Default What Did You Read - October 2012

Alan Moore: Wild Worlds - The Majestic and Wildcats stories were great. Spawn/Wildcats and Voodo weren't. Deathblow (which is the only one that is new to me) was pretty good. It reminded me a bit of the old Barry Windsor Smith Weapon X story.

Gloomcookie v2 and v3 - I read and enjoyed volume 1 years ago, but never got around to volume 2 because I dislike the art. Finally reading these (with some help from Wikipedia to remind me who's who) it's still enjoyable. It's nice to read an unashamedly Goth book that isn't hampered by the kind of terrible poetry which made The Crow so awful.

Unknown Soldier v1: Haunted House - I thought Dysart's work on Dark Messiahs and Swamp Thing was terrible so it was a pleasant surprise to find this book to be very good. The art is excellent too. I'm definitely on board for the rest of the TPBs.

Incognito v2: Bad Influences - I think this was a light improvement on the first volume. Good stuff - even though I don't completely buy the ending.

I'm glad that I'm all caught up on ever single issue I've got! I'll be hitting the LCS today after work and then I'll get a DCBS box on Friday but I've had some time to at least start some collections. I'm most of the way through BULLETPROOF COFFIN: DISINTERRED and man it's weird. Fun and the art is really cool but it's weird. Not quite a linear story, not all that meat as the last volume, but still fun.

I've also got a Bomb Queen vol in my bag that I've got to catch up on and the 1st new GL Corps HC to start up.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I absolutely loved the first volume of Bulletproof Coffin. Disinterred is SO going on my Christmas list.

I finished it yesterday. VERY COOL. Odd... but cool!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Shooting War - This is an enjoyable story satirising the war in Iraq and the media's coverage of it. The art annoyed me though. I like the basic style, but the artist seemed not quite up to the job - and a bit lazy at times.

Seeds - An autobiographical book about the author's father dying. It was okay, but didn't blow me away.

Queen & Country v6: Operation Dandelion - Another decent volume. It didn't have any of the tension that some volumes have. I think this book really suffers from having such short trades.

I need to get the last few issues of Queen & Country because they were never collected. I think there's a secondary Q&C book that I haven't gotten yet too... although I did move on to STUMPTOWN - but I think there's only a HC for that. However, I loved that too!

Started a BOMB QUEEN tpb. I think I'll finish it this week...
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

As far as I know there 32 issues of Queen & Country - and all of those have been collected. (I just started the final TPB this morning)

Queen & Country v7: Operation Saddlebags - Good stuff. It's nice to have operations bungled as well as successful.

Queen & Country v8: Operation Red Panda
    - It's a little bit annoying to find so much has happened between the last trade and this in a prose novel that I haven't read. Over all though this volume was good. The art felt like a cross between Peter Snejbjerg and Steve Epting - but not quite as good as either.

Queen & Country Declassified v2
    -Another decent volume - but another one that suffered from being too short.

Queen & Country Declassified v3: Sons and Daughters
    - Anthony Johnston kept up the standard well here. I wasn't fond of the art though.

Ultimate Avengers v1: The Next Generation
    - I have no idea why people are rude about this book. Okay it's not as good as The Ultimates, but it's still a big stupid but really well choreographed and beautifully drawn fight scene that showed Captain America in a really good way. I thoroughly enjoyed it.