Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Enda8011 View Post
    Well, one can hardly consider Harry Potter a "regular adventure hero". Benevolent wizards in contemporary settings hardly show up as often in prose fiction other than the Adept by Kurtz and a few others. Benevolent wizards in such a setting seem more common in comic books and comic strips (Zatara, Doctor Strange, Mandrake, Doctor Fate, etc.).
    I didn't say he was a regular adventure hero.

Harry Potter resembles Tim Hunter a tad, so that suggests a comic book antecedent.

Harry Potter resembles Tim Hunter a tad, so that suggests a comic book antecedent.

Harry Potter also resembles Harry Potter Jr, a character who has nothing to do with comic books. He's also kind of like Wart from The Sword in the Stone, which I don't think was a comic book.

Well, sorry, I have to scrub this assertion [of Phil Clark about Superman 78 as accurate]. West, in the first episode, did refer to the murder of his parents by "dastardly criminals". The Reeve Superman film has some tongue in cheek aspects such as Otis the bumbling underling. The Salkinds tried to channel the Richard Lester Three Musketeers and Alain Delon's Zorro ("Here’s to being free la la la la la la Zorro’s back! Here’s to flying high la la la la la la Zorro’s back!").

Changes in the Reeve films; the Phantom Zone did not resemble its comic book counterpart, what of his time as Superboy, why did Luthor not have that purple jumpsuit, what about Steve Lombard, Morgan Edge, why did the Fortress of Solitude look so odd, etc.
    I didn't like the Superman movie from '78. In other words, starting with that movie and onwards, they've never made a good superhero movie. Or at least, not a great one, a faithful one. I enjoyed Christopher Reeves as Superman. He is Superman as far as I'm concerned, and anyone else is simply a poor faxsimile. But the movie sucked, the origin was changed, the powers changed, the villains were poorly done (this coming from a huge Gene Hackman fan), etc. The sequels sucked even more. The 90's movies sucked (Spawn, etc), and the Spiderman, Xmen, FF and Hulk movies all sucked (some much more than others). To be totally clear, the last truly great, truly faithful superhero movie was Batman (1966). I pray that either Iron Man or even moreso Thor is a truly great, faithfully done superhero movie.

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum....OR-2011?page=1

I didn't like the Superman movie from '78. In other words, starting with that movie and onwards, they've never made a good superhero movie. Or at least, not a great one, a faithful one. I enjoyed Christopher Reeves as Superman. He is Superman as far as I'm concerned, and anyone else is simply a poor faxsimile. But the movie sucked, the origin was changed, the powers changed, the villains were poorly done (this coming from a huge Gene Hackman fan), etc. The sequels sucked even more. The 90's movies sucked (Spawn, etc), and the Spiderman, Xmen, FF and Hulk movies all sucked (some much more than others). To be totally clear, the last truly great, truly faithful superhero movie was Batman (1966). I pray that either Iron Man or even moreso Thor is a truly great, faithfully done superhero movie.

lol that's rich. There has never been a comic movie close to Superman. And what do you mean "you pray"? Iron Man and Thor have come out years ago.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

Comicbook Guy?
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pothier View Post
    Comicbook Guy?
    Worst. post. ever.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

wow

that is a person who knows no joy
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    wow

that is a person who knows no joy
    So that would be yes to the question "Comicbook Guy?".

I'm unsure as to why they continue to link to random board post quotes as if that makes them an expert on the subject.
    It's also funny because it's basically like the image from this tropes page:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...edItNowItSucks

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    Harry Potter also resembles Harry Potter Jr, a character who has nothing to do with comic books. He's also kind of like Wart from The Sword in the Stone, which I don't think was a comic book.
    I suppose Harry Potter, as he wears normal attire, sort of resembles Doctor Strange if they made a film version with him just wearing a Brooks Brothers or Armani suit with a tie.

I posted this to scrub Phil Clark's assertion as to the Reeve Superman films as more accurate to the comic books than the Adam West show/film.

I didn't like the Superman movie from '78.
    Apparently...

I enjoyed Christopher Reeves as Superman. He is Superman as far as I'm concerned, and anyone else is simply a poor faxsimile.
    So you are actually conflicted about the movie?

But the movie sucked, the origin was changed, the powers changed...
    The origin was the same. Alien races dieing planet about to explode, so a father sends his only son to earth to save him from the fate of his people. Sounds about right. And his powers changed? Lets see. Super Strength? Check. Invulnerability? Check. Speed? Check. Flight? Check. Heat Vision? Check. X-Ray vision? Check.

...the villains were poorly done (this coming from a huge Gene Hackman fan)...
    No argument there.

...etc.
    Huh?

The sequels sucked even more.
    Superman II was more awesome than Superman I because at least we had Zod and Ursa. Non... well, he lived up to his name. Ok, the whole ripping the shield off his chest and doing something with it... that was goofy. But that I can forgive.

But all subsequent sequels I agree, they did "suck".

I didn't like the Superman movie from '78. In other words, starting with that movie and onwards, they've never made a good superhero movie. Or at least, not a great one, a faithful one. I enjoyed Christopher Reeves as Superman. He is Superman as far as I'm concerned, and anyone else is simply a poor faxsimile. But the movie sucked, the origin was changed
    In what way was the origin changed? The first act, which was Krypton was very much like the comics. The technology and clothing changed, but that was to make the film the opposite of the 60's Batman which was considered camp. Not to mention what could be done in 1970's budget and technology. The rest was the same. Jor-El locks up Zod, Ursa and Non. He's credited with the creation of the Phantom Zone. The Council refuses to listen to him. Jor-El and Lara wrap Kal-El in the blankets and send him to Earth, before Krypton explodes. The second act with Smallville was like the Golden Age comics, where Superboy wasn't part of the origin. Jonathan's death was based on the Golden Age origins. The crystal technology was to have a storyline between father and son, which in turn became part of the lore. Act three is different just like all other media versions of Superman's origin changes from the comics.

the powers changed
    The powers were the same. What was shown in Lester's film and Furie's film were based on the Silver Age, where Superman had random powers that would show up and then disappear, such as shooting out a tiny Superman from his finger. The core powers of flight, strength, invulnerability, speed, heat vision, x-ray vision, telescopic vision, super hearing, super breath and arctic breath were seen in all five films.

the villains were poorly done (this coming from a huge Gene Hackman fan), etc.
    Lex was done in a realistic way, by having him have a real motive for his criminal career. Zod followed the same type of stories that had been published to that point.

the 90's movies sucked (Spawn, etc), and the Spiderman, Xmen, FF and Hulk movies all sucked (some much more than others).
    How?

I suppose Harry Potter, as he wears normal attire, sort of resembles Doctor Strange if they made a film version with him just wearing a Brooks Brothers or Armani suit with a tie.
    No, that would be the 70's TV movie. In a feature film, he'd be wearing the most current costume from the comics. So let me guess, you want films that are actual adaptations of comics. Sorry, Hollywood has to sell this shit to the mainstream masses who scoff at comics. They're the ones who see these films and they outnumber comic book fans by a wide margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    But all subsequent sequels I agree, they did "suck".
    I maintain that the junkyard fight saves III.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...