Page 20 of 241 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    when they had the shortened season last year, I thought 66 games worked rather well

Id be all for shortening the season and starting it in November or right after Christmas

baseball could knock 20 games off the schedule and it would work

I think a 72 game season is a nice compromise.

While Pop had every right to do what he did, I can see Stern's point.

Yeah, Stern might only be doing it because it was a nationally televised game, but there were fans at that game for whom that was going to be the only game they see all season. I don't know anybody who can afford to do much more than that anyway.

Somebody should consider that.

Stern would have a point if he did not make the Spurs play 4 games in 5 days while letting the Heat rest since Saturday. Even a young team would be hard pressed not to suffer from fatigue after that. Plus its not a violation of the rules.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Stern would have a point if he did not make the Spurs play 4 games in 5 days while letting the Heat rest since Saturday. Even a young team would be hard pressed not to suffer from fatigue after that. Plus its not a violation of the rules.
    Actually it apparently is
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/86...itting-players
    The league's statement said the Spurs were in violation of league policy reviewed with the board of governors in April 2010 against resting players in a manner "contrary to the best interests of the NBA."
    Moral of the story is, rest em on days that you're not nationally televised.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 11-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Again response don't give a team 4 games in 5 days when you know they are old and have tendency to rest.

So what you're saying is give teams preferential treatment based on the age of their roster? Um no. If your age is preventing you from meeting the grind of a season its time to retire.

And anyway it seems the Spurs aren't the only team with a 4 game in 5 days stretch, the Heat for example have one on Dec 25th through the 29th. I'm willing to bet every team has stretches like that in their schedule this year. And they've likely taken note of this example.

Should point out I think a quarter of a mil over this is retarded.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 11-30-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

Schedule the Heat first then since its the marquee primetime match.

So once again favoritism for a team based on age? And seriously EVERY time the Heat play on Thursday its generally the marquee prime time match. You think they won't be the major game on Christmas day(considering its against OKC...)?
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

Jaw Squad Member

Stern's fine is an absolutely ridiculous decision, and it sets a terrible precedent.
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Actually it apparently is
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/86...itting-players

Moral of the story is, rest em on days that you're not nationally televised.
    one of the most vague's rules ever. By the logic any Star player sent home for being hurt is fine-able.
    there are no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Chuck Norris lives in Oklahoma.

so as a lapsed Knicks fan, I'm cautiously optimistic and not in "waiting for the wheels to fall off" mode
    Support your local roller derby league

Elder Member

One of the reasons why the NBA got rid of the "injured list" a few years ago and replaced it with an "inactive list" was so that teams would no longer have to make up injuries in order to hold out healthy players and then lie to the league office, media, and fans about it (which they'd been doing for decades with the league's full knowledge), so the NBA is fully aware of and has long been complicit in teams doing this. For Stern to suddenly act like it's an outrage and an affront to the integrity of the game just because it involves a national TV game against the defending champs and the league's golden boy is major league hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix View Post
    one of the most vague's rules ever. By the logic any Star player sent home for being hurt is fine-able.
    I'm sure allowing injured players to recover isn't going to be argued as being "contrary to the best interests of the NBA," and the resulting shit storm from the players union certainly would be.

Speaking of Players Unions I'm surprised they don't go after these vaguely worded rules during collective bargaining, as they really do give the league a lot of power.
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I'm sure allowing injured players to recover isn't going to be argued as being "contrary to the best interests of the NBA," and the resulting shit storm from the players union certainly would be.

Speaking of Players Unions I'm surprised they don't go after these vaguely worded rules during collective bargaining, as they really do give the league a lot of power.
    Except that exactly what the spurs did in a way. And I agree this kinda of rule should not have been allowed to exist in the first place with the language applied to it.
    there are no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Chuck Norris lives in Oklahoma.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This rule is pretty silly really. I mean... your basically telling a coach he can't actually make a decision about his players , just because its a national tv game ? If I was the Spurs owner I would balk at paying this fine and tell the league I'd plan to fight it. And its not like the coach for the Spurs hasn't done this before...in one article on ESPN its said he's done this a few times over the years , taking his stars out a game to rest.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    This rule is pretty silly really. I mean... your basically telling a coach he can't actually make a decision about his players , just because its a national tv game ? If I was the Spurs owner I would balk at paying this fine and tell the league I'd plan to fight it. And its not like the coach for the Spurs hasn't done this before...in one article on ESPN its said he's done this a few times over the years , taking his stars out a game to rest.
    What funny is Pop has had the best record 2 out of the last 3 years in the NBA.