Page 29 of 139 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 2084
  1. #421
    Brother Judge Shadey10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Carolina
    Posts
    1,848

    Default

    Seems we have our first negative review from newsarama.

    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/best...vengers-1.html
    Creepy Black Brotherhood Member

    Brother Judge will leave you in Fudge.

  2. #422
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    13,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadey10 View Post
    Seems we have our first negative review from newsarama.

    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/best...vengers-1.html
    Sounds more like "TOO MUCH BLACK PANTHER" than it being a bad book.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."


    - Stanisław Jerzy Lec

    http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

  3. #423
    Brother Judge Shadey10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Carolina
    Posts
    1,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    Sounds more like "TOO MUCH BLACK PANTHER" than it being a bad book.
    My thoughts exactly. And this is the same site that has been giving Thor: GOT low scores smh.
    Creepy Black Brotherhood Member

    Brother Judge will leave you in Fudge.

  4. #424
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    13,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadey10 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. And this is the same site that has been giving Thor: GOT low scores smh.
    I mean, I understand that the reader was probably thinking it'd start like the Bendis Illuminati issues (everyone shows up, talking heads ensues), but I think establishing the threat first is a better idea.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."


    - Stanisław Jerzy Lec

    http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

  5. #425
    Askani'son drakeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    The preview pages alone had me excited and that was the exact pages the reviewer complains about. Too much Black Panther.... is a very GOOD thing

  6. #426
    Completely sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    8,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    I mean, I understand that the reader was probably thinking it'd start like the Bendis Illuminati issues (everyone shows up, talking heads ensues), but I think establishing the threat first is a better idea.
    Not necessarily an unfair assumption. So far, they've all been 'done in one' stories. Expecting that same vein isn't an entirely unreasonable expectation.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  7. #427
    Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fionavar
    Posts
    9,496

    Default

    Wot-ev. The reviewer clearly expected one thing and got something else.

    From the initial interviews...this was not meant to be TDWFH's Illuminati continued nor was it meant to be the smart version of Hickman's other Avengers. And given the characters involved did he really expect them to all gather honky-dory-like and just "go to work"? In 20 pages? Again, this is not really a companion book to the Avengers.

    In my estimation this is more akin to Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D in overall scope and depth...with brilliant superheroes instead of brilliant historical figures. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

  8. #428
    Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Not necessarily an unfair assumption. So far, they've all been 'done in one' stories. Expecting that same vein isn't an entirely unreasonable expectation.
    Bendis never wrote the Illuminati as an ongoing though, so I'd say it is unreasonable to expect the same thing.

  9. #429
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    13,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Not necessarily an unfair assumption. So far, they've all been 'done in one' stories. Expecting that same vein isn't an entirely unreasonable expectation.
    It's not unreasonable. That's not the problem. It's the outright distaste of a different direction completely shading the review that makes this review questionable.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."


    - Stanisław Jerzy Lec

    http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

  10. #430
    Elder Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    58,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Not necessarily an unfair assumption. So far, they've all been 'done in one' stories. Expecting that same vein isn't an entirely unreasonable expectation.
    I think the criticism is a bit simpler than that.

    I think he expected a team book to focus on the team, rather than one specific member.

    Anytime a team book does that, it gets some degree of heat. Many for example essentially considered Brubakers Secret Avengers a Captain America book, and Slotts Mighty Avengers a Hank Pym book.

  11. #431
    Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fionavar
    Posts
    9,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the criticism is a bit simpler than that.

    I think he expected a team book to focus on the team, rather than one specific member.

    Anytime a team book does that, it gets some degree of heat. Many for example essentially considered Brubakers Secret Avengers a Captain America book, and Slotts Mighty Avengers a Hank Pym book.
    Which is understandable, I guess...but given the premise...and the characters involved, did he truly expect an "Illuminati Assemble!"-type story in 20 pages?
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

  12. #432
    Junior Member Etoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Zambia, Africa
    Posts
    439

    Default

    To quote the reviewer: "This book isn't supposed to be just a Black Panther spotlight, but a team book — without the actual payoff of seeing the team in action, I can't help but feel seriously disappointed in this missed opportunity to make good on a fantastic."

    This person has... strange expectations of a first issue. Who expects payoff of what is meant to be a long ongoing series from issue one? Was the reason for the gathering of the world's most powerful and influential heroes suppose to be simply explained away instead of actually being shown? Strange review.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
    .

  13. #433
    "Trust No One" agent_graves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    And given the characters involved did he really expect them to all gather honky-dory-like and just "go to work"? In 20 pages?
    Exactly, the reviewer should be complaining about Marvel, continuing to not add more content to their high profile $4 books, like Dc does, sh!t, Justice League #15 clocked in at 34 story pgs, (Shazam backup included) I'd imagine his viewpoint would of been a tad bit different, if there were more content, more could have happened as far as team interaction, still in all, the reviewer was madd nitpicky, either way, I can't wait to read this for myself....

  14. #434
    Senior Member Whip Whirlwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NEWSARAMA
    Compared to his action-heavy Avengers, it's definitely a jolt to see Hickman slow things down so much when he brings us into Wakanda, spending three pages introducing a team of scientists that you just know won't have much impact on the rest of the series"
    After reading the above, did anyone else think that it's going to be hilarious when that team of scientists does something significant / awesome 20 issues down the line?

    IMO, when Hickman spends 3 pages introducing someone / something, I don't think "Ugh why waste 3 pages on characters that don't matter!" , more like: "These characters must matter if he's spending 3 pages on them"

  15. #435
    Brother Judge Shadey10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Carolina
    Posts
    1,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    After reading the above, did anyone else think that it's going to be hilarious when that team of scientists does something significant / awesome 20 issues down the line?

    IMO, when Hickman spends 3 pages introducing someone / something, I don't think "Ugh why waste 3 pages on characters that don't matter!" , more like: "These characters must matter if he's spending 3 pages on them"
    Yeah I read that sentence thinking "Has this guy ever read a Hickman ongoing before?" lol
    Creepy Black Brotherhood Member

    Brother Judge will leave you in Fudge.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •