Page 373 of 668 FirstFirst ... 273323363369370371372373374375376377383423473 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,595 of 10006
    A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

What if Daleks had Highlander-Style immortality?
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    Because at this stage, it's entirely expected that if a Religious organization is a major plot point, it's because they're secretly evil or a huge sham hiding a dark secret.

In this case, it starts out looking like this is what's going to happen, then it turns out that nope, they're actually what they say they are and are going to help you. Any large enough organization will pick up a few shady members.
    Hmm...well if that's the impression that the organization gives from the get go, courtesy of a few corrupt members, then it's actually expected that people will expect the entire organization to be evil.

I mean, people judge things based on their limited perception of them, not because of what they really are.

Regardless, would it help if other characters went "Yeah, this organization is totally evil' as opposed to "They're actually good guys, just because this guy is evil doesn't mean they all are" or hinder the twist?

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

There could only be one Dalek? <_<

Came down with a virus last night. Been feeling lousy all day.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX2000 View Post
    Came down with a virus last night. Been feeling lousy all day.
    Let me cheer you up with a funny thought I had yesterday: In the writing business, you go the cons to meet the pros. XD

...Did that help?
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Has anyone ever seen a story where the villain loses because he's so much smarter than the hero he ends up overestimating him? Kinda like: "Nobody would be stupid enough to try this tactic! It's obviously a trick."
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

So, a downgrade, then?
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a story where the villain loses because he's so much smarter than the hero he ends up overestimating him? Kinda like: "Nobody would be stupid enough to try this tactic! It's obviously a trick."
    There was that time Luthor hired someone to use a computer program to figure out Superman's secret identity. It figured out Superman was Clark Kent. Luthor thought it was the most ridiculous idea ever, and promptly fired the person and had the program erased. Granted, that was more of a pride issue, I think, than intellect.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

Yes.

Most commonly, it kinda goes like:

"Hey, look behind you!"

"...Is your mind really so juvenile that you think I'll fall for-"

*Gets eaten by a Dragon*
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    So, a downgrade, then?
    Not really: They're the same, but only actually die if the pilot is decapitated.

How you even manage to decapitate a squid is something of a logistical problem of course.

A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Different, but similar.

In Douglas Adams' "Meaning of Liff" book (or it might just be in the extended version, The Deeper Meaning of Liff, but I don't think so) there's a definition that is as follows:

ABOYNE (vb.)
    To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

yo yo yo. it's the biggest mack of the yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Yes, Yes. I'll bite the bullet. My case was gotten on. We can't win em' all.

Not really: They're the same, but only actually die if the pilot is decapitated.

How you even manage to decapitate a squid is something of a logistical problem of course.

I imagine the Daleks determine that logically it would be more tactical to select one Dalek to become the last one remaining and just submit to that idea instead of infighting. The question is, would the Daleks gain a quickening?

That's how they beat nigh-unbeatable strategist Keyser in Exit Fate.

They just charged his position from the front and Keyser was so convinced that nobody would be that suicidal (let alone another general that he respected who had already managed to make him retreat once, several years ago) that he ended up sending half his army to the other side of the island to counter the pincer attack that was surely coming.

The train of thought was more complicated than that, of course, but the idea was to play the "I know he knows I know..." game with Keyser, which he'd inevitably win, except you stop several steps before he does so he moves to counter a move that you haven't even bothered to plan.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Different, but similar.

In Douglas Adams' "Meaning of Liff" book (or it might just be in the extended version, The Deeper Meaning of Liff, but I don't think so) there's a definition that is as follows:

ABOYNE (vb.)
    To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.
    I think Napoleon might have said something along the lines of: "Never underestimate a reckless opponent who has no idea what he's doing."
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck