Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Condom View Post
    Weird points, some of those BR kids actually try to fight back the system. By trying to hack the net, by refusing to participate, by elaborating a plan to escape...whatever, but many were quite rebellious.

Concerning Katniss selflessness, well, the only two times i think she really act like it was of course when she volunteered (nothing to say here, that was indeed selfless) and during the second book but then it really was more because of how desperate she was feeling than really anything else. (spoiler : "when she decides that she will do anything for Peeta to survive the new games, even sacrificing herself")
    Maybe I don't think she's as selfless as I thought she was
    Last edited by Wild_Child; 01-15-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Maybe I don't think she's as selfless as I thought she was
    Oh, she is such a survivor. That's what she's all about. Pretty much everything she does is about her own survival. (expect for couple of times as someone mentioned earlier) I'm not really a big fan of Gale, kinda find this character pointless, but in the last book during a talk with Peeta about who she prefers he says something so freaking true about her : "Katniss will pick whoever she thinks she can't survive without"

On the nose.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

how about no more hunger games?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    Gee willikers

Why do you dislike the hunger games?
    Last edited by Wild_Child; 01-15-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    Well, i'm afraid that you're going to be sourly disappointed.

At least 2 more movies are on the way. At the very least, i wouldn't be surprised to hear they make 2 movies to cover the last book.

Is it really needed since there is already actual novels and a movie?
    Like...a comic is words and pictures. A movie is speaking words and moving pictures.
    This is like going forward 2 steps and then taking one step back, i'm not sure what you gain by doing a comic.

Animation & Illustration

If you treat a comic like storyboards, you're right... there's nothing to gain.

But that's because you're making bad comics. When done well, comics have several advantages over film, not the least being the ability to address longer and more intricate aspects of the storyline, as well as significantly reducing production costs, while still providing visual stimulation to the reader.

Beyond that, comics and movies are different on a fundamental level... movies are largely passive entertainment; you sit and watch, and the story is fed into your senses at a pace and direction almost entirely dictated by the director and production team.

In comics, you're looking at interactive entertainment. It seems passive, but it's not! As with reading in general, but especially reading dialgoe, the words are meant to be heard inside the reader's head. The way those words sound, the exact delivery and timing of the phrases and the various subtle nuances of performance, these are something personal and unique that you create when you interpret the words and images on the page. Beyond that, the passage of time in general is something that the comics creator directs, but the comics reader fulfills. It's up to the reader to fill into the action between the panels, or establish in their own minds how long an action holds.

This is why comics as a storytelling form isn't dying (despite the handwringing over publishers and their woes in the direct market), because so long as it does something unique in storytelling, so long as it effectively fills that gap between the wholly internalized consumption of prose and the largely force-fed consumption of theater and film, it has a place of its own and it represents value.

That's why a comics adaptation of this series, or for that matter many other series, is still worth doing. It's a media for consumption on its own merits, not just a poor-man's alternative to movies. If you produce work on that basis, you'll end up with shit work, as we've seen happen many times before... not because the media is at fault, but because you started from a position where you failed to understand why comics are different from movies and novels.
    Last edited by Inkthinker; 01-16-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Inkthinker View Post
    If you treat a comic like storyboards, you're right... there's nothing to gain.

But that's because you're making bad comics. When done well, comics have several advantages over film, not the least being the ability to address longer and more intricate aspects of the storyline, as well as significantly reducing production costs, while still providing visual stimulation to the reader.

Beyond that, comics and movies are different on a fundamental level... movies are largely passive entertainment; you sit and watch, and the story is fed into your senses at a pace and direction almost entirely dictated by the director and production team.

In comics, you're looking at interactive entertainment. It seems passive, but it's not! As with reading in general, but especially reading dialgoe, the words are meant to be heard inside the reader's head. The way those words sound, the exact delivery and timing of the phrases and the various subtle nuances of performance, these are something personal and unique that you create when you interpret the words and images on the page. Beyond that, the passage of time in general is something that the comics creator directs, but the comics reader fulfills. It's up to the reader to fill into the action between the panels, or establish in their own minds how long an action holds.

This is why comics as a storytelling form isn't dying (despite the handwringing over publishers and their woes in the direct market), because so long as it does something unique in storytelling, so long as it effectively fills that gap between the wholly internalized consumption of prose and the largely force-fed consumption of theater and film, it has a place of its own and it represents value.

That's why a comics adaptation of this series, or for that matter many other series, is still worth doing. It's a media for consumption on its own merits, not just a poor-man's alternative to movies. If you produce work on that basis, you'll end up with shit work, as we've seen happen many times before... not because the media is at fault, but because you started from a position where you failed to understand why comics are different from movies and novels.
    thanks for doing an essay just to disprove a comment =p
    Last edited by Wild_Child; 01-16-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Animation & Illustration

Oh sure, anytime.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

How did you guys imagine Katniss?In the book,she is said to be short,olive skin,grey eyes,black hair.

-I thought she was 5'2.
    -Some scars on her face from hunting
    -starved but better off than most kids because of access to the animals
    -muscular,not large but medium built
    -average looking

"I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun." -Katniss

"Hunger Games is the best romance story of the year!"

Is that your opinion or some crazy teen award the movie or the book have won ?

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    Is that your opinion or some crazy teen award the movie or the book have won ?
    I was just quoting what I heard while watching The Hunger Games.