Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Looks like Hell is coming back to Seattle. I loved watching my town get devastated in the Emerald City Con exclusive (they even mentioned my neighborhood by name - pure geekdom glee!), and it's good to see that the creatures unleashed in the PNW haven't been completely put down or forgotten.

Impressive 6 page preview up on the Dark Horse site.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/19-501?page=0

What sword is this? It reminds me of the one from Hollow Earth that the weird little guy had. But then what's it doing in that storage. Unless I'm completely wrong on it being the same one.

Larzod and the sword/axe/lance thing show up in the first Witchfinder series.

It shows up a few times. There's certainly more than one of them around. It's a Hyperborean weapon.

The mention of Jack the Ripper was no doubt deliberate. Mike Mignola told me at NYCC that he's got a Witchfinder story in mind for this...
    Last edited by Middenway; 12-29-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior Wormwood View Post
    Impressive 6 page preview up on the Dark Horse site.
    Looks and reads and seems positively stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    The mention of Jack the Ripper was no doubt deliberate. Mike Mignola told me at NYCC that he's got a Witchfinder story in mind for this...
    Mr Mike revisiting his Gaslight glory, epic!
    And I wonder if the Ripper story wouldn't be the one at the end of which the good Sir would be to go up in smoke...
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Chicago was the last place that Ed Grey was seen alive... coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
    Chicago was the last place that Ed Grey was seen alive... coincidence?
    Oh, man... All this speculation is getting me more and more amped for what's to come! So thankful for this board and the details you are all able to remember and piece together.

i don't think it can be coincidence... the reason he (Grey) went to Chicago was because he heard a branch of the Heliopic Brotherhood was holding meetings there.

James Harren's art looks as amazing as ever, but I just can't get terribly excited about a comic written by Scott Allie. I really did not enjoy Pickens County Horror or The Dead Remembered and that preview doesn't really do it for me beyond the art. I just hope the two-issue story is alot more satisfying than Pickens at least.

But yeah, James Harren - that cover art is gorgeous.

Page 2 raw inks:

Default Issue 1

Well, that was awesome.

Not a fan of this one at all - just a constant wall of exposition with barely a narrative. As a single issue reading experience, this was weak. Considering the last issue had world blowing up this really needed more of a hook.

Love James Harren though.

Considering we're being introduced to a whole new world, I think the emphasis was on atmosphere more than anything. They really nailed that for me. I'm also biased though, because I know this story wasn't written to follow The Return of the Master. It was supposed to come out in November and December, but the shift to ongoing numbering changed that. But I liked the choice to take it slow with this world, giving the reader a feel for it before getting too complicated.

Though I enjoyed #103, I think this one definitely suffers from its placement right at the end of a much bigger plotline... or rather, set slightly before the end of a much bigger plotline. (Though from what the writers have said it sounds like this was pretty much unavoidable given the way things worked out schedule-wise)

There's really no way it could hold a candle to the last arc, at least in terms of impact and action, so I'm trying not to compare the two, but it's hard not to compare one plot with the next now that they're sort of sequentially numbered. I think it's going to take some time for both the readers and the writers to adjust to the new numbering system and what it means for the course of the plot as a whole and how it will be told. This transition, for example, just feels kind of awkward even though all the pieces are there for it to be something that would normally catch my attention. I like it and there's nothing wrong with it, but it somehow feels 'off' here. Maybe just because of the odd timing of it.

For some reason the pre-history timeline of these comics hasn't ever interested me much, but I am still glad to see it explored some more and I'm curious to see where they're going to go with it. Obvious really interesting connections between the Hyperborean(?) weapon and Liz, Hecate, Jim, Memnan Saa, basically anyone who's messed around with the Vril energy before.

Plus, James Harren's art just keeps getting better and better every time we see it! It really is fantastic here.