Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Sep 24, 2012

Tim has read every last one of DC Comics' Zero Issues this month and he reflects on the past year of the New 52. Is he impressed with the magnificent quality or disappointed by what he finds?

Full article here.

No surprises, except the generally poor quality of the Zero issues. This is just a stack of mostly terrible comics with a few worthwhile issues scattered throughout. I liked more than 5% of them, which I guess is…a win? And a few of the comics did interest me in getting caught back up on some of the series I had abandoned months before, but the sheer onslaught of flimsy, pathetic, disengaging, noisy, clumsy and generally forgettable comics was a bit overwhelming. I sincerely hoped that Zero month would give me a chance to revisit the DC Universe. It did provide that chance, but my visit just reminded me how much the neighborhood has changed for the worse.
    The bolded bit, entirely sums up my feeling about the bulk of the New 52 in general. Thanks for your frankness, and measured response. It's refreshing to read a review and summation that isn't from the standpoint of an apologist.

Thank-you.
    Last edited by Schnitzy Pretzelpants; 09-24-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Snark and pretension from a comics commentator's column...how refreshing.

I'm not that big a fan of Zero month because some stories feel kind of forced and it interupts some ongoing storylines like 'Rotworld'.
    But ultimately I'd have to disagree with your opinion, I'm still quite fond of what DC is publishing, and while the New 52 isn't perfect I've accepted the aspects I dislike about it (Mostly the missing or changed characters eg. Wally West, Stephanie Brown, Donna Troy, oh and the disappearance of the whole Teen Titans history). I still buy around 12 DC titles a month and I would be buying a lot more if it weren't for budget restraints.
    Pull list: Aquaman, Batman, Batman Inc, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman Unchained, JLA

Quote Originally Posted by hutchimus View Post
    Snark and pretension from a comics commentator's column...how refreshing.
    Yeah, or maybe you are mistaking someone whose not afraid to be critical with snark and pretension.

It's not like he didn't substantiate why he opines the way he does.

Seemed to do a good job of backing up this with reasons.

I think it's a bit unfair to qualify the New 52 as a failure based on the merit that a majority of it is awful. It's cynical I admit, but that's generally been the case for DC and Marvel since the Early 90s. Mostly bad, a few gems rising to the surface. I tend to judge the year based on what was good rather than what was bad. Whenever you're in the game of publishing an entire slate of entertainment rather than focusing your attention on a very small amount of projects, quality is of course going to fall to the wayside. How many good films has MGM put out compared to bad ones? How many good shows has NBC aired compared to horrible ones? How many good games does Vivendi put out compared to bad ones? It's the same across any industry and while it's a horribly flawed system, I tend not to judge it based on rare nearly non-existent standards. The fact that I'm reading and enjoying 12-13 books (of which you said yourself that 10 of them were worth a look based on #0's alone.) when before I was only reading and enjoying about two really is a testimonial to what is working in the reboot.

Also, I'm a bit surprised to see such a cavalier attitude towards Supergirl, Dial H, and The Flash which I consider to be among the best books being published by the company. Hell you didn't even mention them. It's just a weird desynchronization on your attitude towards the book and what you're actually saying.

Edit: Tim I respect you as a blogger and I've read almost all of your columns on CBR and I follow you on Twitter, but callously mocking me elsewhere is a pretty shitty thing to do. If you take issue with my argument you can actually say something here instead of belittling me for what is ultimately the argument of "Things are usually bad, judging by the quantity and quality of the good rather than the bad is a far better indicator of where they might stand" which I imagine most would consider pretty rational. I've engaged you in multiple twitter discussions all of which were pretty conductive. But to just mock me on your twitter account because "LOL LOOK AT THOSE DUMB FANBOYS ON CBR. AREN'T THEY DUMB AND AREN'T I ENLIGHTENED?" is pretty weak my friend and this kind of attitude is ultimately the reason the internet is the cesspool that it is. Very disappointing.
    Last edited by Mambazo; 09-24-2012 at 08:45 PM.

I was never a DC fan growing up. Marvel's use of real places for their characters created a more, for lack of a better term, believable reality than Smallville, Gothan City, Emerald City etc. Marvel was edgier, darker and just a good amount of grit. Those places and the characters dregged up visions of the Golden Age era versions, Adam West or George Reeves spouting cheesy lines and outdated philosophies. Great for when I was pre-teen but as dull as picnicware

I hadn't purchased or read a comic since the days of John Byrne doing the X-Men when I received a copy of Action Comics #1 from an employee at our company. I have to admit I got hooked. After purchasing and reading all the #1s I made my inital round of cuts. Blue Beetle, Static Shock, Captain Atom, Voodoo, OMAC, Mr. Terrific, Blackhawks and several others did not see issue 2. I liked the revamp on the tried and true characters, especially the direction that was taking place with The Justice League, Batman and Green Lantern. Seeing Pandora in every single #1 issue shows that there was and is a considerable amount of forethought to tieing in the entire DC Universe. We can only hope that it will bear better fruit than some of the past Crisis series (I went back and read them all).

My taste and Tim's are way far apart. Wonder Woman for me has been mediocre writing and even worse artwork. This is a title that gets dropped after issue #0. Grant Morrison is a hack of the highest caliber. Batman Inc. is trash and borderline childish. It is just slightly more appealing than Wolverine and the X-Men. Here are my keepers moving forward:

- Action Comics
    - Animal Man (great storyline Rotworld - made me rethink this one after I cut it on round 2)
    - Aquaman
    - Batman (Night of the Owls - terrific first story arc of the New 52)
    - Batman: Dark Knight
    - DC Universe Presents
    - Demon Knights
    - Detective Comics
    - Earth 2
    - Flash
    - Green Lantern
    - Justice League
    - Justice League of America (upcoming title)
    - Legion Lost
    - Nightwing
    - Phantom Stranger
    - Ravagers
    - Red Hood & The Outlaws (on the fence with new creative team - sorry to see Rockefort off this title)
    - Suicide Squad
    - Superman
    - Swamp Thing
    - T2
    - Teen Titans

- Batgirl / Batman & Robin / Batman Inc. / Batwoman / Catwoman only if there is a story arc across titles (Death in the Family coming up as an example)
    - Green Lantern Corps / New Guardians / Red Lanterns only if there is a story arc across titles (Third Army)
    - Grifter & Deathstroke only if there is a tie in to T2
    - Firestorm / Hawkman / Green Arrow only if there is a tie in to Justice League of America

0 Month has been hit or miss but overall not bad. Just a bit painful buying all of them to go along with the #1s I bought initially. I am anxious to see how the first major 'Crisis' goes with the tie in to Phantom Stranger, Pandora and Spectre.

Leading up to the New 52 with Flashpoint was a bit weak in spots but I have to say it was handled far better than what Marvel is doing with AvX. If anyone wants a set of that cheap I am sellin'. The only titles that look to get my $ from Marvel will be ASM and well okay just ASM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzy Pretzelpants View Post
    The bolded bit, entirely sums up my feeling about the bulk of the New 52 in general. Thanks for your frankness, and measured response. It's refreshing to read a review and summation that isn't from the standpoint of an apologist.

Thank-you.
    I've reviewed about 80% of the #0 issues that have been released (all on my dime) over at my site and I agree with this assessment, except for batman #0 which I found boring and pointless. Generally this feels like a cash grab and nothing more. Pretty frustrated with most of the DC lineup really.
    Last edited by nosocialize100; 09-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Also nice job on this. Enjoyed the read.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Good article.

I'm a big Marvel guy but I'm always ready for new ideas.

I tried a good chunk of the new52 but after a while whittled down my purchases to a few titles namely Batman, Action Comics, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Justice League and Green Lantern New Guardians. From a commercial stand point the new 52 has been a success, no doubt about it but DC could have and should have organized their timelines better. At the moment it's virtually impossible to arrange DCs current continuity.

While continuity and lack thereof doesn't distract from me enjoying a story, DC unwisely focused attention on arranging their continuity whe clearly they hadn't done their homework very well.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Good article.

I'm a big Marvel guy but I'm always ready for new ideas.

I tried a good chunk of the new52 but after a while whittled down my purchases to a few titles namely Batman, Action Comics, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Justice League and Green Lantern New Guardians. From a commercial stand point the new 52 has been a success, no doubt about it but DC could have and should have organized their timelines better. At the moment it's virtually impossible to arrange DCs current continuity.

While continuity and lack thereof doesn't distract from me enjoying a story, DC unwisely focused attention on arranging their continuity whe clearly they hadn't done their homework very well.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

There were 55 #0's not 54.

Glad to know Talon was really good, although I resent the idea that Sword of Sorcery is aimed at creeps. Yes, the attempted gang rape has gained a level of infamy, the way the writer phrased it is like saying that male readers can project themselves onto and relate with the sexual offenders.

Tim's evaluation is disappointing, cynical and dismissive.

What's more disappointing is the report that he's reacted to the reaction in this thread with equally poor attitude. His perspective on Grant Morrison's early years is a key work of modern comics journalism. I'm not sure he still has that perspective...
    Comics Reader

THE EIDOLON NEVER HAD A GHOST OF A CHANCE - Read The Cloak of Shrouded Men.

Petty, bitter, and dismissive. It's too laughable to be taken seriously. Marvel is no better. This is how the big 2 comics are. How do you not know this? Some readers have gotten too old-minded they forgot the irreverence in having fun.

His farce of being "fair" is as funny as FOX news. DC sent me comics, so I'll read them to be fair. lol
    Last edited by fanboiii; 09-25-2012 at 03:12 AM.
    my artwork

What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater? Man of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
    Petty, bitter, and dismissive. It's too laughable to be taken seriously. Marvel is no better. This is how the big 2 comics are. How do you not know this? Some readers have gotten too old-minded they forgot the irreverence in having fun.

His farce of being "fair" is as funny as FOX news. DC sent me comics, so I'll read them to be fair. lol
    I would argue with this columnist that these #0 issues are not fun. In most cases they are boring.