Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Invincible Iron Man #527

END OF AN ERA!
    • Who lives? Who dies? Who wins? Who loses?
    • More importantly: what's next for Tony Stark and Iron Man? You won't believe it until you read it!

Full preview here.

Maybe a writer who can do a 2-3 issue storyline and have things actually happen? I can dream.

You're in luck. Gillen is right around the corner.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

i remember seriously considering getting into fraction's run after i got the first issue for free as a promo giveaway and i thought it was decent. based upon the majority of everyone else's reactions since, and all of the previews i've seen, i'm glad i saved my money.
    and i'm counting 1, counting 2, counting 3...

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Fraction had some good ideas, but his pacing was a serious problem. If you read it in storyline-sized chunks instead of monthly, I think it holds up.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Fraction had some good ideas, but his pacing was a serious problem. If you read it in storyline-sized chunks instead of monthly, I think it holds up.
    I think that's a fair assessment.

Dude was clearly writing for trades.

I mean the man was averaging 10 issues per arc.

Ooops double post.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 10-02-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    One of the few problems I had with his run was honestly his pacing. This and his Thor were fairly decent reads with his Defenders being the high water mark for him creatively, and I even enjoyed his Fear Itself. *ducks*
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    You're in luck. Gillen is right around the corner.
    That's right! I love Gillen. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    One of the few problems I had with his run was honestly his pacing. This and his Thor were fairly decent reads with his Defenders being the high water mark for him creatively, and I even enjoyed his Fear Itself. *ducks*
    I've posted it before, but his storyline with Osborn hunting down Stark was amazing. I never felt like it was stretched out....every situation felt like it came from the plot and the characters and not because it "had to happen." Storylines since then, not so much.

^^Agree with above poster. I have no idea where all these detractors are coming from. For my money Matt Fraction's run on Iron Man has been golden from beginning to end. I personally feel he was the best Iron Man writer period. Only Warren Ellis came close to his brilliance. And for people complaining about long story arcs and him writing for trades...maybe you should develop the attention span of an adult. I'm used to reading novels. Nothing is more annoying to me than artificial cliffhangers created for the sole purpose of keeping a reader interested month to month. Fraction wrote stories organically and naturally...I'm glad he didn't pander to the 23 page story crowd.

He will be missed.

Agree with you, Sandinista. Matt Fraction delivered what I felt were the best Iron Man stories ever, a realization of the concept beyond almost all previous writers. And while Warren Ellis probably could've done a story as good or better, he didn't stay long enough to flesh anything out. Fraction took the ideas in Extremis and actually ran with them.

I will say this as well...although later storylines disappointed me, Defenders was actually growing on me. It's too bad that it wasn't given a chance to find an audience.

I would love to see Fraction's take on Nighthawk....