Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44
  1. #31
    True heavyweight wrassler Jeremy A. Patterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Yoakum, Texas
    Posts
    2,938

  2. #32
    Exiled to Earth F The Valeyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy A. Patterson View Post

    "Page Not Found."
    "The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker side of the Doctor’s nature. Somewhere between his 12th and final incarnation."

  3. #33
    Senior Member UnravThreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    And the interview isn't particularly clear on details, either. I can't work out if they're stopping the weekly releases or not.

    Also; Chuck Dixon has been involved? Seriously, that guy should not be working on Archie titles. His attitude is contrary to their own.

  4. #34
    Senior Member jsf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    Picked up the latest issue and enjoyed it. Loved seeing the kids finally embrace their heritage, and am really intrigued to see what the Brain Emperor has planned. The back up with the Comet was really well done as well.

    Loving this book.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Danville, West Virginia
    Posts
    2,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    And the interview isn't particularly clear on details, either. I can't work out if they're stopping the weekly releases or not.

    Also; Chuck Dixon has been involved? Seriously, that guy should not be working on Archie titles. His attitude is contrary to their own.
    Chuck is one of the most respected and popular writers in the business. Not sure why you wouldn't want a writer of his talent on an Archie book...
    I bought the first two issues and it's good, but, to last in this day and age, you've got to give readers something great with a startup project like this one. Sadly, this will be another blown attempt to capitalize on these great characters and this series will not last. Sales were terrible on the first two issues. I can't see the series lasting too many more.

  6. #36
    Senior Member UnravThreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonEMC View Post
    Chuck is one of the most respected and popular writers in the business. Not sure why you wouldn't want a writer of his talent on an Archie book...
    Same reason I wouldn't want Orson Scott Card on an Archie book. Their political/social attitudes run counter to the messages Archie is trying to spread. Chuck Dixon was pro-DADT and isn't that supportive of LGBT people serving, from what I understand. Archie have a gay character who wants to serve. I don't think Archie will let Dixon's beliefs come across on any title, but it still is a worrying prospect.

  7. #37
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    And the interview isn't particularly clear on details, either. I can't work out if they're stopping the weekly releases or not.

    Also; Chuck Dixon has been involved? Seriously, that guy should not be working on Archie titles. His attitude is contrary to their own.
    Who cares what his politics are? He's not running for Congress, he's writing superhero comic books, but you want to put a star on his jacket and forbid him from finding work? Liberal "tolerance" is this generation's greatest oxymoron.

    If Archie wants superhero readers, it'd probably help to get someone that actually writes great superhero comics. Frankly, if Archie were to start a serious sci-fi line, Orson Scott Card would be a major get for them, since he's actually very good at writing sci-fi. They're in the business of telling stories. They should hire the best people for that job, regardless of race, religion or political beliefs. (<-- And yet even after that statement, I'm still going to be called a hatemonger because I defended someone with an unpopular opinion. More "tolerance" LOL)

  8. #38
    Senior Member UnravThreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    Who cares what his politics are? He's not running for Congress, he's writing superhero comic books, but you want to put a star on his jacket and forbid him from finding work? Liberal "tolerance" is this generation's greatest oxymoron.
    The only thing I'm intolerant of is intolerance. I can respect someone's beliefs, but I don't have to agree with them. If a creator whose politics I disagree with is put on a title I like, or someone suggests it, it's my responsibility to counter that with logic. I haven't said Dixon shouldn't be on an Archie title randomly, I have stated his beliefs - publicly verifiable beliefs - run counter to those of Archie. That means there is a conflict of interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    If Archie wants superhero readers, it'd probably help to get someone that actually writes great superhero comics. Frankly, if Archie were to start a serious sci-fi line, Orson Scott Card would be a major get for them, since he's actually very good at writing sci-fi. They're in the business of telling stories. They should hire the best people for that job, regardless of race, religion or political beliefs. (<-- And yet even after that statement, I'm still going to be called a hatemonger because I defended someone with an unpopular opinion. More "tolerance" LOL)
    OSC has had comics with Marvel. He's worked on Iron Man (not for long) and had numerous Ender series titles done. I don't think any were particularly successful. And considering Marvel have just done a rather successful issue of Astonishing X-Men which had a same-sex wedding, it would be a step backwards for them to do another OSC title. And with OSC it's not about just his political beliefs, it's about what he does with the profits from his writing (comics, novels, etc.) - he contributes, both financially and with his time, to groups which seek to limit and/or remove the civil liberties of protected minorities. That's anti-social behaviour. Destructive behaviour, even.

    If you can turn a blind eye to a creator's politics, fine. I don't blame you, it's also pretty easy to do. But it doesn't mean you should be ignorant about what that creator does or pass it off as "nothing", especially if they financially contribute (with the gains from their work) to causes that are regressive. When a creator goes public with their opinions (as Dixon and Card do), I have every right to pass judgement on those beliefs. It's not about tolerance, it's about making people aware that creator beliefs and creator works are not always two independent things.

    Marvel, Archie, Red Circle, etc. are not in the business of telling stories. They are in the business of making money. The stories are how they do that, yes, but it sure as heck ain't their priority.

  9. #39
    Elder Member Blade X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    Who cares what his politics are? He's not running for Congress, he's writing superhero comic books, but you want to put a star on his jacket and forbid him from finding work? Liberal "tolerance" is this generation's greatest oxymoron.

    If Archie wants superhero readers, it'd probably help to get someone that actually writes great superhero comics. Frankly, if Archie were to start a serious sci-fi line, Orson Scott Card would be a major get for them, since he's actually very good at writing sci-fi. They're in the business of telling stories. They should hire the best people for that job, regardless of race, religion or political beliefs. (<-- And yet even after that statement, I'm still going to be called a hatemonger because I defended someone with an unpopular opinion. More "tolerance" LOL)
    Quoted for the ever lovin truth.

  10. #40
    Elder Member Blade X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    OSC has had comics with Marvel. He's worked on Iron Man (not for long) and had numerous Ender series titles done. I don't think any were particularly successful. And considering Marvel have just done a rather successful issue of Astonishing X-Men which had a same-sex wedding, it would be a step backwards for them to do another OSC title. And with OSC it's not about just his political beliefs, it's about what he does with the profits from his writing (comics, novels, etc.) - he contributes, both financially and with his time, to groups which seek to limit and/or remove the civil liberties of protected minorities. That's anti-social behaviour. Destructive behaviour, even.
    2 quick points.

    1. Since OSC is a big name celebrity writer, Marvel will most likely not hesitate to publish aother OSC title or hire him to write a book for them, regardless of his views on homosexuality. OSC views on homosexuality were known before and during the time that he was working for Marvel and licensing THE ENDER series to them (which I think they still have the license to publish), and that didn't stop them from giving him work and/or not publishing the ENDER series.

    2. The wedding of Northstar in AXM was nothing more than a short term sales gimmick designed to get mainstream news media attention in the hopes that it would get speculators to boost sales on AXM.

  11. #41
    Senior Member UnravThreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    1. Since OSC is a big name celebrity writer, Marvel will most likely not hesitate to publish aother OSC title or hire him to write a book for them, regardless of his views on homosexuality. OSC views on homosexuality were known before and during the time that he was working for Marvel and licensing THE ENDER series to them (which I think they still have the license to publish), and that didn't stop them from giving him work and/or not publishing the ENDER series.
    No, it didn't. But considering the feedback from the LGBT community about point 2...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    2. The wedding of Northstar in AXM was nothing more than a short term sales gimmick designed to get mainstream news media attention in the hopes that it would get speculators to boost sales on AXM.
    Ugh. Really? Yes. No-one is stupid enough to believe it's anything else, but that's what Marvel DO. That's what they have to do in order to keep a title selling. Why did they kill off Peter in Ultimate Spider-Man? Sales. Why do they have stupidly large events across 20 titles? Sales. Everything they do is with sales in mind.

    However, the response from the LGBT community was huge. That is a big market that both Marvel and DC do little to tap, I think DC just slightly edging ahead with Demon Knights and Batwoman (and with Demon Knights it was arguably due more to Paul Cornell than the title itself), and they can make massive gains by creating comics that appeal to and encompass the LGBT community. If they are, at the same time, publishing titles by OSC, that limits Marvel's ability to tap into a larger market because there are those who would criticise/abandon/boycott Marvel due to publishing his titles, therefore contributing (semi-directly) to his political campaigning, which itself makes Marvel party to the act.

  12. #42
    Elder Member Blade X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    However, the response from the LGBT community was huge. That is a big market that both Marvel and DC do little to tap, I think DC just slightly edging ahead with Demon Knights and Batwoman (and with Demon Knights it was arguably due more to Paul Cornell than the title itself), and they can make massive gains by creating comics that appeal to and encompass the LGBT community. If they are, at the same time, publishing titles by OSC, that limits Marvel's ability to tap into a larger market because there are those who would criticise/abandon/boycott Marvel due to publishing his titles, therefore contributing (semi-directly) to his political campaigning, which itself makes Marvel party to the act.
    If the response from the LGBT was as huge as you claim it was, then sales of AXM would still be selling around the same level as the wedding issue. As for those people who would drop Marvel comics because they publish comics written by him,wll there are a large number of readers who might or would drop Marvel comics if they feel that Marvel is pushing a GLBT agenda in their comics.

  13. #43
    Senior Member UnravThreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    If the response from the LGBT was as huge as you claim it was, then sales of AXM would still be selling around the same level as the wedding issue. As for those people who would drop Marvel comics because they publish comics written by him,wll there are a large number of readers who might or would drop Marvel comics if they feel that Marvel is pushing a GLBT agenda in their comics.
    No? Because buying the wedding issue to show support for it is not the same as buying the series after.

    And yeah, there are a number of readers who will drop Marvel for their portrayal of LGBT issues, but it seems to me that their LGBT-inclusive series (X-Statix, Runaways, etc.) have all been relatively successful, so much so that their collections are still in print (I think), and Runaways is also a cult series which had important creators like Brian K. Vaughn, Terry Moore and Joss Whedon on it. Seems to me that Marvel has had more success with LGBT themes than they have had with works by a certain author.

  14. #44
    Elder Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    18,952

    Default

    Finally broke down and bought the tpb of New Crusaders: Rise of the Heroes, and two chapters / issues into it, I'm intrigued so far. The art sometimes seems a bit too manga-like with faces and expressions for my tastes, but overall it's not bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    Today's fans want good stories some of them even want action they don't want pointless crossovers with crap like "Glee"
    SOME fans want one thing, but there also seem to be quite a few people who enjoy the more simplistic types of stories that Archie Comics provide. Archie provides an alternative to people who don't want the traditional comic books currently put out by companies like DC and Marvel . . . they may not want to read about costumed characters with powers constantly fighting epic battles with the fate of humanity on the line.

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    . . . If Archie wants superhero readers, it'd probably help to get someone that actually writes great superhero comics.
    But they may also be aiming for people who don't normally buy superhero comics. Sometimes, companies can be very successful targeting smaller niche markets that aren't being served by other larger companies.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •