Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Lobster Johnson: Caput Mortuum, #1

"Lobster Johnson: Caput Mortuum" is a thrilling pulp tale by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi and Tonci Zonjic that pits Lobster against Nazis on a zeppelin.

Full review here.

I really enjoyed this issue, possibly my favorite of the week, it's definitely in my top 3 books of the week.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue, possibly my favorite of the week, it's definitely in my top 3 books of the week.
    Agreed! Great comic, lots of pulpy fun!

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

Lobster Johnson needs an on going!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    Lobster Johnson needs an on going!!!
    Why? By working this way Mignola has time to come up with lots of ideas and juggel them around ,see what works and what doesn't, plus he has got BPRD, Baltimore and Hellboy to work on. Also Hellboy in hell is an ongoing.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

I agree with Blaster: it's nice to have a Lobster pop up unexpectedly; it's always a treat, and the irregular publication keeps it an unexpected treat. it's nice to have a comic I don't feel tied to in a long continuing story, too.
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blastermaster View Post
    Why? By working this way Mignola has time to come up with lots of ideas and juggel them around ,see what works and what doesn't, plus he has got BPRD, Baltimore and Hellboy to work on. Also Hellboy in hell is an ongoing.
    He also working with other writers with those series. So with the extra help he can maybe do a mini-series or monthly one-shots (which is what I hope happens with Lobster).
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    He also working with other writers with those series. So with the extra help he can maybe do a mini-series or monthly one-shots (which is what I hope happens with Lobster).
    He did on mini-series not too long ago called lobster Johnson: the burning hand. It hasn't even been collected yet. Plus he's also drawing as well as writing Hellboy in Hell. Either way Lobster Johnson will either have three more one-shots or a 3 part mini-series down the road seeing how one TPB = 5 issues. BPRD is as of right now basically an ongoing series, so Mignola has a lot of stuff to do, so an lobster Johnson ongoing or a mini series right now is unlikely.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blastermaster View Post
    He did on mini-series not too long ago called lobster Johnson: the burning hand. It hasn't even been collected yet. Plus he's also drawing as well as writing Hellboy in Hell. Either way Lobster Johnson will either have three more one-shots or a 3 part mini-series down the road seeing how one TPB = 5 issues. BPRD is as of right now basically an ongoing series, so Mignola has a lot of stuff to do, so an lobster Johnson ongoing or a mini series right now is unlikely.
    I know all this. Also, it just isn't Mignola, it's Mignola and company and company has also done a lot of work too.

I'm saying (I should have been more detailed), that he can easily rally up another writer and artist (Zonjic or Torres or both, both doing alternating months) to some more minis or one-shot monthlies.

Agree with you though, it won't happen but it could happen, and he can share the work with other creators.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

The current plan is for Tonci Zonjic to do the larger 5-issue stories, while various artists will handle the shorts. As soon as Where Is Jake Ellis? is finished, he'll get started on the next Lobster Johnson miniseries.