Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Batman Incorporated #0 Preview/Discussion

• Batman, Incorporated wants you!
    • Batman has a war to fight, but first he must recruit an army to combat the menace of Leviathan.
    • See how The Dark Knight assembled his lieutenants!

Full article here.

Wow! A Batman Issue 0 that goes back and mixes classic old Batman concepts and ideas with new meanings and expands them into bigger ideas that tie into the present narrative. Can't tell you how great it is to see that classic scene from Year One being used. Finally one issue 0 for the Bat family that looks great! It's like a love letter to the Batman who used to be.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

Ah man, Frazer Irving? Darn it! Well at least it doesn't have the annoying color filters that his Batman & Robin arc had and there appears to be backgrounds! So there is that.

Nice seeing Dick in the suit again, standing with Damian, too.

Brilliant! I'm amazed by the amount of story references Morrison has woven in 5 pages alone! We have the aftermath of the 'Black Glove' arc with the Club of Heroes, the classic scene from Year One, and a neat conclusion to the sub-plot from the first B & R series of someone embezzling money from the Wayne Foundation!

Also, we FINALLY get to see Dick as Batman in the new 52! And he seems to be wearing...essentially the same outfit as new 52 Bruce, except with a different belt. Hope we see more of Dick in this story.

I'm digging the References to Mayhew's Island, Year One, and the recognition that Dick was Batman for a time in New52. I think Irving is a great choice for the art because of the call back to B&R's climax.

Not reading it because I want it to be pristine on Wednesday, but I'm immensely excited.

And for those following, I've put up another part of my Batman discussion on my blog.

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blog...atman-666.html

Hope no one considers this spamming!
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I'm avoiding the preview as well but have to say that I am SO psyched that Frazer Irving is going to touch this title again. His run on B&R was one of my all-time favorite collaborations of writer and artist. The ONLY variant cover I've purchased in the past 10 years was his cover to B&R #15. LOVED his Joker.
    PULL: Chew, Walking Dead, Saga, Batman, Lil' Gotham, Bedlam, Hellboy in Hell, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, The Wake, Sex, Trillium, Miracleman, Sandman Overture, Rocket Girl, Sex Criminals

I've not seen a lot of Irving's art, and Morrison/Burnham's script seems a bit all over the place, but surprisingly, this looks good. The art looks better than I've seen Irving go before, and the aforementioned script jumps around in a good way. Didn't get the headstone-vision thing though.
    And how do you know it was Dick? What if it was... TIME TRAVEL BATMAN FROM THE FUTURE??? (Hey, this is Morrison, and more importantly, the New 52)

Quote Originally Posted by Rasengan2000 View Post
    I've not seen a lot of Irving's art, and Morrison/Burnham's script seems a bit all over the place, but surprisingly, this looks good. The art looks better than I've seen Irving go before, and the aforementioned script jumps around in a good way. Didn't get the headstone-vision thing though.
    And how do you know it was Dick? What if it was... TIME TRAVEL BATMAN FROM THE FUTURE??? (Hey, this is Morrison, and more importantly, the New 52)
    Um, no. Seeing as this IS the period immediately after ROBW, it makes sense for it to be Dick-Batman.

I do hope that they somehow find a way to bring the Batman Inc suit with the yellow oval into continuity through this issue. Perhaps show him wear this suit when he travels the world (much like the original series).

Quote Originally Posted by Rasengan2000 View Post
    I asked Burnham on twitter, it's Dick in the cowl during the board meeting.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

This looks ok, but I really don't like Irving's art.

I wonder if this issue will finally provide an answer for why Dick quit being Batman and went back to Nightwing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiryu View Post
    Finally one issue 0 for the Bat family that looks great! It's like a love letter to the Batman who used to be.
    Very nicely put. I couldn't agree more.

Tearfully good.

Sorry guys but I think Irving's art looks great here as it has in all of his other contributions to Batman. Yes, the Superheroes themselves don't look classically "superhero" ie "totally badass with seams" and Batman's helmet/mask looks gigantic. But the layout, the panel construction? Even the characters aside from Batman whose costume does look a bit wonky but no more wonky then the exaggerations traditional comics artists take to make him look badass, it all looks stellar to me.

Irving's art here, especially when riffing on Mazzucchelli from Year One brings a haunting ethereal sense to it which I find appropriate to a flashback story. His work is perfect for that page of Batman falling through Morrison's run, becoming less a man as the panels progress and the story truly grows beyond simply Batman vs Crime to The Bat Mythos standing against Evil and more the symbol of the Bat and breaking against Leviathan's banner. As much as I love Burnham he couldn't do that page like Irving did. No one could. I'm so glad to see him back on this book and he's in great form.
    Last edited by Kiryu; 09-24-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together