Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    See I don't even think the triangle is the main drawing point. The triangle didn't even really begin until mid-late season 3. They made the show about more then the triangle before..hopefully they can go that route again.
    Yeah but if thats part of the reason why the show is lasting long then they got to go with whats a big draw.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Since Damon is obviously a main character on the show, him being gone for any substantial length of time isn't really an option.
    I agree. Damon is by far the best character on the show and it's not e en close. He's the only reason I watch the show. If Damon goes, then the show just lost one of it's loyal viewers in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Franklin View Post
    I agree. Damon is by far the best character on the show and it's not e en close. He's the only reason I watch the show. If Damon goes, then the show just lost one of it's loyal viewers in me.
    If Damon goes I could care less honestly. Sure I don't hate the guy but it takes more than a character leaving before I say I'm done
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    If Damon goes I could care less honestly. Sure I don't hate the guy but it takes more than a character leaving before I say I'm done
    Damon is the only character on the show with any character because Ian Somerhalder is the only actor on the show that doesn't scream amateur hour.

Damon is the only character on the show with any character because Ian Somerhalder is the only actor on the show that doesn't scream amateur hour.
    While I agree Damon is one of the better characters on the show I also don't think what you're saying is quite fair. Ian Somerhalder happened to be given a pretty great character to play in addition to being a good actor. For example take Stefan, I don't find the guy who plays him to be a bad actor or an amateur, but Stefan could be considered dull or boring compared to Damon.

Let us face it, Damon is your standard "Evil is sexy and cool!" guy. He gets some of the best lines and..well, you know how James Bond has a license to kill? Damon has a license to be an evil dick. Damon would probably have to sacrifice a group of infants in front of all the main cast members in order to get them to truly disown him. Which even then they'd probably of forgiven him 3-4 episodes later and it would never be mentioned again.

Again just to compare him to Stefan: Damon is, as I said..the evil is cool guy. Evil Stefan isn't cool, but creepy(writing victims names on a wall, ripping bodies to pieces then putting them back together).
    Last edited by Surtur; 12-11-2012 at 07:19 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Elder Member

See I don't even think the triangle is the main drawing point. The triangle didn't even really begin until mid-late season 3. They made the show about more then the triangle before..hopefully they can go that route again.
    The triangle started earlier than that. Indications that Damon had feelings for Elena started as early as early in Season 2 (after he realizes that Katherine has been free the entire time and basically blew him off for centuries). It just wasn't until later that we saw concrete indication of Elena having feelings for Damon. And even without the romance angle, the relationship dynamic between those three characters (going back to Season 1, when Elena first started trying to reach Damon's "good" side, despite Stefan's skepticism) has been a central part of the show for the vast majority of its existence. I don't see much chance of then just abandoning it, I don't think the show would really work as well without it.

Oh I'm 100% sure Damon had feelings for her as early as season 1. I just don't consider it a triangle until they all had romantic feelings for each other(otherwise one might consider there being a Matt, Elena, Stefan triangle in season 1). Until then it's just a chick with a boyfriend who has another guy liking her romantically who she thinks of only as a friend. I don't think Elena started to get those feelings for Damon until season 3, or at the very least the very end of season 2 when he was dying of a werewolf bite.

I don't mind the "she likes one as a friend and is in love with the other" dynamic, I actually prefer that. To be honest I don't mind the "she is in love with them both but has to choose" dynamic as long as they don't draw it out too long. I think if they try to push the triangle to last further then the end of the season they are going to be in trouble. There are only so many twists and turns you can use to keep it going before the story goes stale.
    Last edited by Surtur; 12-11-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Elder Member

Oh sure I think Damon had feelings for her as early as season 1. I just don't consider it a triangle until they all had feelings for each other(otherwise one might consider there being a Matt, Elena, Stefan triangle in season 1). Until then it's just a chick with a boyfriend who has another guy liking her romantically who she thinks of only as a friend. I don't think Elena started to get those for Damon until season 3, or at the very least the very end of season 2.
    It doesn't have to be equally reciprocal on all sides for it to qualify as a romantic triangle. As long as there are emotional connections tying all three characters together, it's a triangle: Elena loved Stefan, Stefan loved Elena, Elena believed in/wanted to redeem Damon, Stefan objected to Elena's feelings (whatever they were) for Damon, Damon wanted (later loved) Elena, Damon and Stefan loved and hated each other. The connections are all there and pretty much always have been. (Also, even though Elena didn't initially have romantic feelings for Damon, part of Stefan's trepidation was clearly centered around the fear that if she got close to them she might start developing them. That incipient jealousy further underscores the romantic triangle aspect.)

The Matt thing isn't really relevant because Matt was a background character whose involvement/impact on Elena's life (physically and emotionally) wasn't nearly as significant as Stefan's and Damon's. The relationship between the 3 principles was front and center of the show and the actions of Stefan and Damon played a major role in determining the course of Elena's life and those of her friends and family. Changing/eliminating the dynamic between the latter would, quite clearly and unquestionably, have a bigger impact on the show's dynamic than the former. That's why the Damon/Stefan/Elena triangle isn't going anywhere. It's basically the foundation of the show.

All true, but we're in the 4th season now. I'm hoping they will try to resolve it before something like the series finale. Unless the 4th season is the last(but I doubt it). It's cringe-worthy to think of it not being resolved by something like the 6th or 7th season,

While I agree Damon is one of the better characters on the show I also don't think what you're saying is quite fair. Ian Somerhalder happened to be given a pretty great character to play in addition to being a good actor. For example take Stefan, I don't find the guy who plays him to be a bad actor or an amateur, but Stefan could be considered dull or boring compared to Damon.
    Actor Paul Wesley(Stefan) couldn't play the part of Damon because he can't character act good enough to pull it off. While Ian(Damon) could play the character Stefan.

And while Nina Dobrev is hot, she is such a bad character actress that she can't change her voice or mannerisms enough to play both Elena and Catherine for example. Same with the rest of the female actors on the show. They are eye candy, but hardly very good at their craft.

Actor Paul Wesley(Stefan) couldn't play the part of Damon because he can't character act good enough to pull it off. While Ian(Damon) could play the character Stefan.
    Eh, see I think this is tricky because at this point in the series it's hard to imagine anyone but Ian playing Damon well. It's also hard for me to imagine him playing Stefan. Not that he couldn't do it. I do think he's the better actor of the two, I just think he was also blessed with a really great part.

And while Nina Dobrev is hot, she is such a bad character actress that she can't change her voice or mannerisms enough to play both Elena and Catherine for example. Same with the rest of the female actors on the show. They are eye candy, but hardly very good at their craft.
    I don't know I think she's done a decent job of separating Elena and Katherine. There was just a way Katherine moved, etc. when compared to Elena(human version anyways). I don't think they are oscar worthy actors or actresses, but I confess I never found myself cringing at any performance in the series. Nor do I think there was ever a part where the acting was so bad it completely took me out of the episode.

Then again I might just be easily pleased when it comes to acting skill.
    Last edited by Surtur; 12-11-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Eh, see I think this is tricky because at this point in the series it's hard to imagine anyone but Ian playing Damon well. It's also hard for me to imagine him playing Stefan. Not that he couldn't do it. I do think he's the better actor of the two, I just think he was also blessed with a really great part.

I don't know I think she's done a decent job of separating Elena and Katherine. There was just a way Katherine moved, etc. when compared to Elena(human version anyways). I don't think they are oscar worthy actors or actresses, but I confess I never found myself cringing at any performance in the series. Nor do I think there was ever a part where the acting was so bad it completely took me out of the episode.

Then again I might just be easily pleased when it comes to acting skill.
    It's a CW TV show targeting a teenage/early adult market, so the obvious way to cast one of these shows is the eye candy first rule. Nobody would watch the Vampire Diaries if the lead actors and actresses were fat slobs, even if they were fat slob Oscar winning character actors like Philip Seymour Hoffman for example.

So I also have no problem with the bad/average acting on the Vampire Diaries. As long as the cast is good looking, I'm going to enjoy it.

Elder Member

All true, but we're in the 4th season now. I'm hoping they will try to resolve it before something like the series finale. Unless the 4th season is the last(but I doubt it). It's cringe-worthy to think of it not being resolved by something like the 6th or 7th season,
    Short of removing one of the 3 principles from the show, there's really no way they can fully resolve it. The feelings aren't just going to go away. Even if Elena up and marries one of them, the feelings between her and the other one will still exist on some level, and the jealosy over those feelings will still exist for the one she marries.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Short of removing one of the 3 principles from the show, there's really no way they can fully resolve it. The feelings aren't just going to go away. Even if Elena up and marries one of them, the feelings between her and the other one will still exist on some level, and the jealosy over those feelings will still exist for the one she marries.
    One POTENTIAL resollution is actually Katherine.

In THEORY that gives the option for both Damon and Stephan to walk away with someone on their arm. You can argue the one that ends up with Katherine essentially is the runner up... but it's one way to resolve the trangle if the writers actually wanted it resolved. They might not.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    One POTENTIAL resollution is actually Katherine.

In THEORY that gives the option for both Damon and Stephan to walk away with someone on their arm. You can argue the one that ends up with Katherine essentially is the runner up... but it's one way to resolve the trangle if the writers actually wanted it resolved. They might not.
    Except they've already established that both Damon and Stefan now hate Katherine, to the point that they've tried to kill her multiple times. In any case, having one of them hook up with someone else doesn't automatically resolve the Stefan/Damon/Elena triangle because (just as is often the case in real life) hooking up with someone else doesn't mean that they let go of the feelings they have for someone else. And it's those feelings (not who they're actually sleeping with at any given moment) that defines the romantic triangle. The only way to resolve the triangle is for one of them to fully let go of his/her feelings for one of the others. And that seems unlikely/out of character based on everything we've seen up to now.