Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Sword of Sorcery

"Sword of Sorcery" #0 might have an inelegant title, but Christy Marx and Aaron Lopresti's revival of "Amethyst" is off to a good start, and Tony Bedard and Jesus Saiz's "Beowulf" is strong, too.

Full article here.

I enjoyed the Amethyst story, but I'm afraid that the four dollar price tag is going to kill the comic in the not-so-long run. The Beowulf story failed to draw me in, so considering the price tag, I can't place the comic high on my list of favorites.
    Current favorites: Claymore, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Justice League, Birds of Prey

"Beowulf" is set in the future? W@W! Great job DC! Screwed up YET another classic character! Reminds me of the time DC though it was a genius by putting Jonah Hex into the future and calling it HEX!
    Last edited by Maidman; 09-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Pull list: Almost every Marvel book, Age of Bronze, Captain Midnight, some Dynamite & Image. I AM DC COMIC FREE!

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

please keep in mind profanity is against board rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Maidman View Post
    "Beowulf" is set in the future? W@W! Great job DC! Screwed up YET another classic character! Reminds me of the time DC though it was a genius by putting Jonah Hex into the future and calling it HEX!
    I'm sorry to bust your rant but the new Beowulf back up is actually pretty solid and quite a satisfying if not entertaining read. DC Comics hasn't messed anything up. If you haven't read it then you might want to reserve your judgement instead of spewing like a bad mannered child.

Quote Originally Posted by Maidman View Post
    Beowulf starred in all of six freaking issues of a comic that came out in 1975. "Classic character"? Come the eff on.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

A lot of people are complaining about Beowulf and honestly I think the book can do without it. Amethyst was amazing. A great introduction but then again I would expect no less from Christy Marx. I think once the Beowulf story finishes up they should re-title the book "Amethyst."

However, this is a book that will live and die by sales so tell all your friends to pick it up. It is a great fantasy book that if successful could open the door to the expansion of fantasy in comics.

I actually liked the back-up and it's one of the reasons I'll be back for #1.

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Same here.

Beowulf did not intrest me either. Amethyst was also kind of cliche in parts but still enjoyable.

Reposted from the preview/discussion thread:

Man this book was awesome!
    Okay, so the opening few pages were a little cliched, and the rape scene seemed really sudden - just a threatened rape would have been out of place, but a gang rape was seriously icky. Biut on the other hand, it was a good set up to allow Amy to kick not just one but a gang of punk's asses.
    But everything else was terrific! The art was lush and colourful, and the setting was fantastical. It set up the character dynamics nicely withoit feeling rushed.

Oh, and Constantine. Now that's a twist!

I loved the back-up to, but then I'm a sucker for technofantasy settings. Saiz's art was exceptional, even better than his work on Birds Of Prey, and that should be impossible. I love the JHW3-style double page spread.

I'm definitely gonna add this to my pull list, and recommend it to everyone.

And I agree with other posters: between this, Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Birds Of Prey and Supergirl, this is THE week for kickass DC women!
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Count me in as someone who loved the "Beowulf" back-up, as well (although the Amethyst lead was none too shabby). Of course, part of me is REALLY hoping that design over his heart-area has something to do with Ben Boxer....
    Last edited by Hardy Gilbert; 09-20-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: I don't proofread....

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Ditto. This book is one of the very few where the double content for $3.99 is a real value and worth every penny. You've got a successful relaunch with breathtaking art in Amethyst, plus a dark, edgy and intense Beowulf story enhanced by rich artwork from Jesus Saiz and colorist Brian Reber. This is an above-average comic book which injects new life into the fantasy genre from the Big Two publishers...something that the market sorely needed.

Smart review of a smartly-produced double feature. Everyone should check out Sword Of Sorcery. Highly recommended.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

just wanted to add that I enjoyed both features; as a long-ago Amethyst fan, I was a little put off by some of the Amy story, but that's the new 52 style, sort of like old skin sloughed off a snake so the shiny bright new skin can make its appearance.
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

It was okay. I didn't hate it or anything but I'm unsure if I'll pick up the next issue. It's hard to justify the price tag for $3.99.