Page 22 of 139 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    I guess it's a matter of opinion, but the following have posed significant threats here and there:

The Enchantress
    Hela
    Mystique
    Madam Hydra
    Dark Phoenix
    Morgan le Fey
    Moonstone
    The Skrull Queen
    Madam Masque
    Forget feats for a second though, what does your gut tell you? Is it more "oh noes, what shall our heroes do" or "time for this uppity bitch to get smacked down and learn her place"? Perhaps this is mostly a product of reader bias, but of course a credibly written villain can cut through that quite easily, and I'm not sure Marvel has quite hit the mark on this yet.

Some of those villains did have great moments. Dark Phoenix's original story was great. They have since chipped away at 'her' greatness. That tends to happen to villains no matter the gender though. Morgan le Fey was actually the biggest threat that the Dark Avengers faced during their run. Even Sentry couldn't defeat her. The lady baddies have had their moments they've just never managed to become as iconic as Doom, Magneto, Thanos etc. That gets at the heart of what you are saying and I think that's just the nature of comics. And it's true on the heroes side as well. There is no female equivalent of the Big 3 at Marvel.

But this could be their chance to try and change that if they go that route with this character. Has it been confirmed that her name is Black Swan? I thought that was speculation?

to be fair marvel never really had a Big 3 until recently. In the past things were basically dominated by Spider-man and the X-men. We might never have gotten them as the Big 3 if marvel had not sold the rights to Spider-man and the X-men.

Its speculation based on the solicit and her appearance.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    Forget feats for a second though, what does your gut tell you? Is it more "oh noes, what shall our heroes do" or "time for this uppity bitch to get smacked down and learn her place"? Perhaps this is mostly a product of reader bias, but of course a credibly written villain can cut through that quite easily, and I'm not sure Marvel has quite hit the mark on this yet.
    So Options are

1. She Joins
    2. She develops as a True Longterm Villian
    3. A Smackdown

Although I suppose some combination works

I still feel Marvel should have just launched a illuminati series, NA has nothing to do with these guys.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I still feel Marvel should have just launched a illuminati series, NA has nothing to do with these guys.
    Well if you just pretend it says Illuminati on the cover instead of New Avengers, then you'll be all set.

Regards Black Swan, I'm guessing that most people aren't aware of fragility as a concept and Black Swan Theory?

I'm guessing that Hickman has been reading his Taleb, and that NA is potentially going to be a little high brow for the casual reader.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Regards Black Swan, I'm guessing that most people aren't aware of fragility as a concept and Black Swan Theory?

I'm guessing that Hickman has been reading his Taleb, and that NA is potentially going to be a little high brow for the casual reader.
    Nah, we'll be all right. Hickman always uses crazy concepts and super science elements in nearly all his work, and I've always been able to follow him with no problems.

They made their first appearance in New Avengers. Both of their mini-series and one shot had New Avengers as part of the title. Like the original NA, their membership includes former Avengers in a 'new' configuration. I really don't know how you can say they have NOTHING to do with NA. And it isn't like NA has 50 years of team identity that is somehow being violated -- it's a relatively NEW concept.

Besides. Who cares? It's clearly a branding move to help the book SELL. Like Fearless DEFENDERS. More power to them, as I want this book to succeed.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up, Lady A. It definitely sounds like something Hickman would be interested in.

Boy, haven't I run into THIS on the boards often enough. LOL!

... and after the fact is often inappropriately rationalized with the benefit of hindsight.

Marvel's just cashing on on the Avengers name (and will be loosely tied to Avengers)

keep in mind that the original Illuminati series was also call 'New Avengers: The Illuminati.'
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

Yep power of Branding
    As for high brow well it is hickman

I think that is why I am looking forward to it. Not that I don't enjoy a lot of the other titles out now. But this has a chance to be something different.

I've heard of Taleb's book but never read it. I may check it out now though.

Why aren't any of the Norse God represented among the Illuminati?
    In other words, it would be great to see Lady Sif join their ranks..
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12