Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Oct 1, 2012

Tim looks back on a few prominent movie adaptations from the height of 'Heavy Metal' magazine and finds a lot to love in the new reprinting of Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson's "Alien: The Illustrated Story."

Full article here.

Hi Tim!

I thumbed through the Alien: Illustrated at the bookstore the other day. Brilliant stuff. Agree about Ripley as protagonist too.
    I also have a big spot in my heart for the 1941 adaptation! I remember it being bizarre & very cartoony yet I think 1941 to be one of Spielberg's Best Movies. From lampooning his own Jaws opening, to Belushi actually falling off the wing of his plane and the huge dance scene. It's a dumb movie and I love it yet...
    I remember the comic adaptation, reading this as a kid mind you in the South Boston Public Library this oversized and kinda lewd cartoon. I like how Treat Williams character was really exaggerated in the comics, worked like a charm. But as I said, I'm sweet on the silly flick. I'd love to hunt those ones down. I'd buy them off you if they're fated to your shelf! Huzzah! :)

Cheers!
    Eric

"He who knows best knows how little he knows" -Thomas Jefferson

Hi Tim

Sorry to say that I have to disagree about the Alien book. While I havent read it since the mid '80s when I initially found it, I do remember being distinctly let down. I found Simonsons art beautiful as always, but felt the story/script to be very flat, having no tension at all. It stuck out to me, who at the time read every piece of drek he could lay his sweaty little hands on, as largely disappointing, but to be fair that may well also be because I am a huge fan of the movie.
    kalorama :Take your reason and logic and begone! We don't cotton to your like 'round here!

I remember hearing Walt saying that they actually ran out of space toward the end of the story which is why the last couple of pages suddenly become cramped with tons of panels.

Also, I have an Italian collected version of Steranko's Outland and the stuff he was trying in there was pretty amazing. It may not have always worked but it was still a beautiful attempt. I have to disagree about it being lifeless; having never seen the movie, and not being able to read Italian, the images alone drew me in and told me most of the story.

Funny thing about the Outland book I have, I talked to Steranko at a con once and mentioned the book. He didn't know of the Italian version. I brought in the next day, he thumbed through it a bit then signed it for me.