Default What issues does WW Odyssey Vol 1/2 include? ( New to WW/comics )

Hi guys,
    I'm a bit new to the comic book scene having just recently become interested in them. That being said I recently purchased Wonder Woman Odyssey Vol 1.

Since I'm new to the scene the issue numbers kind of confuse me so I just have a quick question. I noticed on wikipedia it says the WW Odyssey vol 1/2 cover issues number 600 through 614. However due to many different cover arts on the net I'm confused to whether or not it's the same story.

So question is, does the WW Odyssey story start with THIS #600 issue?

P.S. I was also wondering, is this a good place to start with WW or should i start further back with older issues?
    Last edited by 8BiT; 10-03-2012 at 03:14 PM.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Yes. That contained the first pages of the story line. I'm not sure whether the entire 600 issue will be in that trade, though, since most of it did not relate.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

It starts from JMS's story in #600. So the last... 25% give or take.

As someone who started with #600, I'd say yes and no. Yes for #600, which has some really cute standalones stories, but no for Odyssey, because it's terrible. I'd recommend going further back and beginning with Greg Rucka's run on Wonder Woman V2. Start with The Hiketeia, which is a standalone OGN by the same author.

Yoda's true Master. Darth Twiggy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8BiT View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm a bit new to the comic book scene having just recently become interested in them. That being said I recently purchased Wonder Woman Odyssey Vol 1.

Since I'm new to the scene the issue numbers kind of confuse me so I just have a quick question. I noticed on wikipedia it says the WW Odyssey vol 1/2 cover issues number 600 through 614. However due to many different cover arts on the net I'm confused to whether or not it's the same story.

So question is, does the WW Odyssey story start with THIS #600 issue?

P.S. I was also wondering, is this a good place to start with WW or should i start further back with older issues?
    Hi buddy.
    WW Odyssey Vol 1 starts at the end of issue # 600.
    Issue 600 had lil mini stories in it and the last story was the opener to the Odyssey story line which is what you have.
    So Odyssey Vol 1 contains issues 600 to 607. (or it might be to 608 i forget heh).
    Anyway it IS a good story but if you want to read WW i would recommend you read older stuff because this Odyssey version of WW was a new otherworld version of the classic WW.
    Some books id recommend are
    WW: Gods and Mortals.
    WW: The Hiketeia
    and
    JLA : League of One.
    Or Gail Simones run of WW from 2009-2010
    Last edited by Darth Twiggy; 12-07-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    I know the Power of the Dark Side.

Odyssey is underrated. I enjoyed it a lot.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

I didn't think Odyssey was that bad. It had some interesting ideas, and I think Phil Hester did a great job picking it up and making it work after JMS bailed.

It also had eye-patch Phillipus rocking a football jersey, which was awesome and totally sexy. Actually I loved the idea of Diana having a group of Amazons with her and the way they mixed modern styes with Amazon armour. It looked cool.

The concept of Odyssey, I felt, was okay at the base: An alternate universe spin on Wonder Woman, but it was one of those ideas that really didn't need anymore than a 4-6 issue arc, sure as hell not 14. And because of that, it really drags. Hester took over at around issue 4 or 5, I think, and it does improve, but those issues still arise. It also has a big of baggage of trying to shoehorn this theme of humanizing Diana in a way that really doesn't work too well at all for the character. Of course, being new that won't be an issue for you, I guess. Honestly, I would just say skip it. It's not a bad story per say, and probably suits someone who doesn't know the character at all, but it's just not good enough for me to recommend. The best thing, I would say, is to just start from the New 52 reboot. The first trade (Blood), I believe, just hit paperback, as well as the second coming to HC. It's been a good run so far, and if you like it enough you could go back to other recommendations given here.