Page 5 of 241 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Japan's #1 Psycho Girl JDogindy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BYC View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/85...ll-star-ballot

Kind of a no-news, but still interesting.
    And Roy Hibbert says "bullsh*t" about it.
    All-time favorite comment:
    Power of music? Wanna know why the original Presence bailed out of the DCU? These two are the reason:
    -Koyomi Mizuhara
    -Mimi Tachikawa
    SInging Karaoke. :D

Default OKC trades James Harden to Houston

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/85...ouston-rockets

Wow. Just wow. I can't believe OKC actually did it. I don't think this is a good move at all.

Huge trade - Harden is going to be a beast this year!
    Never Surrender

For information on the Classic Marvel and DC Figurine Collections by Eaglemoss
    http://www.superherofigurineforum.com

Wow. Just wow. I can't believe OKC actually did it. I don't think this is a good move at all.
    This is a huge wait and see trade. In the interim, Houston got away with a great deal. Long term, who knows.
    You just have to be cool about it...

Elder Member

I'm a bit surprised by the timing of it, but I'm not surprised that it happened. Harden's a nice player but he is simply not even close to a max guy. He's a solid third banana, but I've always thought he'd be a lot less impressive/productive if he were put in a position of being higher up in the pecking order. He's not really a dominant player at his position, and on a team that's already so heavily invested in big contracts to perimeter players, doling out a max deal to a guy like Harden would be bad financial sense.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    And Roy Hibbert says "bullsh*t" about it.
    And Tim Duncan, after a decade and a half of successfully conning people into swallowing his bullshit story that he's not a center, is laughing his ass off.

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting that.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Jaw Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I'm a bit surprised by the timing of it, but I'm not surprised that it happened. Harden's a nice player but he is simply not even close to a max guy. He's a solid third banana, but I've always thought he'd be a lot less impressive/productive if he were put in a position of being higher up in the pecking order. He's not really a dominant player at his position, and on a team that's already so heavily invested in big contracts to perimeter players, doling out a max deal to a guy like Harden would be bad financial sense.
    Agreed with this.

Harden's a good player, but he's nowhere near close to being a guy you can build a team around. He'll put up good numbers, and I'd advise any fantasy bball players to pick up if they still can, but the Rockets aren't going to contend with him as their best player.

As for OKC, they get back a lot of scoring in the form of Martin and Lamb, and more importantly two draft picks. However, they've given up a lot of size. Unless Perry Jones (likely, IMO) and Thabeet (lol no) both come good, I don't see them being able to take out the Lakers in a series.

So the trade's pretty much sealed it for me. Barring any serious injuries, it'll be Heat-Lakers in the Finals.
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

Elder Member

The only real size they gave up was Cole Aldrich and he barely ever played. Cook and Hayward are both average-sized wing players (6' 5" and 6' 6" respectively). Cook was the only one of the three who was a regular rotation player and he only played about 15 mpg and wasn't esp. productive. Basically, aside from Harden, all the players OCK traded were throw-ins in the last guaranteed year of their deals. None of them will be missed.
    Last edited by kalorama; 10-28-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Jaw Squad Member

The only real size they gave up was Cole Aldrich and he barely ever played. Cook and Hayward are both average-sized wing players (6' 5" and 6' 6" respectively). Cook was the only one of the three who was a regular rotation player and he only played about 15 mpg and wasn't esp. productive. Basically, aside from Harden, all the players OCK traded were throw-ins in the last guaranteed year of their deals. None of them will be missed.
    I think they'll miss Aldrich a fair bit, especially as the Lakers now have size in abundance, and Collison's pretty much the only backup center they have now (Thabeet aside). Good point on the two wings though, I thought they were taller for some reason.

Anyways, think they need to strengthen at the center spot. This team will get a high seed in the playoffs easy, the real test is going to be the Lakers and Spurs size.

Elder Member

I don't see why they'd miss him. Hell, i bet they barely even knew he was there. Pretty much all of the meaningful C minutes the last two seasons were divided between Perkins, Collison, and Ibaka. Aldrich averaged about 7 mpg last season and didn't even play in more than half the games. He basically hasn't done anything that suggest he's an NBA-quality rotation player, let alone a necessary component in defeating the Lakers or Spurs. (They managed to beat them both last season--when the Lakers also had size in abundance (remember Bynum?)--without him contributing anything of value.) Basically, he's been a bust of a lottery pick. He's in the last guaranteed year of his deal and likely wasn't going to have his option picked up. He was highly expendable to OKC.

Between them, Thabeet and Daniel Orton should be more than capable of filling Cole's designated role as bench anchor/human victory cigar/human white flag.
    Last edited by kalorama; 10-28-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Jaw Squad Member

I don't see why they'd miss him. Hell, i bet they barely even knew he was there. Pretty much all of the meaningful C minutes the last two seasons were divided between Perkins, Collison, and Ibaka. Aldrich averaged about 7 mpg last season and didn't even play in more than half the games. He basically hasn't done anything that suggest he's an NBA-quality rotation player, let alone a necessary component in defeating the Lakers or Spurs. (They managed to beat them both last season--when the Lakers also had size in abundance (remember Bynum?)--without him contributing anything of value.) Basically, he's been a bust of a lottery pick. He's in the last guaranteed year of his deal and likely wasn't going to have his option picked up. He was highly expendable to OKC.
    I'm not saying he was indispensable, I was saying that in losing him, they give up size, and size is what they'll need in abundance against the new Lakers. Thabeet isn't someone you're willing to throw in against decent centers, while Aldrivh at least played decent defense.

Between them, Thabeet and Daniel Orton should be more than capable of filling Cole's designated role as bench anchor/human victory cigar/human white flag.
    Orton? Who?

I thought that with the trade they were left with Perkins, Collison, and Thabeet as Cs (with Ibaka a PF). If they signed another center I haven't heard about it.

OKC released Orton.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine~! View Post
    I'm not saying he was indispensable, I was saying that in losing him, they give up size, and size is what they'll need in abundance against the new Lakers. Thabeet isn't someone you're willing to throw in against decent centers, while Aldrivh at least played decent defense.
    When was he playing decent defense, given that he almost never played, period? In two seasons in the NBA he's played a total of 44 games, averaging 2 pts, and 2 rebs in 7 mpg. He was a complete nonentity. Meanwhile, during that period, the Thunder have playoff wins against the Grizzlies (Gasol, Randolph), The Lakers (Gasol, Bynum) and the Spurs (Duncan) proving pretty conclusively that they can hang with teams with size while getting absolutely no contribution whatsoever from Cole Aldrich. Thabeet may suck on ice, but he should be more than capable of playing 5 minutes of garbage time every other game, which is pretty much all Aldrich did. He also shouldn't have any problem fouling Dwight Howard under the basket, which is pretty much all Aldrich would be any good for against the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine~! View Post
    Orton? Who?

I thought that with the trade they were left with Perkins, Collison, and Thabeet as Cs (with Ibaka a PF). If they signed another center I haven't heard about it.
    I must have missed the press conference announcing they'd cut Orton. My bad.

Elder Member

And I never claimed you said he was "indispensable." But you are making a claim that he'd be a useful contributor. All I'm saying is that the historical record offers no evidence whatsoever to back that claim up.