Page 3 of 241 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    The Celtics just added Barbosa. Their backcourt is ridiculous.
    They've got some nice pieces, but I'm not convinced they'll all add up to really replacing Ray Allen. The real question mark for them is Jeff Green. I thought he got more credit than he deserved in OKC and he's been living off the promise of potential since he's been out following surgery. It remains to be seen if he ends up being worth all the talk he's generated. I have my doubts, personally. I think he's a nice enough player, but not necessarily a difference maker on a team with real aspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    They've got some nice pieces, but I'm not convinced they'll all add up to really replacing Ray Allen. The real question mark for them is Jeff Green. I thought he got more credit than he deserved in OKC and he's been living off the promise of potential since he's been out following surgery. It remains to be seen if he ends up being worth all the talk he's generated. I have my doubts, personally. I think he's a nice enough player, but not necessarily a difference maker on a team with real aspirations.
    If Green can slow down all of those SFs, SGs, and some PFs, then he should work out. Boston's offense looks bad right now though, they really need Rondo to step up. We'll see if he can carry the team because some of us (myself included) doesn't think he can.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by BYC View Post
    If Green can slow down all of those SFs, SGs, and some PFs, then he should work out.
    Well then, they're gonna have problems. Defense has never been his strong suit, and I don't see any chance at all that he's going to be spending any real time (or have any real success) guarding any SGs or even most SFs. He's a classic tweener forward who's skills are best utilized in a mismatch scenario on offense (i.e., he can post up when guarded by smaller 3s and face up when guarded by larger 4s) but who's at a disadvantage in either scenario on defense (not really quick enough to guard 3s off the dribble, not big/strong enough to guard good 4s in the paint). He's basically a poor man's Antawn Jamison, which isn't a knock, because Jamison's a helluva player in many respects, but his shortcomings are well-documented.

Jaw Squad Member

Jazz will have a very interesting year ahead. Mo Williams is an upgrade over Devin Harris, and Marvin Williams is a decent swingman who has the talent to be a star, if he ever puts it all together. I'm not saying he'll have a breakthrough year in Utah, but I can hope.

The frontcourt is jammed with talent. Millsap and Jefferson are one of the better frontcourts in the league, and Favors and Kanter are the future. A balance needs to be struck so that the young guys keep developing. Favors in particular looks like he'll be a tremendous player.

The conference is packed, but I remain hopeful we'll make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Final Contract year for Josh Smith ( who will become a free Agent = best year evah). Louis Williams. Al Horford. Jenkins. And perimeter players that can knock down the 3.
    Sooo... last year's team without it's best scorer.

A team whose ceiling was essentially the 2nd round.

Yeah.

The Hawks are in rebuilding mode, IMO, and have a very interesting future ahead of them, but they aren't going to contend this season.

Versus. Aging Celtics. Indiana with no true PG. Chicago ..Rose at 70% no backup PG. or PF.
    Given that you're predicting they get into the finals, you're kind of glossing over the Miami Heat there.
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I don't think they've replaced Ray Allen so much as improved upon him. Allen is a decent defender but nowhere near the caliber of Bradley or Lee (the latter is a damn good shooter as well). Terry is more versatile than Allen offensively. The basic point is that they have no questions when it comes to the guard position.

I haven't really heard much talk about Green. I've heard more buzz about Sullinger.

Quote Originally Posted by BYC View Post
    If Green can slow down all of those SFs, SGs, and some PFs, then he should work out. Boston's offense looks bad right now though, they really need Rondo to step up. We'll see if he can carry the team because some of us (myself included) doesn't think he can.
    He was the best point guard in last year's playoffs, so I expect good things from him.

Terry is no Allen when its about fourth quarter shots. He is close but he is not improvement offensively. Worst about Ray Allen is they made Miami go from Chalmers, Miller to Ray Allen stand open and shooting his millionth 3pt shot in playoffs.

Problem with Boston is Rondo is the only great player in his prime or close to his prime. No matter how much KG dominates as Center in the East, he can only play 20+ minutes. Lebron, Wade type players will own the paint when he is resting like last season.

I dont see the Green hype, a friend told me he is like in the level of James Harden. I was like he is the best sixth man in the league suddenly and can score 16 ppg?
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Terry is no Allen when its about fourth quarter shots. He is close but he is not improvement offensively.
    He is for the Celtics. The problem with the Celtics' offense has been that it's too plodding and calculated. Ray Allen adds to that problem, whereas Terry is more creative and unpredictable.

He is for the Celtics. The problem with the Celtics' offense has been that it's too plodding and calculated. Ray Allen adds to that problem, whereas Terry is more creative and unpredictable.
    I agree he is more unpredictable, creative. Im not sure he is as even in his shooting in the long range is what i thought.

He is not an improvement in that he is not overall better shooter,scorer. Ray Allen was pretty good,effective for third option.

Terry will help Boston in that Pierce isnt as effective in middle range as before. Terry can run in shoot mid range jumpers and not just wait for 3 points like Allen did in Boston.

Shame Pierce is Celtics legend, he has lost more of his movement, efficiency than Ray Allen lean self.
    Pull List:

The thing about Ray Allen is that his ankle is giving him hell. He was inconsistent late last year, and he's been inconsistent in the preseason.

I agree he is more unpredictable, creative. Im not sure he is as even in his shooting in the long range is what i thought.

He is not an improvement in that he is not overall better shooter,scorer. Ray Allen was pretty good,effective for third option.

Terry will help Boston in that Pierce isnt as effective in middle range as before. Terry can run in shoot mid range jumpers and not just wait for 3 points like Allen did in Boston.

Shame Pierce is Celtics legend, he has lost more of his movement, efficiency than Ray Allen lean self.
    True but Ray is a fine option for the Heat. Their Big 3 takes care of everything besides 3 point shooting on offense.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

What if the problem with Ray is motivation? What if Ray isn't playing well because he doesn't much care anymore? He got traded from "The Three Amigos" to "Fourth Wheel, just shoot the ball."
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

I come to follow NBA because there were no 3 super star teams or a team with many top players because trade,cap system. Soccer in Europe have been damaged by teams buying the best players in one or two teams.

Now it looks only Miami can win the title other than Lakers. Solid challenges are not as many as before. Too old or too young teams.

I hate when teams win title like Boston and Dallas and trade away all players after that.
    True especially outside the EPL. La Liga is the textbook case of only two great teams.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    True but Ray is a fine option for the Heat. Their Big 3 takes care of everything besides 3 point shooting on offense.
    Ray is one of my fav players and i groaned and moaned when he went to Heat of all teams. I hate those guys. As Boston fan its scary, alltime great 3 point shooter getting open passes from Lebron who is doubled is messed up. He is very very fine option for Heat.
    Pull List:

Elder Member

I don't think they've replaced Ray Allen so much as improved upon him. Allen is a decent defender but nowhere near the caliber of Bradley or Lee (the latter is a damn good shooter as well). Terry is more versatile than Allen offensively. The basic point is that they have no questions when it comes to the guard position.
    I can't agree with that. Allen was an underrated defender. Not all-NBA caliber certainly, but he worked well in the Celtics' system. And while Terry is somewhat better off the dribble than Allen, (A) he's not nearly the clutch shooter/scorer that Allen had been for the Celtics and (B) the system they ran, with Rondo dominating the ball, was geared much more towards Allen's catch and shoot game than Terry's off-the-dribble/pick-n-roll game. He also, throughout his career, has been much more prone to run hot-and-cold than Allen.

I haven't really heard much talk about Green. I've heard more buzz about Sullinger.
    I guess we listen to different people then.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post
    What if the problem with Ray is motivation? What if Ray isn't playing well because he doesn't much care anymore? He got traded from "The Three Amigos" to "Fourth Wheel, just shoot the ball."
    According to many reports, he and Rondo didn't get along and Allen had basically had his fill of the kid.