Default Lubalin's Artwork

Decided to chuck it all in and follow my dream of being a comic book artist. Got a loooong way to go, but just finished my first attempt at a character pinup and wanted to get some criticism!

Last edited by Lubalin; 11-12-2012 at 12:56 PM.

The colours are extremely nice and well-picked.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

If I saw that art in a Wasp series with a great writer. I'd be sold. Awesome art.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Good stuff - it'd be good to see some more

you have alot to work on anatomy wise, also it looks pretty stiff, and research facial structure. If you are really serious about this, start taking loads and loads of life drawing classes, and seriously study anatomy, if you have the passion and determination you will get much better much quickly, good luck I really hope you keep going with this and trying to improve!

You have a really good sense of design, and that's going to serve you well in the future. I agree that you have a lot to work on anatomy to do, but you have a good style to work from. My advice is to study and make lots of volume! Good luck and I hope we see more from you.

Thanks guys, it's a five year plan, so I know it'll take a while. Currently doing a few hours life drawing every week, plus a full class each wednesday on life drawing + anatomy (pretty cool, they even get a doctor in to lecture each week). Then it's just a case of getting the volume in out of work hours!

Working on pencils for now, but just wanted to 'finish' this one for my own satisfaction.

Default Second attempt!

As a follow up to my stab at Ms Pym a little while back, here's my next attempt. Frenzy this time, in her Age of X costume. Any crit appreciated, harsh as you like -- still got a long way to go!

(Didn't bother with inking and colour as it takes too long, and I'm trying to get the basic skillz down first).

Last edited by Lubalin; 11-12-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Finally finished my first sequential page! That was harder than I thought. Apologies for the quality, I don't have a scanner yet, so it's just some photos cobbled together in photoshop.

It's based on the original script for page 1 of issue 1 of Stormwatch team achilles, which is also below.
    I read the issue a while back, but couldn't remember the page at all (it's here for reference - I suddenly have a lot more respect for Whilce Portacio)

I can obviously see a heck of a lot of problems with it, but I'd love some crit, to give an idea of the really awful elements, and flagging up anything I'm doing right (if there is anything). Thanks in advance.

Script:

PAGE 1
    PANEL ONE
    Widescreen panel, big. Early Morning, New York City. The yellow
    morning light shimmers off of the lake as people of all shapes and
    colors run around the Central Park reservoir jogging path.
    We don’t really care about those people, however, because smack
    dab HUGE in the center of this panel, running right at camera, is
    the most beautiful woman you’ve ever seen. She’s short, asian, has
    short black hair and the cutest set of pert b-cup breasts, no bra.
    Her sweaty shirt is stuck to her chest, her nipples clearly
    showing. She’s covered in a thin sheen of sweat and if you’re not
    already getting excited drawing her, then you need to start over.
    CAPTION
    New York City. Central Park. Monday. 0645.
    PANEL TWO
    Widescreen panel, reverse angle on The Beauty’s back as she
    continues down the path. You thought her breasts were nice? Her
    ass will make you cry. Oh, and she’s wearing REALLY short shorts.
    The kind that ride up a little when you run.
    At the left side of the panel runs Coleman, on the right side is
    Santini. Their heads are twisted all the way around to watch the
    woman as she runs between and past them. We can’t see their faces.
    NO DIALOG
    PANEL THREE
    Same widescreen shot. The woman is smaller in the BG. Coleman and
    Santini look at one another with a “damn” look on their faces.
    COLEMAN
    I love the freaks in this city.
    SANTINI
    Better than DC anytime.

Yours is a hell of a lot better than the final product. Your perspective makes all three characters on the page into the subject, as opposed to objectifying the woman and endorsing the voyeuristic male gaze. You also draw characters with much more believable bodies and movements. And you don't have background people doing things that I can't even comprehend and will probably never learn.

Thanks for redeeming that page. I didn't actually read Team Achilles, but given the fact that the writer felt compelled to tell his artist to draw " the cutest set of pert b-cup breasts", I'm kind of glad for that.

Work in progress Wonder Man pinup.

Slow going, but I think there's improvement, would love any crit at this point, thanks.

Your Stuff is getting better and better! Keep going! Can't wait to see your next piece!
    I'm going to send you a PM right now