Page 283 of 668 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333383 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 10006
  1. #4231
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....
    Posts
    7,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    In fairness SpongeBob wasn't that bad. At least when talking about the Pre-Movie stuff anyway.
    I think that was Falcon's point - that Spongebob was good, but everything else around at the time..... wasn't.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

  2. #4232
    Lest We Forget The Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In the darkest regions of my mind
    Posts
    12,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    There have always been great cartoons and there have always been shit cartoons. The "good old days" of cartoons sucked a lot more than people remember, and the current stuff is just a lot less discerning because now they have a lot more slots to fill, so its easier for the quality stuff to get lost in the shuffle.
    True. Which is why I enjoy cartoons like Adventure Time, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and Regular Show. Cause there's crap like Annoying Orange and the hopefully gone "Problem Solverz" cluttering the airwaves with trash.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

    - C.S. Lewis

    Dory St. Johns on Wikicadia

  3. #4233
    Archnemesis of Reason FarBeyondC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Capitol of Dreams, Alabama
    Posts
    7,669

    Default

    *Ignores the concept of time zones*

    What are you people doing here, it's like 5 in the morning!

    I'm only here because I had to pull an all-nighter (which is shaping up to be an all-dayer as well).

    At least the repair process for this netbook is easy, unlike the monstrosity I had to deal with Thursday.
    "That which does not grow falls into decay."

    Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

  4. #4234
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....
    Posts
    7,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeyondC View Post
    *Ignores the concept of time zones*

    What are you people doing here, it's like 5 in the morning!

    I'm only here because I had to pull an all-nighter (which is shaping up to be an all-dayer as well).

    At least the repair process for this netbook is easy, unlike the monstrosity I had to deal with Thursday.
    Well, even NOT ignoring Time Zones I usually get up at 5:15 in the week, so it's entirely possible.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

  5. #4235
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dream Realm
    Posts
    22,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    I can't exactly explain why I like the show thoroughly, but I remember seeing a stupid thing in an early episode so dumb that I couldn't help but enjoy it and stick with the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampaGen View Post
    It has the trappings of a children's show, but is written in a way that has a sort of nostalgic hindsight. The show in a way can be seen as a sort of send-up to simpler days of wacky imaginary adventures full of boundless excitement and bromance.

    They run with that premise sincerely, then throw in bizarre gags and dark themes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Well it reminds me of the goofiest things me and my friends did when I was very young, I like the voicework, and it's just got "IT" I guess. It's halfway to a guilty pleasure though.
    I guess I'm just not seeing "IT" then. It's not bad, but I just feel apathetic about it.



    There's the occasional musical bit:

    Oh, good god... >:|
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

    I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

  6. #4236
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    27,570

    Default

    I fucking love Adventure Time.

    Seriously, it's possibly one of my favourite animated series of all time.

    I see a lot of people not knowing exactly why they like it but I don't have that problem personally - I know exactly why I love it.

    For me it's the sheer creative exuberance of the thing that's the real draw. Finn and Jake are likeable and quite subtly complex characters who are fun to watch just doing things, the land of Oo has literally almost anything you could imagine in it - undead Lich Kings, cities of thieves, living mountains, secret towns of wizards, undead lawyers, snow giants, demonic penguins, evil deer people, psychic tandem war elephants, tiny villages of living houses, whywolves, underground fish people, parallel timelines, giant fighting barns, kingdoms of fire elementals and candy people and Abraham Lincoln is the King of Mars. There's a breadth of imagination that you seldom see anywhere else but it's all unified within a largely cohesive world.

    The writers are writing for kids but their writing and themes are intelligently presented and mature enough to be appealing to adults as well. There are all kinds of running themes of adolescence, romantic awakening, responsibility, love, parenthood, duty, hope and living with extreme tragedy and loss. It's episodic but there are also overarching plots and subtle stories that can be enjoyed over a more protracted time period.

    Above all, it's so fucking happy. I mean, when I first moved the capital and was living in shitty basement apartment doing a crappy job with barely any friends nearby, I watched the first two seasons of Adventure Time a lot because it was better than focussing on my own kind of crappy circumstances. It was a pleasant escape from the drudgery of my day-to-day ennui and I greatly appreciated the relief.

    So yeah, I love Adventure Time.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

    Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

  7. #4237
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....
    Posts
    7,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I mean, when I first moved the capital and was living in shitty basement apartment doing a crappy job with barely any friends nearby,
    Huh. For some reason, I thought you'd always been a Londoner. Where are you from originally, if you don't mind me asking?
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

  8. #4238
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dream Realm
    Posts
    22,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I fucking love Adventure Time.

    Seriously, it's possibly one of my favourite animated series of all time.

    I see a lot of people not knowing exactly why they like it but I don't have that problem personally - I know exactly why I love it.

    For me it's the sheer creative exuberance of the thing that's the real draw. Finn and Jake are likeable and quite subtly complex characters who are fun to watch just doing things, the land of Oo has literally almost anything you could imagine in it - undead Lich Kings, cities of thieves, living mountains, secret towns of wizards, undead lawyers, snow giants, demonic penguins, evil deer people, psychic tandem war elephants, tiny villages of living houses, whywolves, underground fish people, parallel timelines, giant fighting barns, kingdoms of fire elementals and candy people and Abraham Lincoln is the King of Mars. There's a breadth of imagination that you seldom see anywhere else but it's all unified within a largely cohesive world.

    The writers are writing for kids but their writing and themes are intelligently presented and mature enough to be appealing to adults as well. There are all kinds of running themes of adolescence, romantic awakening, responsibility, love, parenthood, duty, hope and living with extreme tragedy and loss. It's episodic but there are also overarching plots and subtle stories that can be enjoyed over a more protracted time period.

    Above all, it's so fucking happy. I mean, when I first moved the capital and was living in shitty basement apartment doing a crappy job with barely any friends nearby, I watched the first two seasons of Adventure Time a lot because it was better than focussing on my own kind of crappy circumstances. It was a pleasant escape from the drudgery of my day-to-day ennui and I greatly appreciated the relief.

    So yeah, I love Adventure Time.
    Put like that, I can see the appeal. I guess for me, though, it's too much of a kids show, and that kind of "anything and everything grab-bag of fantasy" is already kind of old for me.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

    I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

  9. #4239
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    27,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Huh. For some reason, I thought you'd always been a Londoner. Where are you from originally, if you don't mind me asking?
    Nah, I originally hail from a small town near Portsmouth. Southerner that I am.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Put like that, I can see the appeal. I guess for me, though, it's too much of a kids show, and that kind of "anything and everything grab-bag of fantasy" is already kind of old for me.
    Eh, if it's not for you it's not for you.

    I mean, this proves that you hate fun and are lame forever but that's just how it is. ;P
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

    Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

  10. #4240
    The Skylord FalconX2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    22,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    In fairness SpongeBob wasn't that bad. At least when talking about the Pre-Movie stuff anyway. Also I think Avatar and Danny Phantom came during that era so it's all good. The only downside to Nick right now is it's live action shows. Pete and Pete, All That, Are You Afraid of The Dark, Keenan and Kel, The Tomorrow People, Secret World of Alex Mac, Salute Your Shorts, and Clarissa Explains It All were the high points of the era when the live action shows on Nick used to be good. Instead of intelligence insulting garbage.
    Spongebob started in 1999. Avatar in 2005.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I think that was Falcon's point - that Spongebob was good, but everything else around at the time..... wasn't.
    SpongeBob isn't horrible, but it shouldn't be the most successful show an era has to offer. Granted, it was just 2 years before Justice League came out.

  11. #4241
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....
    Posts
    7,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Nah, I originally hail from a small town near Portsmouth. Southerner that I am.
    Ah, right. I know that area fairly well, cos I have cousins from Chichester. Lost count of how many days I spent on the beaches at Wittering as a kid.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

  12. #4242
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    27,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Ah, right. I know that area fairly well, cos I have cousins from Chichester. Lost count of how many days I spent on the beaches at Wittering as a kid.
    Ha, I went to school in Chichester and have likewise spent much time on the beaches at the Witterings.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

    Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

  13. #4243
    Have Robot, Will Smash Iron_twister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I dare you to guess where i live...
    Posts
    4,979

    Default



    I got to say, for a really epic war movie, it's damn good with these scenes. :)
    "This is the energy that caused the extinction of your race! Now die again!"-Musashi Tomoe

    It's better to burn out, than to fade away!-The Kurgan

    Please.........I go through everyone's trash.-The Question

    "I said, I'm singing a song. And when someone's singing a song, YOU DON'T SHOOT THEM!"-Kenji Endo

  14. #4244
    Blind Resolve Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,549

    Default

    ...

    ...

    So I kind of want to put a rant here. I mean yeah I could rant in other places but this spot seems to lack most of the complications.

    The white and blue also kind of make it rant appealing.

    I'm not a fan of ranting though... that and I kind of want to vent by punching someone instead of a ranting in this case.

    That would be rude and I would be hitting an old guy in this case so double rude.

    Anyway, Today's Lesson: "Giving lots of money to people is a sure way of finding out how much of a jerk they are inside."

    Which everyone knows, but seeing it happen sure is something... meh, got to go now. Got to vent.

    Venting. Not punching.

    Promise.

  15. #4245
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,894

    Default

    Just bought Dark Knight Rises and Bourne Legacy, what to watch first?
    Good God man! Why are you slapping a monkey.

    Foley, Stop healing the assassin!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •