Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Is Warner Bros. Embarrassed by Superhero Tropes?

In anticipation of Warner Bros' "Arrow," Alan Kistler explores the studio's current interest in DC Comics' superheroes, asking why it won't embrace what made the characters popular in the first place.

Full article here.

A good article that makes a valid point. I'm constantly worried that Warner Bros really don't know how to adapt DC's characters and don't want to be seen to be copying Marvel... the whole point of bringing these characters to the big screen is because they have a dedicated fan base already who like what they've seen in the comics, so why not just give them that onscreen? That said, one of the reasons I used to watch Smallville was the anticipation of seeing the suit or picking up a few Easter egg hints to the rest of the comic book DC universe, so maybe it works in their favour that way. But looking forward to Man of Steel and Arrow, hope they are good. Just don't want another Catwoman or a below-par Green Lantern or - god forbid - a Frank Miller's Justice League.

If Avengers was a massive hit despite being cheesy and colourful, why not giving a chance to DC characters as well?

With the number of $100 million + hits that the comic book genre has spawned, how much more success is needed before the suits stop worrying about comic weirdness?

Just wanted to drop by and say it's such an astute analysis. Now that I look at it, there is that undercurrent of trying to distance their TV and film projects from their 4-color origins. Or it's just that WB just plain doesn't know what to do with superheroes.
    Nine Years of Behold the Geek!

Pulls: The Sixth Gun, Wolverine and the X-Men, Daredevil, Supergirl

Honestly since, I dunno, maybe The Dark Knight I've had this feeling like Warner Brothers is ashamed to admit that the source material for some of these things comes from comic books. Maybe it's because Green Lantern flopped, maybe it's because they don't want to be seen as copying Marvel (if they rush out a Justice League movie that will happen anyway), maybe they're just too caught up in wanting to be 'dark' or 'grounded' or 'real'.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

BANNED

WORST OPINION PIECE EVER. Give me a break.

I think TV's lower budgets make it difficult to fully embrace the comic book 'look and feel' without coming across as unbearably cheesy.
    "I find myself in the service of lost boys struggling to be strong men." - Robin: Year One

Excellent article that makes a valid, real and gritty point. No fantasy or fun present in this article.

It would clearly be approved by WB
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

I honestly belive it is the writers and producers of the shows that do not to used the source material it them saying that even if it has been around 50 years I can make it better by taking out the comic elements and then when the fans do not want it they then say that it is the fans that are tire of the movies and tv shows

It may not be fair to blame the studios. Seriously they have tried to stick to DC source material at times but the most vocal critics when they do are the DC comic fans themselves. I've heard many fans refer to costumes and capes as "silly" and "cheesy". And many geeks say the source material is "dated", "simplistic", "hokey" etc. Studios take notice of things like this, I mean I didn't even see the WW pilot but damn people went for the jugular, it was the fans who didn't even give it a chance. Now people complain when the suits distance themselves, what do people expect?

Hmm, interesting read.

Eh, a CBR article that i actually enjoyed to read !! It certainly calls for a celebration : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTgx_pj6m8

I dont think they are embarressed they just dont have a clue how to combine all the various elements under their control. It may also be an internal power struggle between the various elements involved, Tv, Movies, & comics. Each one run by and dictated by some different board of directors unwilling to play with or use or give credit to any of the other players. What they fail to get is the huge marketing potential of unifying all of the elements. The comic leads to the animated series which leads to tv which leads to movies which leads to the toy aisle. Each one leading to larger profits for all involved. Sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoFan1973 View Post
    I think TV's lower budgets make it difficult to fully embrace the comic book 'look and feel' without coming across as unbearably cheesy.
    Yeah, this.

Look at how crappy those JSA costumes were on Smallville, and that Wonder Woman costume looked incredibly cheap too (both the promo shot and the one they wound up filming).

I don't see Nolan's Batman suit or even the Man of Steel suit as deviating all that far from the source material -- certainly no more than the Marvel costumes. So, I'm not seeing the movie comparisons, but the TV versions, yeah, there seems to be some shame (or something else) there.

A show about Kal-El/Clark Kent had to be named "Smallville," Green Arrow has to be "Arrow," and the new Wonder Woman show might be named "Amazon," -- it's like they want to use the characters, but not really.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

I agree with this article 1000% -