Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Elder Member

Loved the book. I was wondering what happened to Ace. I think the Outsiders and the Black Council are connected, because wasn't that knife that infected Maeve find it's way to her, in a round about way, via the Council?

Also, I was a little confused. Bob said that the mantles change people, that Lily was gonna be just like the last Summer lady. But when they meant, that hardly seemed to be the case...

As for Mac, I'm betting that he was a hybrid who 'chose' to be faerie or whatever, and then went back on his choice. In the end, the ability to choose does seem to be pretty defining for the characters.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by felix77 View Post
    Really? Where did you hear that?
    I haven't read anything in the forums over at jimbutcher.com but I say that because the Nickelheads and Ivy were in Books 5 and 10.

So its not for certain. The Dresden Universe is such a rich place. I hope the future books will continue to explore the other factions. No need to rush off towards youe Apocolypse Trilogy, Mr Butcher.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Also, I was a little confused. Bob said that the mantles change people, that Lily was gonna be just like the last Summer lady. But when they meant, that hardly seemed to be the case...

As for Mac, I'm betting that he was a hybrid who 'chose' to be faerie or whatever, and then went back on his choice. In the end, the ability to choose does seem to be pretty defining for the characters.
    For point one, I would guess that by the time Harry met Aurora she was already deeply infected by the Outsiders. Lily was what Aurora would have been like before that.

For point two, Mac is definitely someone who was supernatural but left it behind. The 'watcher' thing says angel more than fae to me. So I'm going to go with Mac is a Nephilim: a child born of a human and an angel.

Also: Mab was once a human?! I'd love to hear more about that.

So which is your favourite books of the series?

Changes and Dead Beat are my picks.

Small Favor and...Summer Knight, followed closely by Cold Days.

I mean, with the exception of Fool Moon and Grave Peril (Which were hamstringed by my dislike of werewolves and ghosts), I've loved all of them.

So its not for certain. The Dresden Universe is such a rich place. I hope the future books will continue to explore the other factions. No need to rush off towards youe Apocolypse Trilogy, Mr Butcher.
    from WOJ: here be the video link relevant at 57:51.

First off, the two likely titles:

Bag Man
    Skin Game

Plot information:

It's a heist!
    He doesn't outright say so, but the implication is that he's heisting with the Denarians. ("The problem won't really be the heist so much as the people he has to do the heist with. Because this is a book number that's a multiple of five, so the Denarians are back.")
    Michael's likely coming off the bench.

Hmmm....

My interpretation was that the big man did his thing to get them there on time, and Odin slipped in and grabbed a mask for further backup.

As for Mac.... my guess is that he's an ex-something. Whether up or down or sideways, I have no clue yet. My guess is sideways - either an ex-fae (maybe a previous knight or an equivalent affliated with the Wild Fae), or a "retired" einherjar or the like.

I'm also calling it now - Harry faces the dragon, but Marcone is the one who kills it after it threatens some kids, while weilding one of the swords.

I am also expecting at some point to see an old army man/boxer, a member of a marching band, and a nurse all show up alongside our favorite janitor somewhere down the line.
    Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Death Masks is another favorite of mine. The Denarians are such cool villians.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Loved the book. I was wondering what happened to Ace. I think the Outsiders and the Black Council are connected, because wasn't that knife that infected Maeve find it's way to her, in a round about way, via the Council?
    Plus don't the Outsiders require someone on Earth so open up the door for them? Seems that would be right up the Black Councils alley.

Well he could of meant that the mantles eventually change you, but Lily has only held the mantle for something like a decade. Granted Harry's mantle started changing him quite quickly, but who knows. Summer seems to represent chaos and Winter order. So the time it takes for it to change a person might vary.

Plus I'm not sure if we really saw much of Lily prior to her becoming the Summer Lady. It's also possible having a Summer Knight like Fix might of helped her remain more or less herself.

Yep that's what I love about the series. You never know who is going to show up at any given time.

So which is your favourite books of the series?

Changes and Dead Beat are my picks.
    I'd say Turn Coat, Changes, and now Cold Days. Especially Changes and Cold Days since they just had this epic feel to them. The book I like the least would have to be Ghost Story.
    Last edited by Surtur; 12-08-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

I'll go ahead and put this here since this is the recent thread.

From WOJ:
    I'm pretty sure this will never make it into the actual Dresden Files, since Harry has no idea the Oblivion War is happening, along with everyone else. So I'll share it here.

The Archive was constructed /for/ the Oblivion War. Specifically.

Yes, the Archive (and Ivy, the two aren't really divisible) know about these forgotten beings. The Archive is in essence the keeper of the dead, where they are concerned. Once the archive believes one of them has been consigned to oblivion, she holds on to the memory of that being briefly, for another thousand years or so, watching for any mention of that being in print in an effort to make sure that she is the /last/ person alive who remembers whichever hideous entity has been consigned.

And once the safety period has elapsed, and the Archive is confident that no one else remembers, she deletes the memory from the Archive. Bad guy, /gone/.

She also tries to keep track of the enemy players in the Oblivion War via watching for communications and so on. When she finds a trace of them, somewhere, she lets a cell of operatives (like Lara and Thomas) know what's up, through a blind drop, and sends them off to handle the problem.

The Oblivion War is a huge, /slow/ thing. Stuff happens every few decades, at most. That's why the Archive was created--to be an immortal awareness, something that could track and intelligently direct responses to the enemy in a war happening on an almost geological scale.

All that other stuff she says the Archive is for? Smoke and mirrors.

Kincaid, by the way, has no idea that the Oblivion War exists. It isn't like Ivy explains this stuff. She just gives orders.
    I would buy a series of novellas based on this info.

Did Jim Butcher say that? If so this new info is awesome!

Did Jim Butcher say that? If so this new info is awesome!
    It is WOJ which means= Word of Jim, so yea he did say that stuff.

I wonder when the Mass Paperback version of this will be out?

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I wonder when the Mass Paperback version of this will be out?
    It's usually a year, give or take a month.
    Expletive Deleted