Page 353 of 668 FirstFirst ... 253303343349350351352353354355356357363403453 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,295 of 10006

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I may have just got the Yellow Light of Death on my PS3...

;_;
    So sorry for your loss.
    • Running on Adrenaline and Sheer Willpower.
    • Trying to Stay Sane in an Insane World.
    • Why Should Time Have Wings and Not I?
    • Born in Wrong Comic Book Universe

;_;
    Damn. Maybe it can be repaired?

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

;_;
    I don't even have a PS3. ;_;

There was once a strong and righteous paladin who had sworn a holy oath to always aid the innocent and defenseless and to safeguard them from evil.

One day he rides by a tower and hears a woman cry for help from the topmost window. She claims to be an innocent maiden who has been imprisoned against her will by an evil knight, who refuses to let her out unless she agrees to marry him. The door to the tower is locked by a magic seal, and the key will only turn for the knight who locked it, or one who has bested him in combat. She pleads to the paladin to kill the knight and release her.

Moments later the knight himself appears. He tells the paladin that it is true the tower can only be unlocked by himself or whoever defeats him, but claims everything else the maiden said is a lie. According to the knight, the woman is really a terrible monster in disguise; a demon that was sealed in the tower as no man could slay it. He stresses that the door to the tower must never be opened.

The paladin cannot tell who is lying and who is telling the truth. Whenever one makes a claim, the other claims the opposite. If the maiden is telling the truth, his oath demands that he aid her. But if the knight is telling the truth, the same oath demands that he ensure the tower remains locked.

What should he do?
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Archnemesis of Reason FarBeyondC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    There was once a strong and righteous paladin who had sworn a holy oath to always aid the innocent and defenseless and to safeguard them from evil.

One day he rides by a tower and hears a woman cry for help from the topmost window. She claims to be an innocent maiden who has been imprisoned against her will by an evil knight, who refuses to let her out unless she agrees to marry him. The door to the tower is locked by a magic seal, and the key will only turn for the knight who locked it, or one who has bested him in combat. She pleads to the paladin to kill the knight and release her.

Moments later the knight himself appears. He tells the paladin that it is true the tower can only be unlocked by himself or whoever defeats him, but claims everything else the maiden said is a lie. According to the knight, the woman is really a terrible monster in disguise; a demon that was sealed in the tower as no man could slay it. He stresses that the door to the tower must never be opened.

The paladin cannot tell who is lying and who is telling the truth. Whenever one makes a claim, the other claims the opposite. If the maiden is telling the truth, his oath demands that he aid her. But if the knight is telling the truth, the same oath demands that he ensure the tower remains locked.

What should he do?
    Assuming the knight's outside the tower, take him to someone better able to determine if he's telling the truth.
    "That which does not grow falls into decay."

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

What should he do?
    He asks them each one question -

To the Knight he asks, "Sir Knight, If I ask it of you to swear this oath, will you fight me to the death, even knowing that I am a terribly bad fighter and most likely to lose?"

To the Lady, "My Lady, I am not a decent man and would make for a horrible husband who would make your life miserable. Will you swear an oath to marry me upon my defeating this Knight and freeing you from this tower if I so ask it of you?"
    Last edited by Tami; 01-06-2013 at 09:46 AM.

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

What should he do?
    You see ths?

This is why they have Detect Evil.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

You know, it could be that both knight and lady are evil, and have plotted together to ensnare and destroy people like this one paladin.

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

Quote Originally Posted by FarBeyondC View Post
    Assuming the knight's outside the tower, take him to someone better able to determine if he's telling the truth.
    There is nobody near. Also, the knight refuses to leave the tower unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    He asks them each one question -

To the Knight he asks, "Sir Knight, If I ask it of you to swear this oath, will you fight me to the death, even knowing that I am a terribly bad fighter and most likely to lose?"
    The knight replies that as the defender of the tower, he must accept any and all challenges. Though, he adds that he would rather not fight the paladin.

To the Lady, "My Lady, I am not a decent man and would make for a horrible husband who would make your life miserable. Will you swear an oath to marry me upon my defeating this Knight and freeing you from this tower?"
    The woman replies that she would, since she would be indebted to whoever rescues her, but that she would find the arrangement disagreeable as she would rather marry out of love.
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

The knight replies that as the defender of the tower, he must accept any and all challenges. Though, he adds that he would rather not fight the paladin.

The woman replies that she would, since she would be indebted to whoever rescues her, but that she would find the arrangement disagreeable as she would rather marry out of love.
    The Paladin then speaks to the Knight "If I ask it of you, will you Lock me in the tower so that I may slay the Lady? For as bad a fighter as I am with Mortals, no demon has ever bested me in combat, so far."
    Last edited by Tami; 01-06-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

What should he do?
    Return to town for more information.

No, really. Logically, the veracity of either of their claims can be verified by asking the locals. Surely, they would be aware of this knight, at least, and can probably hold some clue as to the identity of the woman.

(What the paladin would do largely on what kind of person the paladin is, however. "Strong and righteous" covers a very broad spectrum. It's unlikely that the paladin would just leave the woman and run off to investigate the truth, but that might be what he should do.)

In that case, he should probably challenge (and hopefully defeat) the knight, and then offer to take the knight's place as defender of the tower. If the knight speaks truly, he should have no problems accepting someone superior to him taking over the task of preventing the escape of such a fearsome demon. And if not, there's no way he's going to leave the woman alone- even if he goes about it in a more indirect fashion.

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The Paladin then speaks to the Knight "If I ask it of you, will you Lock me in the tower so that I may slay the Lady? For as bad a fighter as I am with Mortals, no demon has ever bested me in combat, so far."
    The knight says that if he could, he would gladly let the paladin make the attempt, but repeats that the door to the tower must not be opened, even briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol M View Post
    Return to town for more information.

No, really. Logically, the veracity of either of their claims can be verified by asking the locals. Surely, they would be aware of this knight, at least, and can probably hold some clue as to the identity of the woman.
    The locals who know about the tower only know as much as the paladin himself. They don't go near it, partially because they fear the knight and partially because they fear his story might be true. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is that neither the woman nor the knight are from the area, but rather arrived from some other place.
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by FarBeyondC View Post
    In that case, he should probably challenge (and hopefully defeat) the knight, and then offer to take the knight's place as defender of the tower. If the knight speaks truly, he should have no problems accepting someone superior to him taking over the task of preventing the escape of such a fearsome demon. And if not, there's no way he's going to leave the woman alone- even if he goes about it in a more indirect fashion.
    But if the paladin takes the knight's place, then he is the one keeping the woman prisoner. If the woman is telling the truth, that would actually be worse than simply leaving the knight to carry on his vigil, since now the paladin is partially to blame for keeping an innocent woman locked away.
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Sol M View Post
    (What the paladin would do largely on what kind of person the paladin is, however. "Strong and righteous" covers a very broad spectrum. It's unlikely that the paladin would just leave the woman and run off to investigate the truth, but that might be what he should do.)
    It occurs to me that to an actual medieval person, the "correct" answer would probably be to challenge the knight on the assumption that God would not allow the knight lose if he was indeed righteous, nor would he allow the paladin to lose if the knight was false.

I guess moral dilemmas were much less common back then.
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck