Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Saying Goodbye To "The Boys" with Garth Ennis, Part 2

Garth Ennis returns to look at some of the more heartfelt and shocking aspects of The Boys," including life with Annie January, the impact of 9/11, the contributions of artists like Darick Robertson and Russ Braun and more.

Full article here.

You know, I'm going to wish Garth Ennis the best of luck in his new projects.

...Because I never want to hear of him touching on Superheroes again. Ever.

I don't hate the guy, I can see why he has his fans and such, but here's the thing.. If you don't like Superheroes as a concept, then don't try to write Superhero stories. That's why I can't stand any of Ennis' Superhero-related titles, with perhaps Hitman as an exception. There's parodying a genre, and then there's mocking it with vile hatred, and that's what I get from reading Ennis' super-stories. The Boys was just the most glaring example of Ennis basically telling everyone "This is why Superhero titles are $#!+" that I've ever seen, and I just can't get into anything so mean-spirited.

So yeah, good luck on Battlefields, Mr Ennis, and I hope your wish not to touch on Superheroes again gets granted. ...And I say this on behalf of Superhero fans everywhere.
    -Exit the LoneWolf

Founder of the Latverian Resistance: "Down with Doom!"

EXTERMINATE! -Any Dalek

I was going to say the same, though not as well.
    Good day to you Mr. Ennis. Here's to your hopes coming true.

Well... I loved the Boys and i love Superheroes :/

Oh, that's fine, it's just--when someone says that they don't like them and hope they never have to work on them again, well, what does one say to that?

THE BOYS, although about perhaps 15 issues too long, has been a thoroughly enjoyable ride. Billy Butcher is the finest character Ennis has ever created.

I am looking forward to his new output, especially his jaunt into my favourite genre, crime. In a couple of years when he's likely ready to ramp up an ongoing indy series again I'll be more than ready.
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf23k View Post

I don't hate the guy, I can see why he has his fans and such, but here's the thing.. If you don't like Superheroes as a concept, then don't try to write Superhero stories. That's why I can't stand any of Ennis' Superhero-related titles, with perhaps Hitman as an exception. There's parodying a genre, and then there's mocking it with vile hatred, and that's what I get from reading Ennis' super-stories. The Boys was just the most glaring example of Ennis basically telling everyone "This is why Superhero titles are $#!+" that I've ever seen, and I just can't get into anything so mean-spirited.

So yeah, good luck on Battlefields, Mr Ennis, and I hope your wish not to touch on Superheroes again gets granted. ...And I say this on behalf of Superhero fans everywhere.
    Preaching to the choir. Don't get me wrong I like his Punisher stuff but I usually roll my eyes on his other works. Mainly because Ennis to me sounds like a guy who really just doesn't enjoy doing his job.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Mainly because Ennis to me sounds like a guy who really just doesn't enjoy doing his job.
    "I thought about writing it as a novel, but I love comics, I believe in comics, and I still believe you can do absolutely anything with them - so a comic book it is."
    Garth Ennis, on 303.
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!

I think he likes comics--as an art form--but not, from what he seems to be saying here, super-hero stories.

I got burned out with The Boys mainly because I thought they milked it a lot longer than they should have.
    But the original idea was spot on. This was meant as an anti-superhero comic and did that about as perfect as it could be done IMO. I thought it was great but they just pushed it longer that it needed. That's not unlike a lot of comics titles that outstay their welcome. If it's selling, keep making it.
    Last edited by Parch; 09-26-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Agreed. If theres one thing The Boys have over the other comics is at least it has a end point
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf23k View Post

Wow! What a highly ridiculous thing to say and anyone who agrees with this blows my mind.

Sometimes, vile satire is needed especially with a genre that's so far up it's ass (this is coming from a supes fan too) and so lacking in creativity, that it does need kick in the balls to wake it up. The idea that a writer should never touch because YOU don't like what he's doing is ridiculous and straight silly. He has every right to do and I hope he does it more and more because he's spot-on with his criticism of the genre.

Also, if you didn't like this, then dodge Daniel Clowes's Dan Pussey because that's another hard hitting satire and parody of the mainstream comic industry, fans and superheroes.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

I've always had a soft spot for The Boys. In many ways it was the spiritual successor to Ennis's run on Punisher MAX. I never felt The Boys was quite as good as Punisher MAX, but it definitely had its charm. It's a different kind of comic at a time when mainstream books are becoming too formulaic. I applaud Ennis for doing something different with this and I'll be sad to see it end. But I think he's ending it on a good note.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Wow! What a highly ridiculous thing to say and anyone who agrees with this blows my mind.

Sometimes, vile satire is needed especially with a genre that's so far up it's ass (this is coming from a supes fan too) and so lacking in creativity, that it does need kick in the balls to wake it up. The idea that a writer should never touch because YOU don't like what he's doing is ridiculous and straight silly. He has every right to do and I hope he does it more and more because he's spot-on with his criticism of the genre.

Also, if you didn't like this, then dodge Daniel Clowes's Dan Pussey because that's another hard hitting satire and parody of the mainstream comic industry, fans and superheroes.
    Agree 100%. It seems like a few people don't get or don't like the concept of the book that has been pretty much laid out since the solicitations for the first issue.