Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

thanks for the panel report. is it just me or did none of the comics sites cover this?

Cool report Middenway! Especially this:

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Outside of the Panel, I spoke to Mike Mignola and he talked about something I found very interesting. Remember back in 2011 at San Diego ComicCon when Mike Mignola and Scott Allie were talking about a new writer, someone new to comics? Well, I do. I've been wondering about it for a long time. And after today, I now know what it's all about...

Witchfinder.

There's a novelist Mike Mignola likes that Mike thought would be perfect for Witchfinder, but he never thought he'd get him, so he made a list of three other authors that were similar and gave that to Scott Allie as potential writers for future Witchfinder stories. Scott however decided to see if he could actually get the novelist Mike thought he'd never get... and he got him.

Mike is still sceptical. He says he'll believe it when he sees out, but if this happens, the plan is to have this writer do multiple Witchfinder stories. The author may co-write with a playwright (Mike gave no names). Mike did say he would pitch his Jack the Ripper story to this author, and if the author was interested, it may finally get written.
    I wonder whether this writer their input would be meant to become comic pages or either a prose work?
    I mean, since this would be a "high profile / prestigeous / fancypants" writer, so much that even mr. Mike wouldn't dare hope of getting them 'on board' (I'd be guessing someone like Michael Moorcock but that could be way off) - would such a writer feel affinity for a comics format or would they be feeling more at home at doing just a prose format?
    Or maybe mr. Mike or Scott or the artist would be helping at translating the work into comic pages, helping at making it apt for such?

Like, I felt to understand how mr. Mike liked the Odd Jobs or working with Christopher Golden, due to liking to see what "a real writer" would do with mr. Mike's stuff. Since I remember it getting described as such by mr. Mike, if I'm not mistaken.
    But the visual language or graphic storytelling to which comic works may amount to, would foremostly be the prime expertise of mr Mike Mignola himself, both as Richard Corben and Guy Davis and such, I would think? To say the expertise of comic artists/creators more specifically than authors?

And then there'd be the matter of getting a different writer in on a creator-thing, which seems like a pretty delicate or intricate a thing by itself.

Anyway, it could well be it's going to be awesome nonetheless, in fact: I'm counting on that it's gonna. Awesome and way great and no less. Since it'd be Witchfinder after all :-].

I must admit that I feel kind of a wussy, for not being able to come up with more likely candidates but mr. Moorcock. Or Alan Moore - but like Stephen King also, they don't seem newbs to the world of comics. Whereas Moorcock wouldn't be neither, since he did comics with mr Walt Simonson a few years back.

But well, who else? Robert M. Pirsig? Philip Roth? Karen Russell? Lee Ranaldo?

Anyway thanks again for the report Middenway, even if it didn't contain too much personal anecdotes or pictures - or maybe you're saving those for later, due to you being on holiday now. Hope you have a ball.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelio View Post
    There is also a Hellboy T Shirt at the convention
    Attachment 102753
    Wearing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    is it just me or did none of the comics sites cover this?
    All else I could find so far, would be this (short broad interview): http://www.mtv.com/videos/interview/...-mignola.jhtml

Not sure if link is viewable globally totally - Mtv stuff has been notoriously tricky if not impossible to view for some countries, important ones, such as Canada for instance.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    I wonder whether this writer their input would be meant to become comic pages or either a prose work?
    I mean, since this would be a "high profile / prestigeous / fancypants" writer, so much that even mr. Mike wouldn't dare hope of getting them 'on board' (I'd be guessing someone like Michael Moorcock but that could be way off) - would such a writer feel affinity for a comics format or would they be feeling more at home at doing just a prose format?
    Or maybe mr. Mike or Scott or the artist would be helping at translating the work into comic pages, helping at making it apt for such?

Like, I felt to understand how mr. Mike liked the Odd Jobs or working with Christopher Golden, due to liking to see what "a real writer" would do with mr. Mike's stuff. Since I remember it getting described as such by mr. Mike, if I'm not mistaken.
    But the visual language or graphic storytelling to which comic works may amount to, would foremostly be the prime expertise of mr Mike Mignola himself, both as Richard Corben and Guy Davis and such, I would think? To say the expertise of comic artists/creators more specifically than authors?

And then there'd be the matter of getting a different writer in on a creator-thing, which seems like a pretty delicate or intricate a thing by itself.

Anyway, it could well be it's going to be awesome nonetheless, in fact: I'm counting on that it's gonna. Awesome and way great and no less. Since it'd be Witchfinder after all :-].
    It's really interesting you mention this. The next Witchfinder will be the famous author's first comic work, so Mike was saying he and Scott Allie would help with the format, while the plotting and character and dialogue would rest on the mystery author. Mike also mentioned the author primarily writes fiction in the Victorian era. That's what got his attention.

The playwright author would be to help with the format too. Mike seemed interested and very exited to see what they would come up with. He wants to leave them to their own devices for a while and interfere as little as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Anyway thanks again for the report Middenway, even if it didn't contain too much personal anecdotes or pictures - or maybe you're saving those for later, due to you being on holiday now. Hope you have a ball.
    I have no access to a computer while on holiday and writing on the board is really frustrating on a smart phone. I had a half-hour on a computer and got down as much as I could. I will tell more when I have the luxury of time. It was so awesome. I had a perpetual grin on my face.

OK, I have a little time now. I may have to do this in installments though.

First shock was the size of the Con. Holy crap! I could not believe it!

I went wearing a BPRD shirt. I figured if I'm going to wear my heart on my sleeve, it was the day to do it. I made straight for the Dark Horse booth to meet Scott Allie. He's someone I admire massively and I wanted to congratulate him on his new position as Chief Editor. It took me nearly half an hour to work up the nerve to talk to him. I was nervous as hell.

When I finally talked to him, he was great. Really excited about whatever Max and Sebastian Fiumara are working on. At the same time, there were many people wanting to talk to him and I figured the longer I spoke, the more likely I was to make a fool out of myself. I was also didn't want to piss him off by asking for a photo.

I wish I had though. I had no idea American Cons are so casual about that. You guys actually get to talk to your heroes. I was expecting, "Hello." "I love your work." "Glad you like it. <signs something, shakes hand, walks off>

So there was a period of adjustment there.

To be continued...

Two more bits of NYCC'12 coverage,

one on or along the panel: http://comicsbeat.com/on-the-scene-n...gnola-in-hell/;

and an interview: http://nerdbastards.com/2012/10/14/n...going-to-hell/.
    . ~

I had no idea American Cons are so casual about that. You guys actually get to talk to your heroes. I was expecting, "Hello." "I love your work." "Glad you like it. <signs something, shakes hand, walks off>

So there was a period of adjustment there.
    I personally have no clue what a US con would be like.
    Since I've never been to the US, closest I got would be like Kilkee (County Clare) or the Burren in Ireland, which was beautiful and lush albeit all the roads and automobiles were juxtaposed.

But I can say I'll have met some seriously outgoing and heart-warmingly nice people, from the USA also, among which both 'hip' (albeit potentially underground) musicians as well as 'hella groovy' comics creators or their spouses wouldn't seem misrepresented.

Haven't had the pleasure of meeting Editor-In-Chief mr. Scott 'though. As yet.
    Don't think I'd dare ask for a photo now that I think about it. I'd be gutted by even presenting a camera device even if I'd be carrying one specifically for taking photos I'm sure. Although with mr. Mike and Mrs. CB I got one (two), but this was no quick decision - or well it was, since someone else took my camera and made the pictures to be exact. With no discussion.

But yeah, seeing as how any big meetings, let alone gigs or cons or signings or such - or either simply as travelling or in the passing - could have the potential of proving sudden or demanding if not strenuous for really anybody as per chance, any actual good or pleasant times to be had or shared would be something special both as joyous, I would feel.

So, good on that! And much thanks for the further informations and personal anecdote stuff (so far), Middenway. It's really cool to hear.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 10-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    . ~

Thanks a bunch for the report Middenway, I'm glad you got to meet MR. Allie, I'd also like to meet him someday! I've been enjoying reading your con report, I'll be looking forward for the rest (hopefully there will be some pics from your loot)!

It's really interesting you mention this. The next Witchfinder will be the famous author's first comic work, so Mike was saying he and Scott Allie would help with the format, while the plotting and character and dialogue would rest on the mystery author. Mike also mentioned the author primarily writes fiction in the Victorian era. That's what got his attention.

The playwright author would be to help with the format too. Mike seemed interested and very exited to see what they would come up with. He wants to leave them to their own devices for a while and interfere as little as possible.
    Strange & Norrell isn't *technically* Victorian, but your/Mike's lack of pronouns has me crossing my fingers that it's Susanna Clarke.

Sorry to be misleading. It is a male author.

Holy crap, I had no idea he had artwork from Hellboy in Hell at his table in Artist Alley! I was so overwhelmed with the whole experience of the convention that I totally forgot to check out his portfolio. I got him to sign my copy of Next Men where Hellboy shows up for the first time and I got a photo with him, but man, I am so bummed now. haha.

The Hellboy in Hell panel was great though. I really liked how it was basically just one big Q+A. I got to ask Mike about his thoughts on ambiguity in his stories. I really appreciate the mysteries and obscure references that are found across all the Hellboy books and to my great pleasure, it seems like he isn't inclined to answer every question that's been brought up over the years.

I was a bit disappointed that more people didn't ask questions directed at Scott Allie, James Harren and Tyler Crook though. I guess I'm to blame for this as well, but they really should have gotten more chances to shine. Love their work.

Anyway, this was my first convention where Mike was in attendance, so I guess next time I see him I'll be more prepared for all the awesome he brings. If you're reading this, thanks for a great experience Mr. Mignola! You're a true gentleman.

Sounds great. I'm just happy there is more Witchfinder in the future.

Here's the audio for the panel: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=57357

Default ComicCon Report - part 2

Sorry this has taken me so long to get back to. So here's the rest of my more personal report...

Skipping ahead a bit, I went to Artist Alley, which turned out to be my favourite part of the Con. Talking directly to the artists was so awesome, I can't even begin to do it justice.

First stop, Tyler Crook. I only got to meet him briefly (this time) as he was just about to leave his booth, but I got to introduce myself and he grinned saying it was great to finally meet face to face. But, yeah, he had to run off, so that was brief. After that, I was able to look, for the first time in my life, at original comic pages from a professional. This was so cool. I think I had this big stupid grin on my face the whole time. I loved seeing the detail in the inking and the blue pencil lines. Ma'at Crook, Tyler's wife, was there and talked to me about the pages. She was really great, telling me little bits and pieces about each one. It was fascinating and I finally started to realise this is how Artist Alley works. You can just talk casually about the stuff you love! It was awesome!

While I was there I met a fellow fan, Fabian Rangel, who had just bought the most awesome page on display:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fabian.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	103153

He also had an interesting Hellbow:

Name:	Fabian's Tattoo.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	103154

After that I had some fun exploring various tables, (found Jonathan Case and said hello) before making my way towards Mike Mignola's table. There were a few people there, so while they were talking to him, I got to to look at a bunch of his originals of covers. That was pretty awesome. Then I noticed the woman next to me was looking at a smaller book, this one with photocopied pages, uncoloured and unlettered... and I didn't recognise any of them. All at once I realised I was looking at Hellboy in Hell!

So, as soon as I finished looking at the covers, I looked through that little book. This was the best part of the show for me, without a doubt. There's a lot I want to say about it, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone. Personally, I think it looks like the best work Mike Mignola's ever done. Certainly it takes Hellboy to a whole new level. I really can't say any more than that, though I wish I could. You'll love it, trust me.

Anyhow, as I was looking over the comic, Mike Mignola finished talking to the other people and we starting talking as I looked at his pages. There were puppets, and I love Mignola's puppets (I still think The Vampire of Prague should've been drawn by Mike Mignola). Mike was telling me how these early issues are deliberately quite weird as a way of telling audiences, "This is what it's going to be like. If this is not for you, stop reading now."

At some point someone asked about Witchfinder which was when Mike Mignola mentioned the Victorian author thing. I immediately listened very carefully and started asking a few questions, and as you can tell from my report above, I learned quite a bit. I loved the enthusiasm Mignola has for his work. It was a real pleasure to talk to him like this. I really want to see that Jack the Ripper story happen. Mike Mignola clearly has something in mind. He gets this devious grin on his face when he talks about future stories, so you know it's got to be something really fun.

I have a photo with Mike, I couldn't not get one, though I was very hesitant to ask...

Name:	Mignola.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	103155

Travelling from Australia, I did not want to bring a ton of books, so I picked just one, the one I wanted signed the most, The Amazing Screw-on Head and Other Curious Objects. Although I was really surprised to see people walking up with a huge stack of books, getting them signed one after the other and then leaving just as quickly. That just struck me as really odd behaviour. But anyway.

I didn't really get to talk to Christine, as she was occupied at the time, but I did get to say hello at least. And that was it. I was very nervous about speaking, and extremely worried about sticking my foot in my mouth so I didn't really say much. I hope I didn't come off as too much of an idiot.

After this I did some other stuff with my girlfriend before venturing back into Artist Alley again where I found Tyler Crook and said hi. I have to say, Tyler Crook was without doubt the friendliest person I met at ComicCon and we spoke for a long time. There is nothing cooler than having an artist personally guide you through their work. And it's really clear he's a huge fan of BPRD too and geeks out about it. At one point I was talking to him and he's like, "I gotta show you this. You'll get a real kick out of it," goes behind his table and shows me a bunch of sketches he's done of monster designs for future stories and then Mike Mignola's notes and changes. There was about seven pages and it was cool to hear him talk about the design process. He's incredibly humble though. I even, very briefly, saw a glimpse of a page he was working on, though not enough to take in what I was looking at.

And then I went and met Dave Johnson. Dave Johnson looked at me, laughed, and promptly slapped me across the face. In all fairness though, I asked for it. Dave Johnson had announced on his twitter earlier that day to stop by for a complimentary slap, so when I showed up, that is precisely what I asked for. Apparently no one else had done the same. Why would anyone turn down a complimentary slap? While I was there I got to talk to him a little about his cover work, in particular his covers for Wasteland. I also got to watch him draw for a bit, which was kinda surreal.

Then at the end of the evening all there was the panel, where I asked a dumb question. The less said about that the better.

Basically, the con was over much too fast. I had a blast and everyone was a real pleasure to talk to.