Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Kind of interesting to see the TV show finally mirroring the books in the Dexter / Debra relationship. There she has a very uneasy acceptance of what he does which seems to be where Debra is heading here. It just took seven seasons to get there whereas in the books it was at the end of the first.

Quote Originally Posted by the_coldest_sun View Post
    Hell, now I really wouldn't mind Doakes coming back from the dead. He was awesome.
    One of the best Angry Black Men in television history.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I was pretty sure Louis wasn't going to survive this season, but that wasn't the way I expected him to go. I was expecting him and Dexter to keep escalating things between them. But there ya go.
    The Louis sub-plot was my favorite aspect of the current season. What happened was amusingly unexpected, but disappointing.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

I didn't hate last season as much as everybody else in the world seems to, but it definitely was the weakest season so far. They've really come back to form this season, though.
    my problem was that i picked up on the nature of Gellar almost immediately. and this season seemed to lack the cat and mouse nature of some of the other ones. Dexter didn't seem at all focused on catching the guy. and he had lost all of the back and forth with Harry. i had hopes when he tracked down the Trinity Killer's kid but...eh.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Cross Is God View Post
    One of the best Angry Black Men in television history.
    i'm having trouble thinking of competition for this title. Charles S Dutton? Samuel L Jackson (if we're talking movies). i guess Andre Braugher was perpetually salty but something less than angry. Mister T? Uncle Phil?

i definately see Doakes as one of the better tv 'ahabs.' he was on to Dexter before the latter had shown any signs of slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    my problem was that i picked up on the nature of Gellar almost immediately.
    See, I didn't pick up on that at all, until it was pointed out to me right near the end.

i had hopes when he tracked down the Trinity Killer's kid but...eh.
    Yeah, that was a bit anti-climactic.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

i'm having trouble thinking of competition for this title. Charles S Dutton? Samuel L Jackson (if we're talking movies). i guess Andre Braugher was perpetually salty but something less than angry. Mister T? Uncle Phil?

i definately see Doakes as one of the better tv 'ahabs.' he was on to Dexter before the latter had shown any signs of slipping.

Another solid ABM was John Amos in Good Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Cross Is God View Post
    Another solid ABM was John Amos in Good Times.
    Uncle Phil.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

I never liked Doakes.

Doakes probably wouldn't have liked me very much either, so there you go.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

I'm loving this season so far- It would be hard to believe one year ago that this show would be one of the best on TV again.

my problem was that i picked up on the nature of Gellar almost immediately
    Same here.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

I'm dissappointed with this year. The big bad isn't appealing, this Randall story has nothing (yet) and the dexter deb stuff while good is just going to be the same for a while. The one good thing was Lewis and now it appears that entire story was fake or something. I hope there's still something left in it but I'm not hopeful. Even though veryone hated last season I loved it because there were good stories going on and a good big bad and a few good characters.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

That final scene with Dexter and Debra was amazing.

I couldn't care less about the Russian mob storyline but its more than made up for by the Dex / Deb stuff.

I liked Doakes because he was a good enough detective to realize Dexter was a pyscho, unlike every other cop he spends his time with on a day to day basis.
    And i found him to be hilarious with how angry he always was at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I liked Doakes because he was a good enough detective to realize Dexter was a pyscho, unlike every other cop he spends his time with on a day to day basis.
    And i found him to be hilarious with how angry he always was at him.
    iirc, the implication was that Doakes was enough of a sociopath to recognize one of his own.

iirc, the implication was that Doakes was enough of a sociopath to recognize one of his own.
    That's not the way I read it at all.

That's not the way I read it at all.
    "James Doakes is a sergeant serving as lead case investigator to Miami Metro PD's Homicide. Doakes had killer impulses which drove him to divorce his wife, confessing that if he had stayed with her any longer, he would have killed her."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Doakes#James_Doakes

"Doakes enlisted in the U.S. Army and went on to become an Army Ranger, serving with the elite Regimental Reconnaissance Detachment.[1] After spending many years in black operations, Doakes gave up his military career, electing instead to use his skills to help innocent civilians. Doakes's police career grinds to a halt when he receives excessive force citations and proves he cannot work well with others (unless leading them)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Doakes

In the novels, Doakes' first name is "Albert", and he served in El Salvador with the U.S. Marine Corps alongside Kyle Chutsky and "Dr. Danco". Dexter believes that Doakes has a "Dark Passenger" of his own, and deals with it by being as violent as he legally can in his job. After LaGuerta's murder at the end of Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Doakes believes Dexter was the killer, and tails Dexter in Dearly Devoted Dexter, intending to "catch him in the act". Instead, Doakes himself is captured by "Dr. Danco", who tortures him by removing his feet, hands, and tongue. In Dexter in the Dark, Doakes returns briefly, but cannot communicate (Erik King, who plays Doakes in the TV series, has joked in an interview that in the second book, his character becomes "a stub"
    Last edited by Monty_Cristo; 10-22-2012 at 04:02 PM.