Default Need help moving forward with Preacher (Hardcover or older Trades)?

So I found the first three trades of Preacher on Ebay and was pleasantly surprised when they came in mint condition for 15 bucks! Moving forward, I noticed i could switch to Hardcovers starting with Book 3 without missing anything. I guess I am wondering for those who have either, can you let me know the paper quality in each. The first two trades had a higher quality paper whereas the third trade of Preacher has crappy newsprint (not sure why they would switch mid publication). Any help here is appreciated.

The trades were reprinted in softcover at a later date.

I bought the first lot as the came out and the paper was all the same quality in each trade. Is it possible you have two different editions?

Quote Originally Posted by idlewildered View Post

I bought the first lot as the came out and the paper was all the same quality in each trade. Is it possible you have two different editions?
    Possibly, I did buy it from Ebay so the guy who sold it to me may have had the older edition for trade #3...

Quote Originally Posted by AKrok View Post
    Possibly, I did buy it from Ebay so the guy who sold it to me may have had the older edition for trade #3...
    what's the cover for the third trade?

All trades are softcover. "trade" is short for "trade paperback".

what's the cover for the third trade?
    http://www.amazon.ca/Preacher-VOL-03...9876170&sr=8-4

Its this, which is why i am confused about the change in paper quality, as it looks to be part of the same edition as the first two...

I think some of the TPB covers were new pieces by Glenn Fabry rather than lifts from existing covers. Are these included separately in the hardcovers?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum_Valentino View Post
    I think some of the TPB covers were new pieces by Glenn Fabry rather than lifts from existing covers.
    I think all of them were.

The covers of the single issues are included in the hardcovers. The new covers for the trades obviously not.
    Last edited by carabas; 10-27-2012 at 04:33 AM.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

The trade covers were all new. And all the covers, single issues, miniseries, oneshots, and trades are available in a hardback collection that's very worth buying, both for the art and the text commentaries by Ennis and Fabry that range from enlightening to hilarious.

I would just go with the trades, since you've already started the format.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

I found an eBay listing with all the trades but the covers are different than what's out now, I assume they are the old editions. Does anyone here know if I'll miss anything by having vols 4-9 being the older edition printings?

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I think all of them were.

The covers of the single issues are included in the hardcovers. The new covers for the trades obviously not.
    Don't see what's obvious about it.

Just to confirm for anyone curious, the hardcovers do in fact contain the the new covers designed for the older trades from volume 3 (which contains the first 4, I think) onwards. Pinup galleries are also included. Only the old introductions (from the likes of the wretched Kevin Smith) are omitted, in favour of brand new ones in all six books.

If you like what you have read from the trades so far, just start getting the hardcovers and sell what trades you have now. It will look better on the bookshelf that way.
    http://blogojett.blogspot.com/

www.capelesscrusader.org

Reads: Batman & Robin, Batman, Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Prophet, TMNT, Planetoid, Punk Rock Jesus, Revival, Judge Dredd, Bedlam

The first two hardcovers are extremely hard to get over here in the UK, by which I mean sure, you could find a copy and pay full price in a shop but forget about getting one for a discount online, or even at ALL online. Are they more easily come by in the US?

Anyone think they're likely to release the HCs in trade later, like they did with Swamp Thing? The new ST books are more comprehensive but not hardly as nice as the older volumes in terms of design.