Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Writing/Pitching Comics Tutorials

Hey gang,

My name's Jim Zub. I'm the writer/creator of Image Comic's Skullkickers and writer on Dynamite's Pathfinder comic series. Over on my blog I've put together a series of tutorials discussing methods for writing and pitching comic stories and I thought you guys and gals might find them useful.

How to Break into Comics

Comic Writing
    Part 1: Brainstorming
    Part 2: Story Pacing
    Part 3: Page Planning
    Part 4: Scripting
    Part 5: Dialogue

Comic Pitching
    Part 1: The Difficulty of Pitching
    Part 2: Summarizing Your Ideas
    Part 3: Sections of a Pitch
    Part 4: Pitching Do's and Don'ts

If you found these posts helpful, feel free to let me know here (or on Twitter), share it with your friends and consider buying some of my comics to show support for me teaching you how to steal my job. ;P

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
    Zub
    Last edited by Zub; 10-26-2012 at 05:41 AM.

Thanks.

I'll check out your comics. Dynamite is probably one of the better comic companies at the moment.

A.Glass

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chaos-Synd.../dp/B008R5BEQE
    Last edited by A.Glass; 10-02-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Good stuff, sir. Thank you muchly.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

That was quite informative, especially the pitching segment. The Do/Don't section was very concise.

So when you say that it's good to lead a pitch with the art, do you mean cover letter/art samples/pitch, basically, or just mixed throughout?
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

As I covered in the blog posts, there's no 'absolute' way of doing it. If the pitch grabs the editor's attention and leaves a strong positive impression, then it works.

I personally think that the first thing an editor should see is art - a cover, pin-up or title page to grab their interest, then the 1 page summary, then more art, then more info/samples if required.

Thanks for replying! I already do quite a bit of the process stuff the same as you do, particularly planning and page breakdowns, though the part on page-turns is really useful, as is the whole pitching segment. Very awesome of you to put all this up here!
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

thanks man, this is gonna be a great way to spend time at work.

In previous tutorial posts I've talked about my comic writing methods and helpful tips on pitching original stories to comic publishers. This time I'm going to talk about a subject every creator-owned comic writer has wracked their brains over:
    How do I find a good artist to work with?

Click through to read the full article on my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Zub View Post
    In previous tutorial posts I've talked about my comic writing methods and helpful tips on pitching original stories to comic publishers. This time I'm going to talk about a subject every creator-owned comic writer has wracked their brains over:
    How do I find a good artist to work with?

Click through to read the full article on my blog.
    Huge.

Thanks man.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Thanks Jim!

Love any insight regarding this, so am looking forward to reading what you have to share. (and Hulkernaut... yes... that exactly).
    scmartel.deviantart.com

I was thrilled to be a guest on the award-winning Writing Excuses podcast hosted by Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn, The Wheel of Time), Mary Robinette Kowal (Shades of Milk and Honey) and Howard Tayler (Schlock Mercenary).

In 15 minutes we sweep through a brisk chat all about comic writing technique, differences from prose, working with artists and breaking into the comic business.

Please give it a listen and share the link with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zub View Post
    I was thrilled to be a guest on the award-winning Writing Excuses podcast hosted by Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn, The Wheel of Time), Mary Robinette Kowal (Shades of Milk and Honey) and Howard Tayler (Schlock Mercenary).

In 15 minutes we sweep through a brisk chat all about comic writing technique, differences from prose, working with artists and breaking into the comic business.

Please give it a listen and share the link with others.
    bong. Will do.

Question and Answers on my blog about conventions, page rates and distribution:
    Comic Q&A

Excellent, Excellent info, Zub. The pitch formatting by itself is gold.

I think you get it built up in your mind that the pitch has to made of gold encased in a ruby-encrusted container and light and sound comes out of it when the editor opens it up...

But really it's much simpler than that. Thanks, man. this will be tweeted and shared until the cows come home. And probably a little after that, too, but they get upset when I spend too much time, online.

Happy New Year! I hope you're looking forward to a creative and productive 2013.

Over on my blog I answer the common would-be writer's question: "Why Don't Publishers Give Brand New Writers A Chance?"

Click on through to give it a read.