly antipicpating this story ever since then and it really met and exceeded all my expectations. Between this and the last issue of Abe Sapian I think this has been the the best the line up has been since the King of Fear ended.

Laurence Campbell shared some thumbnail layouts on Twitter:

Solid first issue, its great to see so much of the civilian reaction in this issue and in the first two Abe comics we've had recently, makes the world situation seem even more overwhelming. Kruass has got to be one of the most nuanced, interesting characters in comic book history, he was so awkward and detatched from the rest of the unit in the face of the helicopter crash, it really feels like he's becoming more and more de-sensitized to people dying around him. Re-reading the Russia this weekend has emphasised that even further for me.

Haven't re-read Long Death for a couple of months, wasn't Gervesh (the soldier who broker her arm in this issue of wasteland) also in Johan's team in that story too? You'd think that her and Nichols wouldn't be dead keen on going under his command again after that mess! In response to something someone said a few posts back, I thought Nichols was really consistent with his appearances in Long Death and The O'Donnel one shot.