Page 165 of 708 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215265665 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 10619

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    He stared at her dumbly, his brain still adjusting the idea of 'Hey, other people who are real. Whose voices don't cut through your mind like shards of broken mirror, reflecting their thoughts and words into your cells and changing your being. Hey. Hey... yo, this is new...'

Still, damp from his dunking in the lake, he shook his head to clear his thoughts. She offered him food and water but felt like... he didn't really need them anymore. I mean, a sandwich would be nice but it wasn't like... a need anymore. His body switched slightly and for an instant the dark outline was visible around his form.

Oh yeah, the not... human any more... thing. Yeah. Right, that... yeah.

Then Tabia spoke, answering his question.

A month. An entire month.

Yeah.

Well.

No.

A lot of that time was unaccounted for. He had the curious sense of waking from a dream that had been going on much longer than he knew and now it all didn't seem real. He resisted the urge to look up and see if the colossal cloud formations of his father, brother and sister were still walking behind him. The oncoming storm, the monsoon, the silence in the rain as he had whispered to Kara.

A month.

A whole month.

He wasn't smiling. That was no longer his default expression. His features seemed harder, sharper somehow. Elewa Ballo was a serious man now, much less soft and easy-going.

"Well... it was... a long walk..." he said slowly to Tabia before turning back to Max. He

"No food... well... it'd be nice but... I don't tink dat I really need it no more y'know? S'been a long walk... lot of jabber jabber talking in my ears and... it was hot and I can... I tink I can like... walk on nothing now. Dat cool. But... yeah..."

His memory twitched as it struggled for a name. Sandwich, that much was accurate, she'd confirmed that much. He was worried that he might have to ask... well, less worried than he would have been in the past... somehow after going mad and all that walking, he didn't seem to much care about how he came across to people any more. Huh. That was new. But he was probably going to have to ask her; it wouldn't do to call someone by a nickname, however endearing, just because you didn't actually know their actual name.

But then it came. A burst of old memory. From the time before the heat and light of the desert.

A face, slightly nervous, but nonetheless extremely beautiful, framed by tresses of brown hair, looking at him with a certain amount of trepidation mixed with relief.

"Hello, I am Maxana. I apologize for not speaking sooner, but I was famished."

Maxana! That was it! It was her, the girl with the sandwich was Maxana. Maxana. Sandwich. Yes... fuck! That was her!

"So... where ya been Max...?" he said vaguely. He figured the ship had taken them somewhere. Wonder where.
    Rivia turned to look at him, pausing for a moment, then her eyes went wide, "Oh, my..." She rushes over to him, "Elewa! Your alive! Thank the heavens, I was so worried about you."
    • Running on Adrenaline and Sheer Willpower.
    • Trying to Stay Sane in an Insane World.
    • Why Should Time Have Wings and Not I?
    • Born in Wrong Comic Book Universe

What's Best For Business Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Then:

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'yleh View Post
    "About two times normal weight, I'd figure."
    "Heh. So, what's it feel like to have the world's most expensive skeleton?"

"See how's she's doing, if she's got a girlfriend, that's good. If she asks you, tell her you're in a relationship that's going places, but you'll always have a spot in your heart for her. If she's not, I'd try and skirt the subject, unless she brings it up herself..." Best advice he could give, considering his track record was pretty terrible.
    She nods at all of this. Pretty fair advice from a guy who somehow fell in love with two women at once.

"Well, asking all that and not choking up sounds easier said than done. But, I think I can do that."

"Probably right." Which was just fine by him, to be honest.
    She just nods.

"No, you're right about that.. But there was something alluring about proposing to a girl on a planet no one on Earth knew existed, after walking away from a fight that almost literally killed us all." He chuckled. "Mm. Sappy looks good on you."
    Yep, a sappy idiot. "Hmm, sounds like the climax from one of those romantic action movies. And a lot of things look good on me, silly emotions aren't one of them."

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    He stared at her dumbly, his brain still adjusting the idea of 'Hey, other people who are real. Whose voices don't cut through your mind like shards of broken mirror, reflecting their thoughts and words into your cells and changing your being. Hey. Hey... yo, this is new...'

Still, damp from his dunking in the lake, he shook his head to clear his thoughts. She offered him food and water but felt like... he didn't really need them anymore. I mean, a sandwich would be nice but it wasn't like... a need anymore. His body switched slightly and for an instant the dark outline was visible around his form.

Oh yeah, the not... human any more... thing. Yeah. Right, that... yeah.

Then Tabia spoke, answering his question.

A month. An entire month.

Yeah.

Well.

No.

A lot of that time was unaccounted for. He had the curious sense of waking from a dream that had been going on much longer than he knew and now it all didn't seem real. He resisted the urge to look up and see if the colossal cloud formations of his father, brother and sister were still walking behind him. The oncoming storm, the monsoon, the silence in the rain as he had whispered to Kara.

A month.

A whole month.

He wasn't smiling. That was no longer his default expression. His features seemed harder, sharper somehow. Elewa Ballo was a serious man now, much less soft and easy-going.

"Well... it was... a long walk..." he said slowly to Tabia before turning back to Max. He

"No food... well... it'd be nice but... I don't tink dat I really need it no more y'know? S'been a long walk... lot of jabber jabber talking in my ears and... it was hot and I can... I tink I can like... walk on nothing now. Dat cool. But... yeah..."

His memory twitched as it struggled for a name. Sandwich, that much was accurate, she'd confirmed that much. He was worried that he might have to ask... well, less worried than he would have been in the past... somehow after going mad and all that walking, he didn't seem to much care about how he came across to people any more. Huh. That was new. But he was probably going to have to ask her; it wouldn't do to call someone by a nickname, however endearing, just because you didn't actually know their actual name.

But then it came. A burst of old memory. From the time before the heat and light of the desert.

A face, slightly nervous, but nonetheless extremely beautiful, framed by tresses of brown hair, looking at him with a certain amount of trepidation mixed with relief.

"Hello, I am Maxana. I apologize for not speaking sooner, but I was famished."

Maxana! That was it! It was her, the girl with the sandwich was Maxana. Maxana. Sandwich. Yes... fuck! That was her!

"So... where ya been Max...?" he said vaguely. He figured the ship had taken them somewhere. Wonder where.
    She stares at him, her mind nearly balking at him calling her by her actual name.

For the many months they have known each other, he has never called her by her real name, and she was more than okay with that. Actually, she preferred that, because she thought the name he called her was rather cute and endearing, like a fond harking back to their first day.

More than it just sounding odd coming out of his mouth, it was so sudden. She was sure he did not even know his name, or preferred to call her by this pet name.

That is not the only thing. He said he did not need to eat food anymore. That is probably more disturbing than the name thing. He had been alone for a month, in the middle of a desert in the hot sun. Surely he should at the very least be thirsty.

He mentions a lot of 'jabber jabber', whatever that is, in his ear while he was walking.

His smile is gone. What has happened to her friend to cause these changes?

To take her mind off of this, she looks over to the large ship in the distance. "That ship is called the Dauntless, from the Old World. It took us to a completely different planet, called Mars." To emphasise, she raises her arm and points upward, towards the heavens and beyond. "I believe you would have really enjoyed it there."

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Then:

"Heh. So, what's it feel like to have the world's most expensive skeleton?"
    "To tell the truth, it's interesting. The diamonds have given me some form of resistance to heat, and let's me manipulate electrical currents that are run through my body... and I'd suppose that if someone actually manages to break them, I can just as easily fix the damage.

She nods at all of this. Pretty fair advice from a guy who somehow fell in love with two women at once.

"Well, asking all that and not choking up sounds easier said than done. But, I think I can do that."
    "It might help if you are. One thing to say you feel that way, and another thing entirely to actually mean it." He shrugged.
    She just nods.

Yep, a sappy idiot. "Hmm, sounds like the climax from one of those romantic action movies. And a lot of things look good on me, silly emotions aren't one of them."
    He shrugged. "Kind of feels like we're in one of those action movies." The last bit made him chuckle. "Beautiful and humble. Oh my.. but really, I think it's nice to see that side of you. Shows you're more than just 'Max's Bodyguard' and Guardian, you know?"
    Armored Frame Division #27: Starlancer Flight - Roland Vance Xel'Tais

"So you think assassinating a 'hero' wouldn't start a war?" Casimir asked. "Hit and run tactics won't work. Once we shut the Gulag down and get into the city, all hell's going to break loose." He shrugged his shoulders. "A war."
    Cammy pointed an accusing finger, "And you're going to take responsibility for every normal person just trying to live their lives who get caught in the crossfire? Killing Vokov as fast as we can is the only way to prevent a war which we'd lose. We're strong, most of us are probably B class. Do you want to be around when his division of loyal A class Paragons show up?! Do you have any idea how much damage a fight like that would cause?!"

"It's either that, or physically round up the family members, which would take longer, and be much more dangerous in the long run. Like I said, once you take down the Gulag it's going to escalate quickly."
    Cammy tilted her head impatiently, "Which is why my plan has us doing that before we take down break everyone out of the Gulag."

"I have the benefit of not having a family to begin with. I'd wager if we had to the Father would shelter them. But we'd still need to get them to gather there, in the Scoop." He replied. "But I seriously doubt his going to ground. He's too arrogant for that."
    She sneered, "Even if he doesn't go to ground, he's going to be the most well protected man in the world, surrounded by the most powerful! We can't handle that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    "Yeah, no," Robert says.

"Not an assassin, you see?" He says pointing at himself. The scarf imitates his movements.

"Or a killer or anything along those lines."
    Cammy frowned, "Then what do you suppose we do with their national hero, surrounded by innocent people willing to die for him? We'd have to find a way to contain him, and I don't think that's within our means to do for an A class psychic."

Robert tilted his head to the side.

"So, just what is this plan that apparently involves prison?"
    Cammy sighed, rubbing her temples, becoming increasingly frustrated with all the heel dragging, "The Gulag is what's most likely powering the shield and also much of the city's defenses. If we take it, we'll be able to bring in the Dauntless for support as well as potentially cripple their defense. Please keep up."
    ~Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long, year, stole many a man's soul and faith.

So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste.

I made Miburo cry on his birthday.

Reached Demon-God Status

My Cat Is Afraid of the Vacuum Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Chrosis--you are a GOD!:D
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch Dude View Post
    Curses! CURRRRSEEEEESSSS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrosis View Post
    Cammy pointed an accusing finger, "And you're going to take responsibility for every normal person just trying to live their lives who get caught in the crossfire? Killing Vokov as fast as we can is the only way to prevent a war which we'd lose. We're strong, most of us are probably B class. Do you want to be around when his division of loyal A class Paragons show up?! Do you have any idea how much damage a fight like that would cause?!"

Cammy tilted her head impatiently, "Which is why my plan has us doing that before we take down break everyone out of the Gulag."

She sneered, "Even if he doesn't go to ground, he's going to be the most well protected man in the world, surrounded by the most powerful! We can't handle that!"

Cammy frowned, "Then what do you suppose we do with their national hero, surrounded by innocent people willing to die for him? We'd have to find a way to contain him, and I don't think that's within our means to do for an A class psychic."

Cammy sighed, rubbing her temples, becoming increasingly frustrated with all the heel dragging, "The Gulag is what's most likely powering the shield and also much of the city's defenses. If we take it, we'll be able to bring in the Dauntless for support as well as potentially cripple their defense. Please keep up."
    Skye was impressed to see Cammy hold her ground here, explaining her position. Sticking to her guns. "I'm leaning towards going after Volkov first as well, before he or anyone else knows there's a threat. Cammy's right; once there's any sign of trouble, we may lose all access to him. For good."

"Meh, we'll figure something out after we kick his ass," Robert said.

Yep. That's it. Keep it up. Sprezzatura. Put on your best fake smile, if that helps.

Act like you actually have an answer that satisfies you.

"That's nice and all, but not what I was asking," Robert said.

New subject. Distraction. Good.

Use it.

"I was asking what was his plan," he said, pointing at Jacob.

Archnemesis of Reason FarBeyondC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    "Sometimes I wish the things I do know will last are just a dream. Like my deformity, and
    "Why you insist on-"

...what happened to my mother."
    "-wait, something happened to your mother?"

Irie knew- from what he told her- that his mother didn't like the sudden changes he went through and that she- along with every other family member save his uncle- refused to speak with him, but this latest bit of information was potentially troubling.

She reaches for one of his hands, as she says:

"Don't feel as if you have to answer that, if you don't want to talk about it."

[ooc]Blame the retcon, again.[/ooc]

"You said something before about being bait?"
    She sighed; even though she knew he was going to ask her something she wasn't going to like answering, she still didn't expect him to ask about that in particular.

"I did, though I wish now that I hadn't. Come on," she said as got up, "I just thought of a place we can go to; I'll tell you about what that on the way."

She then remembers his comments on what she was wearing.

"Actually, could you give me a couple of minutes so I can put on something more suitable?"
    Last edited by FarBeyondC; 11-16-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    "That which does not grow falls into decay."

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

"Do you understand the ramifications of assassinating a national hero? You'd be making him a martyr for his cause. It would only justify his actions in the eyes of the people who followed him and embolden the ones against it. It'd be like trying to slay a dragon by lightning it on fire. You can't kill someone like this and expect that to be the end of the problem." Casimir countered.

"Which means I'd most likely be the one to do it." He smiled.

"Really now? What makes you think that?"

Casimir said nothing, just listened to Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedElphaba View Post
    Skye was impressed to see Cammy hold her ground here, explaining her position. Sticking to her guns. "I'm leaning towards going after Volkov first as well, before he or anyone else knows there's a threat. Cammy's right; once there's any sign of trouble, we may lose all access to him. For good."
    "I agree he needs tl die. But he can't die a martyr." Casimir replied. "It wouldn't fix anything."

Quote Originally Posted by WickedElphaba View Post
    Cammy smiled at the sound of Skye's support. She couldn't imagine where she'd be without the girl.

With renewed confidence she continued, voicing her agreement with Skye, "If he does get out of reach, then all of this was pointless."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    "Meh, we'll figure something out after we kick his ass," Robert said.

Yep. That's it. Keep it up. Sprezzatura. Put on your best fake smile, if that helps.

Act like you actually have an answer that satisfies you.
    Cammy's frown returned, "We can't risk everything on 'figuring it out when the time comes'. We need a plan."

"That's nice and all, but not what I was asking," Robert said.

New subject. Distraction. Good.

Use it.

"I was asking what was his plan," he said, pointing at Jacob.
    Cammy glanced at Jacob and shrugged, "He's been tight lipped."
    ~Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long, year, stole many a man's soul and faith.

So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste.

I made Miburo cry on his birthday.

Reached Demon-God Status

My Cat Is Afraid of the Vacuum Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Chrosis--you are a GOD!:D
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch Dude View Post
    Curses! CURRRRSEEEEESSSS!!!

"Which means I'd most likely be the one to do it." He smiled.
    "Why is that, exactly?" Ramilia asks.

Cammy's frown returned, "We can't risk everything on 'figuring it out when the time comes'. We need a plan."
    Robert shrugged.

"And yet I still like that idea better than your plan."

"Come on, do you really want to be a killer?"

Cammy glanced at Jacob and shrugged, "He's been tight lipped."
    "Let's hear what he has to say then."
    Last edited by Hazard; 11-16-2012 at 01:03 PM.

"To tell the truth, it's interesting. The diamonds have given me some form of resistance to heat, and let's me manipulate electrical currents that are run through my body... and I'd suppose that if someone actually manages to break them, I can just as easily fix the damage.
    She nods appreciatively. "Sounds like a good deal. How exactly did you go about doing that?"

"It might help if you are. One thing to say you feel that way, and another thing entirely to actually mean it." He shrugged.
    "Yeah, that's true. But I'm afraid I may actually mean it. I don't know, I guess I'll have to meditate on it."

He shrugged. "Kind of feels like we're in one of those action movies." The last bit made him chuckle. "Beautiful and humble. Oh my.. but really, I think it's nice to see that side of you. Shows you're more than just 'Max's Bodyguard' and Guardian, you know?"
    She smirks. "Just don't get used to it. I have an image to maintain. I can't be effective if people start thinking I'm soft."

"Why is that, exactly?" Ramilia asks.
    "I'm one of the more versatile members of this little group." Casimir replied calmly.

She nods appreciatively. "Sounds like a good deal. How exactly did you go about doing that?"
    "Same way I used to make diamonds." He replied. "Extreme amounts of pressure, and heat, focused evenly around a stone. Only instead of on rock, I did it to my own skeleton... Really quite painful."

"Yeah, that's true. But I'm afraid I may actually mean it. I don't know, I guess I'll have to meditate on it."
    "We'll if there's one thing we have, it's time. I'd figure we've still got a ways to go before any of this goes back to normal."

She smirks. "Just don't get used to it. I have an image to maintain. I can't be effective if people start thinking I'm soft."
    "Well, I for one know you're really rather soft... that explosion wasn't even close to full strength." He returned the smirk. "But yes, you do have an image to maintain... I do too, sort of. Too bad we know each others secrets."