Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42
  1. #31
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    62

    Default

    So wait Dick gets adopted trained and becomes nightwing in two years? I get that that is fast but if Dick was a kid when he was taken in how is he a adult as nightwing when it is only 2 years later?

  2. #32
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    He was never adopted. Bruce just gave him a job when he was 16.

    That's his timeline. He is orphaned at 16, Bruce gives him a job. He becomes Robin, then at 18 becomes Nightwing, which is about three-four years ago(Death of the Family jumped the timeline forward a year). Now he's about 22.

  3. #33
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    The great thing about the timeline is that they expect you to ignore it. It's more of an editorial benchmark and something for new readers to reference.

    There's really nothing in the current stories that are adhering to this shorter timeline. Everyone is still carrying on as they did before the reboot, with their years of experience and historical references.

    Batman has taken a hit in every reboot/Crisis event because his timeline gets tinkered with, but in the end, it only serves to facelift his history for the newer time period. He always survives and the little things change.

    Nothing is different but the visual cues, and he's always evolved with the times.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    The great thing about the timeline is that they expect you to ignore it. It's more of an editorial benchmark and something for new readers to reference.

    There's really nothing in the current stories that are adhering to this shorter timeline. Everyone is still carrying on as they did before the reboot, with their years of experience and historical references.

    Batman has taken a hit in every reboot/Crisis event because his timeline gets tinkered with, but in the end, it only serves to facelift his history for the newer time period. He always survives and the little things change.

    Nothing is different but the visual cues, and he's always evolved with the times.
    In a recent podcast, Snyder did state that this is pretty much his attitude towards the timeline changes. According to him, all past Batman stories still 'happened' somehow...its the other writers (he specifically mentioned Lobdell on Red Hood and Titans) who are significantly altering their characters, which in turn, affects Batman continuity as a whole. Snyder also pretty much admitted that there really isn't any explanation (at least any that HE'S aware of) for Damian's age...

    Honestly, I think DC IS becoming a bit vague about the timeline thing, at least as far as the bat-books go...but again, its lick each writer picking and choosing his/her preferred timeline. 'Batman' states its a shorter timeline, but implies a longer history. 'B & R' and 'Inc' pretty much suggest a longer history. 'Batgirl', 'Red Hood' and 'Teen Titans' pretty much adhere to the shorter timeline. So this can really go any way.

    The timeline IS important to some extent as far as character development goes. Bruce and Dick's relationship is significantly altered if they've only known each for 5 years, as opposed to 10-12 years. Things like Jason's death and resurrection lose impact if they happened within a span of only a year or so as opposed to 4-5 years as it was originally.

  5. #35
    Junior Member Fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    148

    Default

    I don't like that they squeezed so many Robins into such a small period of time, but ah well. I enjoy the reboot in general so I'll suck it up. Thanks for typing that up!
    "A severed foot is the perfect stocking stuffer."

  6. #36
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    The only aspect of the Robin thing I like over the old universe is that they were at least driving age before Bruce suited them up. Damian excluded, because he's a rabid monkey that kill everyone.

    In 2012/2013, it makes way less sense to bring a 10 year old kid out there in leotards to fight serial killers. The villains he fights now are a lot different and a lot worse. So for Dick to already be 16 as Robin, it seems less like Bruce is a nut raising child soldier in a big mansion.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    The only aspect of the Robin thing I like over the old universe is that they were at least driving age before Bruce suited them up. Damian excluded, because he's a rabid monkey that kill everyone.

    In 2012/2013, it makes way less sense to bring a 10 year old kid out there in leotards to fight serial killers. The villains he fights now are a lot different and a lot worse. So for Dick to already be 16 as Robin, it seems less like Bruce is a nut raising child soldier in a big mansion.
    True...but if you want to retain the aspect of Dick having literally grown up in his role as Robin, I think its pretty much necessary to have him start at 10-12.

    Personally, I prefer him to be 15-16 when he starts and I hope that's the age he is in, say, a future film.

  8. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Just something else I'd like to point out with this past year's developments:

    If Dick was Robin in Year 2 and 3, Jason in first half of 4, Tim in second half of 4 and first half of 5, Damian for the second half of five then...that means that, when Damian died, they'd known him for maybe two years. The war between Talia and Bruce only lasted about two years. Morrison's run was about four-six months. Jason was dead for like...seven months. Barabara became Batgirl in...Year 3? Meaning she got crippled in Year 3. Why did she even keep on keeping on? But she was oracle for another two years until she got her legs back? Or was she Batgirl from 3-4, get crippled at the start of 5 and get her legs back after a year? When did No Man's Land happen? It took them a year to rebuild Gotham. Tim was Robin. So from July-ish Year 4 to June-ish Year 5 was No Man's Land. The entire time Tim was (Maybe) Batman's sidekick. But then when did Knightfall happen? I'm assuming that Joker shows up in Year 2 yet he has stilled committed dozens of crimes in the past four years, meaning that he has escaped from Arkham at least 20 times in 4 years, and taken it over at least once. Not to mention others like Scarecrow and Mr. Freeze. Assuming Knightfall took place over the course of a week, Arkham was blown up and rebuilt in like five days. No wonder Bruce was worn out. There is no way to you actually do this timeline. It is impossible.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mezzaro View Post
    Just something else I'd like to point out with this past year's developments:

    If Dick was Robin in Year 2 and 3, Jason in first half of 4, Tim in second half of 4 and first half of 5, Damian for the second half of five then...that means that, when Damian died, they'd known him for maybe two years. The war between Talia and Bruce only lasted about two years. Morrison's run was about four-six months. Jason was dead for like...seven months. Barabara became Batgirl in...Year 3? Meaning she got crippled in Year 3. Why did she even keep on keeping on? But she was oracle for another two years until she got her legs back? Or was she Batgirl from 3-4, get crippled at the start of 5 and get her legs back after a year? When did No Man's Land happen? It took them a year to rebuild Gotham. Tim was Robin. So from July-ish Year 4 to June-ish Year 5 was No Man's Land. The entire time Tim was (Maybe) Batman's sidekick. But then when did Knightfall happen? I'm assuming that Joker shows up in Year 2 yet he has stilled committed dozens of crimes in the past four years, meaning that he has escaped from Arkham at least 20 times in 4 years, and taken it over at least once. Not to mention others like Scarecrow and Mr. Freeze. Assuming Knightfall took place over the course of a week, Arkham was blown up and rebuilt in like five days. No wonder Bruce was worn out. There is no way to you actually do this timeline. It is impossible.
    Well it helps that apart from a few 'major' events, most of Batman's past continuity seems to have been erased. There's no way No Man's Land happened (though something LIKE NML seems to be on the cards as far as Zero Year is concerned).

    As far as the Robin's go, this is how I see the timeline (assuming that Bruce became Batman a little over six years ago, and is currently well into Year 7)-

    Dick became Robin in Year 2, and was Robin until Year 4. Jason became Robin in Year 4 and died some time later in that year. Tim became Red Robin late in Year 4 and was Batman's sidekick till early in Year 6. Damian was then Robin for over a year until he died in Year 7.

    In terms of when each Bat-family member roughly debuted, this is how I feel it breaks down-

    Bruce: 6 years ago
    Dick: 5 years ago
    Barbara: 4 years ago
    Jason: 3 years ago
    Tim: 2 years ago
    Damian: 1 year ago

    So it seems that every year, someone new joined the family...

  10. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Well it helps that apart from a few 'major' events, most of Batman's past continuity seems to have been erased. There's no way No Man's Land happened (though something LIKE NML seems to be on the cards as far as Zero Year is concerned).

    As far as the Robin's go, this is how I see the timeline (assuming that Bruce became Batman a little over six years ago, and is currently well into Year 7)-

    Dick became Robin in Year 2, and was Robin until Year 4. Jason became Robin in Year 4 and died some time later in that year. Tim became Red Robin late in Year 4 and was Batman's sidekick till early in Year 6. Damian was then Robin for over a year until he died in Year 7.

    In terms of when each Bat-family member roughly debuted, this is how I feel it breaks down-

    Bruce: 6 years ago
    Dick: 5 years ago
    Barbara: 4 years ago
    Jason: 3 years ago
    Tim: 2 years ago
    Damian: 1 year ago

    So it seems that every year, someone new joined the family...
    That makes sense, but I dislike it. Mainly because that means if Damian was Robin from like March year 6-February Year 7, that means Dick was Batman for like five months and within five years Bruce has been the reason two of his sidekicks have died, why would he make more?

  11. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mezzaro View Post
    That makes sense, but I dislike it. Mainly because that means if Damian was Robin from like March year 6-February Year 7, that means Dick was Batman for like five months and within five years Bruce has been the reason two of his sidekicks have died, why would he make more?
    Well, as far as the sidekicks dying thing goes, its not like Bruce losing two sidekicks in a span of ten years necessarily makes it any better...

  12. #42
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mezzaro View Post
    That makes sense, but I dislike it. Mainly because that means if Damian was Robin from like March year 6-February Year 7, that means Dick was Batman for like five months and within five years Bruce has been the reason two of his sidekicks have died, why would he make more?
    Dick wore the suit for about a year. He and Bruce were co-Batmans for about six months during the first half of Batman INC. Bruce was only gone three months when 'lost in time'.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •