Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Default Dexter -- Seasn Seven

Just watched the premiere and wowzers. You thought the season six cliffhanger was huge, its nothing next to the cliffhanger at the end of episode one. The non Debra storyline doesn't interest me in the slightest but the Debra storyline was fantastic.

Onward with the summary:

spoilers:

Episode starts with a what turns out to be a red herring flash forward. Dexter is driving to the airport but is running low on gas. All his credit cards get declined so he pulls some cash out of what is obviously a getaway bag as it has cash, passports plural, clothes, etc. Makes it looks like he is on the run. Obviously meant to look like Dexter is fleeing the country. Initially I though it might be a flash forward to the end of season VII but no it gets resolved this episode.

Back to now and it picks up right from the end of season six. Basically can be summarized as follows: Debra "What the **** Dex." Dexter: "uhhhhhhh". Debra: "Holy ****, what the **** Dex." Dexter: "uhhhhhh, I snapped." Lots more f bombs from Debra. Dexter eventually convinces her that he snapped because Travis took Harrison and so Dexter killed him. Dexter eventually convinces Debra to help him make it look like Travis committed suicide with a sword while setting the church on fire.

The Miami Metro PD responds to the fire scene and all falls in line with the arson / suicide plot except Dexter accidentally dropped his blood slide and La Guerta finds it.

Creepy guy from last season who interned with Masuka is in Dexter's apartment because he's still banging the babysitter. He was on Dexter's computer and later is seen cancelling all of Dexter's credit cards for reasons unclear other than it explains all Dexter's credit cards not working in the opening scene.

Mike comes upon a stranded motorist with a flat tire. Hey its Victor from Dollhouse and oddly enough his name is Victor here too. Mike goes to help even though Victor wants no help. Mike opens the trunk, sees a dead woman, and Victor then shoots and kills Mike. Yep they went there, they killed the black guy.

Investigation into Mike's murder starts. The girl in the trunk was a stripper. Dexter of course finds the only fingerprint and tracks Victor to the airport where he is fleeing the country. Dexter had put his getaway bag in the trunk of his car because he still wasn't sure of Debra (more on her in a bit) which leads to Dexter going after Victor at the airport and thus explaining the whole red herring opening scene. Dexter finds Victor in the airport, follows Victor to an empty bathroom (hey show writers I can only suspend my disbelief so much because have you ever been in an airport bathroom?), and finds a convenient room to kill Victor in. He then manages to take Victor out of the airport. Miami Metro obviously has the worst security in the country. Meanwhile the owner of the strip club the stripper works out calls some likely mobster types in Russia telling them that Victor is on his way back. This must be the season long non Debra storyline.

La Guerta talks to Masuka about blood slides and whether they are collected at crime scenes. Masuka mentions that the only cop whoever made a habit of collecting blood slides was Sgt Doakes, the Bay Harbor Butcher. Except La Guerta never believed he was the Bay Harbor Butcher.

Anyway, on to Debra. Her story is intermixed throughout this episode but its easier to tell it in one piece. She is a basket case over Dexter. She realizes that Travis was strapped down just like she was by Brian, the Ice Truck Killer, back in season one. She looks up his case and sees the parallels. There are also flashbacks to Dexter and Debra as children where Debra's mom gets her a dog but Harry makes them get rid of it for fear of what Dexter will do. Kid Dexter starts to tell Debra why the dog had to go but Harry stops him admonishing him to never tell Debra. Adult Debra talks to hot babysitter (I can't remember her name) who tells Debra that Dexter is often out late at night working "cases." Debra begins to realize that everything Dexter told her was complete **** as far as Travis and pretty much destroys his apartment. She finds his knives and his blood slides. The episode ends with Dexter walking in and Debra waiting for him. She confronts him and he admits that he killed all the people on the slides and that he is a serial killer. Roll credits.

Previews of the upcoming season show that Debra is going to take on the Harry role in trying to control Dexter and that they are going to shack up together, platonically lets hope. Seven seasons and they've finally got up to book two on this storyline.

And if you read this before my edit I had a brain fart and was calling Victor by Mike on accident.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Chiasm; 09-30-2012 at 10:34 PM.

An hour long episode to set up the cliffhanger that we had at the end of the last season.
    Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    An hour long episode to set up the cliffhanger that we had at the end of the last season.
    Yay.
    You didn't expect the Debra learns his secret storyline to be resolved in one episode did you? This is easily worth a whole season or two of stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    You didn't expect the Debra learns his secret storyline to be resolved in one episode did you? This is easily worth a whole season or two of stories.
    She learned it at the end of the episode, she also learned he was a killer at the start of the episode.
    Everything everyone expected this season to be about was teased at the end of this episode, so we got the exact same tease last night as we got at the end of the last season.

I've been down on this show for entirely different reasons than everyone else.(well, not everyone else, but a lot of people)
    Yes, miami seems to have the highest rate and most frequent appearance of serial killers of any place in history.
    Yes, his dectective sister should had realized there was something off about him before now.
    That's all small stuff. I just plan don't care about the character anymore because he never changes, and that's the point, but it's gotten to be an incredibly dull point. When he was on about having to kill so he could focus all i could think is "God, you are an idiot."
    Now, im not going to shit on this season, because they are doing the one story they have left, and it might end up interesting. But as first episodes go, i was more intrigued by the trailer for whats coming than anything in the episode itself.

I'm sitting on the fence with Dexter at the minute as I think it may have reached it's apex during the Lithgow season, which was stellar in my opinion.

As mentioned, this may be the last real story they have to tell that I'm really interested in. I enjoyed last season, but mostly down to the acting of last years Big Bad(s?).

She learned it at the end of the episode, she also learned he was a killer at the start of the episode.
    Everything everyone expected this season to be about was teased at the end of this episode, so we got the exact same tease last night as we got at the end of the last season.
    Well, no. End of last season, she saw him kill a person. Now she's found out that he's killed lots and lots of people.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Well, no. End of last season, she saw him kill a person. Now she's found out that he's killed lots and lots of people.
    Yes, there's a massive difference between finding out your brother has killed one person, and that one a serial killer, and that he's a serial killer himself. I'm surprised she found in the first episode, I thought they would drag this for a little longer.

I really liked this episode- after a season that was a complete trainwreck, I'm interested in Dexter again.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I'm surprised she found in the first episode, I thought they would drag this for a little longer.
    Yeah, given their history of dragging things out, I was expecting the same. All throughout that last scene, I kept waiting for Dexter to wake from his dream.

But no. It's on, motherf*cker.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Sorry, they changed the number of people.
    The other postive is it allows them to drop the deb wants to sleep with her brother storyline.

I kind of wish Rita was still alive so we could see her dealing with Dexter's outing as well because no matter how troubled it makes Debra it would be infinitely worse for Rita.

Oh God no. She'd just be anguishing all over the place and making him go back to couples therapy and crap.

The other postive is it allows them to drop the deb wants to sleep with her brother storyline.
    This is a great storyline. So it's a negative. Makes her just as damaged and crazy as Dexter is. Can't throw stones at your serial killer brother if you secretly want to shag him.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    I kind of wish Rita was still alive so we could see her dealing with Dexter's outing as well because no matter how troubled it makes Debra it would be infinitely worse for Rita.
    i'd rather have Doakes (maybe just his animated head) return for a reaction; like at a press conference.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Franklin View Post
    This is a great storyline. So it's a negative. Makes her just as damaged and crazy as Dexter is. Can't throw stones at your serial killer brother if you secretly want to shag him.
    ...That doesn't work!
    I want to sleep with my (not biological) brother i grew up with is kinda fucked, but it's not even illegal.
    Murdering like 50 people in ritualistic fashion is definetly much worse than that.
    If she was his blood sister it would still be not as bad as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    i'd rather have Doakes (maybe just his animated head) return for a reaction; like at a press conference.
    According to Wikipedia, the last episode is titled 'Surprise, Motherfucker!' So you never know.