Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Announced

Looks like they've been listening to the fans. You have Rush and Deep Purple, two bands fans have been clamoring for for years, now. You also have returning favorites like Heart, Donna Summer and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

Full list:

Rush
    Deep Purple
    N.W.A.
    Public Enemy
    Albert King
    The Marvelettes
    Procol Harum
    Chic
    Heart
    Donna Summer
    Kraftwerk
    Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
    Randy Newman
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band
    The Meters

I'm going to guess Deep Purple, Public Enemy, Heart, Donna Summer and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Randy Newman doesn't want in. Rush will be put on the waiting-to-retire list next to KISS. N.W.A. loses out to Public Enemy as the rap group of choice this year. The rest I don't know enough about to comment on.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Kraftwerk were a big influence on New Wave, Post-punk, electronic stuff, etc. I could see them making it, but wouldn't be surprised if they just miss the cut off. Deep Purple has to be a loc. I agree that Rush is too currently viable for what the HOF usually goes for. Heart is still making records too, but I don't think many folks know or care, so they will probably get in. (I do think they deserve it)

Paul Butterfield Blues Band was never the most popular of those British blues rock guitar acts, but they were pretty well respected by other musicians. I don't know if that will put them over the top though.

Public Enemy over NWA definitely.

Chic, The Meters and Donna Summer cover some similar territory but Donna was the biggest name so she will probably get it.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So Davy Jones passed away last year and he still can't get into the Hall. Fuck you Jann Wenner. Fuck you big time .

My picks ...

Deep Purple
    Donna Summer
    N.W.A
    Kraftwork
    Joan Jett
    Randy Newman
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    So Davy Jones passed away last year and he still can't get into the Hall. Fuck you Jann Wenner. Fuck you big time .

My picks ...

Deep Purple
    Donna Summer
    N.W.A
    Kraftwork
    Joan Jett
    Randy Newman
    The monkey should not ever be inducted into the hall of fame.They are like American Idol winners getting to the hall.Sorry Jones is a guy who work in one of the most manufactured groups of all time.

My list

Deep purple
    Rush
    Public Enamy
    Kraftwork.

My hopes for year after
    Slick Rick
    LL Cool j
    Kiss
    Metallica(If they are not in it already)
    Slayer(yes I know but they should be.)
    Bathory( A pipe dream )
    Last edited by darkmetal; 10-06-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmetal View Post
    The monkey should not ever be inducted into the hall of fame.They are like American Idol winners getting to the hall.Sorry Jones is a guy who work in one of the most manufactured groups of all time.
    Yes lets induct the producer of said work , and other singers who were manufactured instead. I am sure this will keep the Monkees out and keep the Hall of Fame pure of course.

I'd say do research on the band at this point.

And fuck Jann Wenner some more for people believing that bullshit.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Joan Jett and Deep Purple please.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Looks like they've been listening to the fans. You have Rush and Deep Purple, two bands fans have been clamoring for for years, now. You also have returning favorites like Heart, Donna Summer and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

Full list:

Rush
    Deep Purple
    N.W.A.
    Public Enemy
    Albert King
    The Marvelettes
    Procol Harum
    Chic
    Heart
    Donna Summer
    Kraftwerk

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
    Randy Newman
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band
    The Meters

I'm going to guess Deep Purple, Public Enemy, Heart, Donna Summer and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Randy Newman doesn't want in. Rush will be put on the waiting-to-retire list next to KISS. N.W.A. loses out to Public Enemy as the rap group of choice this year. The rest I don't know enough about to comment on.
    My picks... At least who I think should go in.

Public Enemy
    Deep Purple
    Kraftwerk
    Donna Summer
    The Meters (for being sampled so often)

Rush.
    Kraftwerk.
    I know why people think Public Enemy should go on, but i can never seem to justify it to myself because i never, ever, ever, ever, ever in my entire life hear people talking about how much they love Public Enemy, the only place i ever really hear them mentioned is when some indie music site feels the need to talk about rap and then point out how important public enemy were.
    But my own personal not caring isn't a reason to keep a band out.

I could see an arguement for n.w.a because they sort of shot off the direction rap would go in for 3-4 years, and were at the forefront of rap becoming mainstream, and 2 of the members went on to very very successful solo careers, technicaly 3 but eazy e died so that kind of got cut off. But cube and dre obviously had a big impact.
    Actually, N.W.A should definetly be in.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

Randy Newman?

really?

really?!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    Randy Newman?

really?

really?!
    Fraid so.... I wouldn't be shocked he doesn't go in. So more people won't laugh at this.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Yes lets induct the producer of said work , and other singers who were manufactured instead. I am sure this will keep the Monkees out and keep the Hall of Fame pure of course.

I'd say do research on the band at this point.
    I know you're referring to the Monkees, but isn't that why Chic is nominated? A massively successful and influential producer in Niles Rodgers who had a hit because he came up with a killer bass riff. I don't see why one but not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I know you're referring to the Monkees, but isn't that why Chic is nominated? A massively successful and influential producer in Niles Rodgers who had a hit because he came up with a killer bass riff. I don't see why one but not the other.
    Because Wenner doesn't like the Monkees and has made it clear to never nominate them. Tork called it a silly vendetta a few years back. That someone suggests inducting them at times and Wenner won't.

A.) They wrote a lot of the music.

B.) They played their own instruments at the end.

C.) Did a movie that has became a cult hit in HEAD.

D.) Have reformed and played a few tours since and released an album in the 80's and 90's.

E) In inducting the producer last year, they cited his work on the Monkees albums . Which is really fucked up you would induct a producer and not those involved in actual singing and performing. But when you use that as a reason to induct said person , what are you saying ? That it was worthy ? But not the people who played ?

I can see why Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin told the Hall to go get fucked last year. Its became a silly joke where a man can keep people out he doesn't like.

I will be pleasantly shocked if Rush, Deep Purple, Heart, and Joan Jett get in.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Albert King unquestionably deserves induction more than anyone else on this list.