Page 29 of 139 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Seems we have our first negative review from newsarama.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/best...vengers-1.html
    Creepy Black Brotherhood Member

Brother Judge will leave you in Fudge.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadey10 View Post
    Seems we have our first negative review from newsarama.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/best...vengers-1.html
    Sounds more like "TOO MUCH BLACK PANTHER" than it being a bad book.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    Sounds more like "TOO MUCH BLACK PANTHER" than it being a bad book.
    My thoughts exactly. And this is the same site that has been giving Thor: GOT low scores smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadey10 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. And this is the same site that has been giving Thor: GOT low scores smh.
    I mean, I understand that the reader was probably thinking it'd start like the Bendis Illuminati issues (everyone shows up, talking heads ensues), but I think establishing the threat first is a better idea.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

The preview pages alone had me excited and that was the exact pages the reviewer complains about. Too much Black Panther.... is a very GOOD thing

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    I mean, I understand that the reader was probably thinking it'd start like the Bendis Illuminati issues (everyone shows up, talking heads ensues), but I think establishing the threat first is a better idea.
    Not necessarily an unfair assumption. So far, they've all been 'done in one' stories. Expecting that same vein isn't an entirely unreasonable expectation.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Wot-ev. The reviewer clearly expected one thing and got something else.

From the initial interviews...this was not meant to be TDWFH's Illuminati continued nor was it meant to be the smart version of Hickman's other Avengers. And given the characters involved did he really expect them to all gather honky-dory-like and just "go to work"? In 20 pages? Again, this is not really a companion book to the Avengers.

In my estimation this is more akin to Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D in overall scope and depth...with brilliant superheroes instead of brilliant historical figures. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Not necessarily an unfair assumption. So far, they've all been 'done in one' stories. Expecting that same vein isn't an entirely unreasonable expectation.
    Bendis never wrote the Illuminati as an ongoing though, so I'd say it is unreasonable to expect the same thing.

It's not unreasonable. That's not the problem. It's the outright distaste of a different direction completely shading the review that makes this review questionable.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

I think the criticism is a bit simpler than that.

I think he expected a team book to focus on the team, rather than one specific member.

Anytime a team book does that, it gets some degree of heat. Many for example essentially considered Brubakers Secret Avengers a Captain America book, and Slotts Mighty Avengers a Hank Pym book.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the criticism is a bit simpler than that.

I think he expected a team book to focus on the team, rather than one specific member.

Anytime a team book does that, it gets some degree of heat. Many for example essentially considered Brubakers Secret Avengers a Captain America book, and Slotts Mighty Avengers a Hank Pym book.
    Which is understandable, I guess...but given the premise...and the characters involved, did he truly expect an "Illuminati Assemble!"-type story in 20 pages?
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

To quote the reviewer: "This book isn't supposed to be just a Black Panther spotlight, but a team book — without the actual payoff of seeing the team in action, I can't help but feel seriously disappointed in this missed opportunity to make good on a fantastic."

This person has... strange expectations of a first issue. Who expects payoff of what is meant to be a long ongoing series from issue one? Was the reason for the gathering of the world's most powerful and influential heroes suppose to be simply explained away instead of actually being shown? Strange review.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    And given the characters involved did he really expect them to all gather honky-dory-like and just "go to work"? In 20 pages?
    Exactly, the reviewer should be complaining about Marvel, continuing to not add more content to their high profile $4 books, like Dc does, sh!t, Justice League #15 clocked in at 34 story pgs, (Shazam backup included) I'd imagine his viewpoint would of been a tad bit different, if there were more content, more could have happened as far as team interaction, still in all, the reviewer was madd nitpicky, either way, I can't wait to read this for myself....

Quote Originally Posted by NEWSARAMA
    Compared to his action-heavy Avengers, it's definitely a jolt to see Hickman slow things down so much when he brings us into Wakanda, spending three pages introducing a team of scientists that you just know won't have much impact on the rest of the series"
    After reading the above, did anyone else think that it's going to be hilarious when that team of scientists does something significant / awesome 20 issues down the line?

IMO, when Hickman spends 3 pages introducing someone / something, I don't think "Ugh why waste 3 pages on characters that don't matter!" , more like: "These characters must matter if he's spending 3 pages on them"

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    After reading the above, did anyone else think that it's going to be hilarious when that team of scientists does something significant / awesome 20 issues down the line?

IMO, when Hickman spends 3 pages introducing someone / something, I don't think "Ugh why waste 3 pages on characters that don't matter!" , more like: "These characters must matter if he's spending 3 pages on them"
    Yeah I read that sentence thinking "Has this guy ever read a Hickman ongoing before?" lol